Help on job offer (salary)

Hi All,

I am being offered by a private company in Valletta a position as a junior accountant with 22k salary. Is this a good salary to start in Malta?

I am currently a CPA in my country, working as an advisory professional (management consulting) in one of the big 4 auditing firms with 2 years in.

Hope this gets noticed lol. Thank you!!

Welcome to the Forum :)

Yes, €22k is a good salary for a junior accountant.

I'd agree, €22k is around what you would expect as a junior accountant in Malta. If you do a good job most companies would probably increase that to €25-€26k after your 6 month probation.

Thank you both for the reply!

My next concern is, do employers process the work permit? What do i need to do next after accepting the job?

For TCNs outside of Malta the employer needs to submit the application on their behalf. The processing time used to take 8-12 weeks but is always improving.

You really have to wait out this period - however anxiety inducing this may be.

Eur22K after taxes will net you around Eur1400 a month - although you won't pay any taxes in the first year of employment and only begin to on 1st January of the next year. Here's a tax calculator http://maltasalary.com/

22k after tax, it will be 1400 euro, based on the above accommodation, rent 600, food, 300,
utilities+transportation: 100, internet 100, then nothing left, how could survive there for people who come from another country?

MaltaAugust2014 wrote:

For TCNs outside of Malta the employer needs to submit the application on their behalf. The processing time used to take 8-12 weeks but is always improving.

You really have to wait out this period - however anxiety inducing this may be.

Eur22K after taxes will net you around Eur1400 a month - although you won't pay any taxes in the first year of employment and only begin to on 1st January of the next year. Here's a tax calculator http://maltasalary.com/

you will find nowhere to live today for 600 unless you rent a room in a hour share

@MaltaAugust2014 regarding what you said about no taxes being charged on the first year are there certain conditional for that or is it applicable to all TCNs

Iscobar wrote:

@MaltaAugust2014 regarding what you said about no taxes being charged on the first year are there certain conditional for that or is it applicable to all TCNs

It should apply to all TCNs. I joined my employer on 22nd August 2014 and there was no tax deduction until 31st December 2014. I only had to pay NI. The tax framework began to be applied from 1st January 2015 (whatever your tax bracket may be).

I have checked with other TCNs and they have confirmed that they did not have to pay any tax from the starting date till 31st December of the same year.