Marriage in Brussels

Hello folks,

Me and my partner married in Sri lankan legally. (I'm a Sri lankan and Partner is a Belgian).

Can the marriage be registered in Belgium according to the Belgium law without my physical presence...by submitting apostled marriage certificate from Sri Lanka?

99.99% sure they will ask to see you both, physically at the embassy in New Delhi to register your wedding (and they can deny it if they think that your wedding is not legit!)
Your partner should contact them.

Thank you for your reply Alex.

That means: It's possible to register the marriage according to belgium law but my partner and I need to be most surely be physically present at the Belgium Embassy in New Delhi?

Yep!
There's no Belgian Embassy in Sri Lanka.
New Delhi's one is responsible for India/Sri Lanka/Nepal/Bangladesh/Maldives/Bhutan.

So.... that's where you'll need to go together to register your wedding + interview :)

But contact the embassy before going to New Delhi!
As you'll have to give them papers (birth certificate, marriage certificate, copy of your passport, ....... ==> apostled every single papers on your side) + you'll have an interview to proof you really know each other and that your main goal is not to have European papers and that your wedding is not fake.

https://india.diplomatie.belgium.be/en/ … e_in_indiahttps://india.diplomatie.belgium.be/en

Thank you Alex  :cheers: for prompt and informative responses.

My wife and I have been married for 3 months the now..she is in Belgium and I'm here in Sri lanka..I wish to join her in Belgium and live there.

Our marriage is done according to the Sri lankan law (I have every certificate and all documents apostled)

Can you please tell me which of the options below has a better chance for me to join her?

1. I directly apply for family reunification visa type D from VFS New Delhi with all needed documents

OR

2. Get our marriage registered in Belgium embassy in New Delhi and then apply got family reunification visa?

Which is quickest/best and the easiest?

(I promise to try to keep the above as my last question 😁)

First choice is impossible if you didn't registered your marriage certificate to Belgian administration... So, you're not even eligible to do it.

For your understanding, your marriage is only valid in Sri Lanka, and not (yet) in Belgium!
==> You are not yet a family member of a Belgian Citizen in Belgium, as your marriage isn't registered yet!

So, 2nd choice.
The Embassy will book an appointment to interview both of view.
If everything went right, your marriage will be validated.

It will take 6 months+ after you submit your application to have an answer.
Just don't miss any papers or you'll be denial and you'll be forced to start the hole process from the beginning.

I have a different opinion. In my knowledge, you can go also with option 1. I know many couples who did so., even very recently.

You can apply for family reunion with Belgian spouse (visa type D) in the consulate that covers your place of residence (in your case - New Delhi).

Key Documents:
- Marriage cert (apostilled)
- Your birth certificate (apostilled)
- Whatever additional proof you can give about your relationship.
- Insurance undertaking
- Proof of future Acommondation (your spouse's registered rental contract in Belgium)
- Proof of financial means form your spouse (salary statements, bank statements)
- Other mandatory documents as the consulate may suggest

Hi Aneesh,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked with the Belgium Consulate of Sri Lanka and they confirm that I can apply with the Sri lankan marriage certificate with an apostle endorsement.

The same list of documents you have enlisted is what they requested me to have and there we sone additional ones too. I will meting them below for the benefit of other applicants..

1. Divorce certificate (in case of previous marriage). Belgium strictly doesn't support Polygamy. Before they give you a visa they need to know that there are no other strings attached in case I would want to bring them later once I get the resident visa.

2. Medical certificate from a certified doctor

3. Police clearance certificate mention crime free records min for last 10 years or from time of birth.

Question:
What evidences can prove our relationship?

Whatever the place, if the file is not well prepared and the interview too, it may be problematic with the current situation in Belgium.

Here are some examples of questions:

SURVEY:
How long have you known your spouse / partner?
Is there a family relationship between you?
When and where did you meet for the first time?
Detail the circumstances of your meeting.

QUESTIONS RELATING TO FOREIGN SPOUSE
Where do you live?
Do you work?
Have you studied?
Have you ever been married? Nationality of previous spouses.
If applicable, who requested the divorce; for what reasons?
Do you have children (first name, age)?
Have you been in touch with man, a woman in Belgium before your wedding?

QUESTIONS RELATING TO THE SPOUSE IN BELGIUM
What is the name and surname of your wife?
What is the age of your spouse? date and place of birth?
Where does your spouse live? address?
Does he / she alone?
In what type of housing?
Has he / she been already married; nationality of previous spouse (s)

QUESTIONS RELATING TO MARRIAGE
Was your spouse's family present?
Who were your witnesses? the witnesses of your wife? (Check foreign spouse consent if young girl or very young)
Was there a religious wedding?
Has your spouse converted to your religion?
Has there been an inquiry with local authorities; when did you start the process?

COUPLE PROJECTS
Where do you want to live? Why?
In what housing?
Would you like to work?

The official list has more than 80 questions...

This is a standard questionnaire that can be used by belgian administration. They do not have to ask all the questions and they can add questions according to the evolution of the interview.

Thank you phipiemar! This is really detailed and informative.

They would probably ask these questions over the phone when we apply for the visa D (ter 40 art).

I needed to know when applying for the Visa D, what type of evidences/documents that I can submit to prove our relationship apart from the certificate of marriage?

Hi Sysarshad,

I am an Indian and i married my Belgian husband in India, and just joined him in Belgium.

-No, you cannot register your marriage in Belgium until you move in here
-The least the Belgian Embassy based in New Delhi can help with is give an confirmation that your partner is single/divorced/windowed, and she is eligible to marry you in Sri Lankan. In India this confirmation is very much required to register a marriage with a foreign national , you need to consult the process of marriage registration with a foreigner in SriLanka.
-Once you get your marriage registered in SriLanka, the next step is to apply for reunion visa with your wife in Belgium or VISA D. I advice you to  be very care of all the documents,
-It is compulsory for your partner in Belgium to be working for at least a year with specified salary on dofi website.
-She should also hold health insurance which can  be shared with you
-She must rent or own an apartment
-If during the visa process in case there is any change in address or job, it is necessary to inform the dofi.
-The proof of relationships like marriage certificate, pictures, travel tickets, Emails screen shot etc etc will be of great help.

Hope i have included all important notes, please ask your partner to go through dofi carefully, because the website is in dutch or french, and sometimes the google translator can be misleading.

Message me in case of more questions, Happy to help!

Ankita

I cant thank you enough Ankitaa!

- I have married her according to the Sri lankan law and all legal documents apostled
- In the process of applying for VISA D.

-It is compulsory for your partner in Belgium to be working for at least a year with specified salary on dofi website.
SHE HAS MORE THAN THE SALARY AMOUNT AND SAME JOB FOR 8 YEARS. WE ARE INCLUDING 6 MONTHS STATEMENTS

-She should also hold health insurance which can  be shared with you
SHE HAS MUTALITE AND HER MUTALITE HAS GIVEN HER A LETTER SAYING I WILL BE COVERED ONCE I'M IN BELGIUM

-She must rent or own an apartment
SHE IS ON RENT AND WE HAVE THE LEGALLY REGISTERED COPY OF THE CONTRACR WITH HER NAME AS THE TENANT

-If during the visa process in case there is any change in address or job, it is necessary to inform the dofi.
COPY THAT!

-The proof of relationships like marriage certificate, pictures, travel tickets, Emails screen shot etc etc will be of great help.
WE HAVE COPIES OF HER VISA TO SRI LANKA 4 TIMES IN LAST YEAR AND WE WILL INCLUDE SCREEN SHOTS AND PICTURES

The million dollar question? HOW LONG WAS THE PROCESSING TIME?

Thank you so much for all of you for being the light for many miserable people ❤

was about 6 months !

When did you apply? Which year?

I have inboxed you everything!