Studying make-up in Ireland

Updated 2010-11-15 11:21

If you are from overseas, you can still study in Ireland and without paying a fortune. Overseas students tend to have to pay a premium to study certain courses and at certain colleges and  must also pay for their fee  in full if they require a letter from the college to attain a visa/extend their visa.

Mostly the price differential comes from a few facts. For instance, colleges providing their non-EU students with the required health insurance, language support and such.

Alas, if you are coming to study in Ireland, it can be easy and affordable for you to do so. Perhaps the college will allow you to pay the fee via instalments where feasible and the college maintains the fee the same by allowing you to attain your own private health insurance and perhaps a better deal in regards to the same.

If you are going to study in Ireland, make sure the college you choose is a reputable establishment and if you are going to study make-up artistry, you might want to ensure that the qualification you attain is an internationally recognisable qualification, such as a qualification awarded by ITEC.

You will need to study a course that is at least 26 weeks in length and that sets attendance to at least 15 hours per week. Student visas in general allow you to work for 20 hours per week.

The information below provides a great reference and checklist for non-EU students.

International students already in Ireland

If you already have a Visa and would like to Study with us, you just need to contact us to arrange an informal interview with our Education Coordinator to make sure the course you have selected is the best course for you before enrolling. If you require to renew your visa during your studies, the college will provide a letter stating your status as a student with us. The letter can be taken to the immigration department together with the required documentation. Please contact the visa section of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform for a list of documents you must present with your student visa application.

Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform

Visa Section
Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service
Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform
13/14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
Telephone (within Ireland): Lo-call 1890 551 500
(Helpline available 10:00am to 12:30pm Monday to Friday excluding Public Holidays)
Telephone (from outside Ireland): + 353 1 6167700
(Helpline available 10:00am to 12:30pm Monday to Friday excluding Public Holidays)
Email: [email protected]

Note Please note you also must be able to pay for your course and you must possess health insurance. Further, you must have basic English in order to understand the course materials.

Re-entry Visas

Your first visa for Ireland will be a single entry visa. If you have a valid reason for leaving Ireland for a short period of time, you must apply for a Re-entry visa in advance of making any arrangements. The International Office will provide you with a letter for this purpose provided that you have registered with GNIB and are attending your course. Supporting evidence of the above will be requested before a letter can be issued. If you are travelling from Ireland to a country other than your own country, it is your responsibility to find out if you require a visa for the third country. NOTE: a visa must be obtained from the UK authorities prior to travelling to Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland consists of Counties Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone. You will also require a visa to re-enter the Republic of Ireland. A multi-entry visa will allow you to leave and re-enter the State any number of times within the dates shown on your visa.

Study Visa Renewal

You are responsible for renewing your GNIB registration card each time it expires. If you are studying over a number of years, you must renew your card for the coming academic year. The college will issue you a letter to support this provided you have been attending your course and fulfilling all the necessary requirements. Any breach of your visa conditions will lead to a review of your case and possible removal from the State and/or bar on re-entry. Garda National Immigration Bureau Address Garda National Immigration Bureau 13-14 Burgh Quay Dublin 2 Tel: +353-1-6669100 | E-mail at [email protected]
Usual Opening Hours: to Monday - Thursday & 9.30 am to 4pm Friday.

International students not already in Ireland

Immigration Regulations

1. EU citizen

You do not require an entry visa for Ireland if you are a EU citizen. However, you should bring with you your letter of confirmation of a place at the college and proof that you have sufficient financial resources for your stay.

2. Non-EU citizen


If you are not an EU citizen, the situation varies depending where you come from, so please contact your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate to find out whether or not you require an entry visa or you may enquire from the Department of Foreign Affairs at the address provided below. The Department also provides a list of countries whose citizens require visas for Ireland.

The list of non-EU countries whose citizens do not require entry visas :

Hong Kong (SAR)*
Korea (Rep of South)
Antigua and Barbuda
El Salvador
Czech Republic
New Zealand
Saint Kitts and Nevis
San Marino
South Africa
Vatican City
Macau (SAR)
Saint Vincent and The Grenadines
Trinidad & Tobago
Western Samoa
Slovak Republic
Solomon Islands
Costa Rica
Saint Lucia
UK & Colonies** (some colonies require visa)

The following address will provide you with detailed information on immigration:

Department of Foreign Affairs,

80 St Stephen's Green,
Dublin 2
Tel: 353 1 4780822
Fax: +353-1-6331052/1053

Applicants are asked to supply the following information when applying for a visa to their local Irish Embassies:

  • Valid passport number

  • Date of issue and expiry of passport

  • Date, place and mode of arrival in Ireland

  • Letter from the college indicating that you have been offered a place in the course with the college

  • Letter from college indicating that the fees have been paid in full

  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover living and other expenses for the proposed stay

  • Recent passport photographs

  • Visa application fee (non-refundable)

  • Proof of medical insurance

In some cases proof of English, such as an IELTS or TOEFL certificate is required

These documents should be sent to your local Irish Embassy. Visa applications can take between 2 and 8 months to process, so it is advisable to secure a place early at the college, in order to avoid disappointment. Unfortunately we have no control or influence over visa issues but will advise where possible.

Registration with the Immigration Authorities in Ireland:

Students from outside the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA)

After arriving in Ireland, all students from outside the EU or the EEA must register at the Garda National Immigration Bureau ( ) (GNIB). The date by which you must do so will be indicated by the Immigration Authorities at your point of arrival into Ireland. Please bear in mind that a visa only permits you to enter Ireland and does not guarantee you a right to remain in the country so you must register within the timeframe indicated. It is important to note that on entering Ireland you will be given a status by the immigration officers that cannot be changed within the State, e.g. if you enter as a tourist you may not change this status to a student without leaving Ireland and re-entering.

When registering with GNIB you will need to take along:

  • A valid passport

  • An entry visa (where applicable)

  • Student Card from college, valid for the course duration

  • Evidence of financial support (e.g. current bank statement indicating your name / a letter of guarantee from a parent or guardian indicating the availability of sufficient funds to cover you during your period of stay in Ireland / letter from your sponsor, confirming financial status)

  • Proof of your residential address in Dublin, e.g. a utility bill showing your name and address or a letter from your landlord/student residence confirming your address.

  • A letter from the colleges indicating that you are a registered student at the college

  • There is a Department of Justice, Equality & Law Reform charge of â¬100 each time you register. This can be paid by credit card. Otherwise the Immigration Officer will issue you with a bank giro form and request you to complete this and return again with confirmation that it has been paid.

  • Checklist of Documents Needed on Arrival

  • Please ensure that you have the following documents upon arrival in Ireland:

  • EU/EEA Citizens:

  • Passport

  • European Health Insurance Card

  • Acceptance letter from the college

  • Non-EU Citizens:

  • Passport

  • Birth Certificate

  • Entry Visa (if applicable)

  • Private Health Insurance

  • Acceptance letter from the college

  • Letter from college, stating that you have paid your fees in full

Department of Foreign Affairs -
Garda National Immigration Bureau -
MakeupFabLicious Academy -

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.