Bringing a child with you on student visa

Hello! I`m a citizen of Mongolia who`s planning to move to Dublin some time this year or early next year. I`ll attend a language school at first and then master`s. I`m a single mum to 6 year old boy and I`m naturally intending to bring my son with me.

Unfortunately after doing some research, I found that Ireland does not allow students to bring any dependents. Even if they`re children. Which is quite an extreme violation of human rights, don`t you think? No one should be forced to choose between their child and education in my opinion. I`ve heard several cases of parents bringing their child into the country with a visitor visa and then hired an attorney and successfully changed the visa type. Did any of you had any success with bringing your child with a student visa? Thanks in advance!

Hello,

You are right and wrong at the same time.

But you also need to analyze the situation coolly. Being a single mother is already difficult in everyday life when she is in her own country. So what it must be when it is in a foreign country where the person knows nothing. And this is the analysis made by the official administrations.

In addition, you will have to manage your studies, a job after day if your financial income is limited. To this you will have to add the fact of finding a school for your child, taking care of him, ... I am not saying that you would not be able to but ...

There is also the fact that immigration thinks that if you come with your child, you will look for a husband ...

Either way, I wish you luck.

Obviously I would hand over the proof that I can financially support myself and child to the officials when I'm applying for a Visa.

According to the immigration logic even if I were to come together with let's say a husband and child, they'd still think we're going to stay there illegally as a family don't you think?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Try another country - you can do it in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Whatever the European country (brexit or not), the immigration services handle dozens of cases every day. This means that they have all set up +/- valid filtering grids.

Out of curiosity, I read your previous posts. I have no doubt that you are largely capable of assuming the situation. But........

And regarding your last remark, the immigration authorities will be even more reluctant to grant you access to their territory.