Card A- temp residence permit and unlimited work permit

Hi all,

I have a single permit Card A - temporary stay for foreigners. on the backside of the card, I have the information Marche du travail(work permit)- illimite. This is my 5th year in Belgium and I received a single permit Card A in 2019 valid for 3 years.

My question is:

1. Card A & Card B concern my type of stay (residency) in Belgium?

2. In my case does this mean that I have an unlimited work permit as long as my resident stay is valid and I can change my employers?

3. Because this is my 5th year in Belgium, work & stay uninterrupted, I can apply for Card B with unlimited work permit conditions?

I'm looking for a change in employer and I hope with an unlimited work permit in my current card A, it shouldn't stop me from moving to a new employer right?

Your answers will be appreciated.

thank you in advance

Best regards
Rahul

Hello,

1) type of card define your RESIDENT stay (temporary - permanent) (A,B,C,D,E,E+,F,F+, national)
Permanent resident are automatically renewed as long as you are living in Belgium. (I said living, not working)

2) yes exactly. You don't need a work permit anymore and you've full access to work in Belgium. You don't need the approval from the government anymore.
You're on your own, like a local Belgian / EU.

3) You can indeed apply for the B card to become a permanent resident, or even the D one (if you've been working for 5 years with higher salary).

You already have unlimited work permit (automatically after 4 years of stay in Belgium).
And what you're going to do now is to request to become permanent resident ==> B or D card.

Just remember that when you announce to your boss that you'll stop working for company "A", you'll still have to work XX days for them (calculate on how many time you've been working for them)
You can only start working for company "B" when it's done.
Make sure how much days you've to still work for company A before signing the contract with company B (as there will be a start date written in the contract!)

Thank you Alex for the details explanation. Very much appreciated. Also, noted the info about the notice period you mentioned.

I guess permit B is still a foreigner visa with 5 years validity and Permit D is more like a permanent resident? Will do some research.

Thank you again

Best
Rahul Rathod

They're not visa, but resident permit ==> resident permit > visa
Both B & D are permanent resident card, but if one day you want to settle elsewhere in Europe, the D one has more advantages & less administration to be done, that's the only big difference between both card.

By the way, you said your card has Illimite on the back side and you received it in 2019?
And this year is your 5th year? So I assume that you had stayed for 3 years at the time of 2019?

From my recent experience, your new employer still need to request a new work-permit even if your single permit type A has some long validity, also its clearly written at the back "limited access to labour market", card A is linked to your current employer sponsorship, so a new WP must be requested.

@mohan garg On the backside of the card it is mentioned "illimite" - unlimited work permit.  The card A is for temporary residence as Alex mentioned above.

Dear Forum members,

My situation is related to the discussion but slightly different.

I have a single permit Card A and I am going to complete my fourth year in Dec this year (my card expires on 1 1 2023). now in my case my employer has applied previously for the work permits and I go to commune to collect the residence card. My current RP card says Limite.

I have below questions regarding my application this year:

1. I suppose my employer will apply again for my new RP card as the current one is going to expire so if I understand correctly the new RP which I would be getting would provide me unlimited work permit as I would be completing my 4 years of continues stay and job in Belgium?

2. Do I need to ask my employer to apply for certain category like card B or D , or it will be by default a B card?

3. My salary is above the required amount, so I hope that would not be a concern?

I would be really obliged for any of your guidance.

Thank you !!

Best regards,
Nitish Jha
@Nitishkjha2018

If you're employer is going to renew the work permit it will be limited duration. For unlimited work permit you have to apply on your own after you've completed 4 years of uninterrupted work in Belgium.

Card B or D - These are residence permit. You can upgrade from Card A to B or D after 5 years of stay in Belgium.

In my case, i had unlimited work permit mentioned in my card A before i completed 4 years of work permit and it was mistakenly typed, the authorities confirmed.
@raulrathod
Is unlimited card A also employer bound ? Or one can switch employer without submitting new wp request? And can unlimited card A be applied if you have completed more than 4yrs uninterrupted employment (even though its mix of expat + local permanent contact) ? And do one need to wait for the expiry of existing single permit card A (limited) for submitting unlimited card A application? Thanks for clarification. 
Below condition Copied from public website:

- In all other cases :
you need to justify four years of employment covered by a single permit or a work permit, over a period of ten years of
lawful and uninterrupted residence in Belgium immediately preceding the application

What is the meaning of “over a period of 10years” here ? Can someone please clarify? Thanks
@mohan garg

Card A is recieved after you have a work permit. First you received limited work permit and then you go to commune and they give you card A. After 4 years of limited work permit you can apply for unlimited work permit. Employer won't apply for unlimited work permit, employee should apply.

In the 5th year.. you will have card A with unlimited work permit (assuming you have received unlimited work permit after 4 years).

After 5 years of completion you should apply for card B or D at the time of renewal of your residence permit. Your unlimited work permit is already existing.

@raulrathod is expat period counts in 4years for applying unlimited wp ?

@mohan garg

I don't know about expat period. I do know that if you've paid social security in Belgium.. than that counts. But i see that there are new rules for expats from 2021/22.
@raulrathod Thanks a lot for your reply.

I was not aware that the employee needs to apply themselves good to be aware of this now, I have few follow up questions may be you can help with them.

1. Do I need to inform my employer if I am applying to the commune for unlimited work permit?

2. Also, do you have any idea what documents (other than mentioned below) I would need to apply for the same?
    - My current A- Card
    - Latest job contract (I have a permanent fulltime, job contract from my employer)
    - Salary Slips?
    - Any other documents?

Thanks in advance!!

Best
Nitish
@Nitishkjha2018

It's better to inform your employer. Don't see any harm in that. But it's your call. I'm not sure but 8 read somewhere in the forum that the employment authorities will contact the employer about their employees unlimited work permit.

The documents to be sent are in the link

On how to apply section.
@raulrathod Thanks for your reply.

When can we apply for the UWP, I mean only after completing the 4 years of period? or we can apply few months before like we do for the resident permit?

I didnt found the information at the shared link so if you have any idea?

Thanks again!!

KR
Nitish
After 4 years of completion. In the Fifth year and not at the renwal of 4th year

@raulrathod Thanks a lot for all your support !!

Hello!

I got approval for unlimited single permit (work permit + residence permit) now i am not sure if i need to go to commune and ask for new A card as my current one has labour market limited. My current A card is valid until 2025 so i am thinking what not to apply for new A card now and after 6 months directly go for L card.

My question is it necessary to apply for new A card when you get approval for unlimited single permit.

@hssn601 I am exactly going to be in a situation like yours.

I am applying for the indefinite single permit in Flanders. Me and my family already have a residence permit valid till Aug 2025. As I see, I will be provided a new residence card valid for 1 year after approval of my indefinite single permit. Do I need to apply for issuing new ID card with same validity for my family as well? Or can they continue with their existing single permit that is still valid?

Does this whole process have impact on work status of the spouse working on the dependent work authorization?

@raulrathod Can you find where you read that your employer is contacted when you apply for an unlimited work permit? I am really interested in knowing why they contact them.

Thanks

@fabowuapp I believe they do not contact your employer when changing to an unlimited permit. My dossier to change work permits was opened one day and approved the next - less than 24 hours later. I doubt they contacted my employer in that short period.

@patiltush how much time it took to get unlimited one? i applied for it 2 weeks back. not sure if it takes same time as normal single permit?

Once someone has an A card with unlimited work permit, what is the process needed to change jobs once a new work contract is signed? Do you have to inform your commune that you have changed employers, or send then a copy of your new contract?