Sending and receiving packages in Ukraine

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Ukraine?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Ukraine?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

hi there
There are company's that do regular runs to and from Ukraine, the cost is £1.30 a kg. min 10 kg. delivery is normally via Nova Poshta. (very good service). you can use UPS , and FEDEX. you need to contact them.

From Ukraine to UK can take up to 10 weeks. from UK to Ukraine it depends on who you use. There are many items that are not permitted here. The list is long and complex. but in short .no meat,fish,spices, home made stuff, coffee, tea. anything else only one item. ie. 1 bar of chocolate etc etc. Most privet company's will carry what ever you give them within reason.

There is a company in Ternopil region that delivers between Ukraine and UK every two weeks, he collects and delivers mainly in Western Ukraine and the London area but uses a relative in London who will recieve and send other parcels to other parts of the UK, I used them a lot when I was living in Ukraine. He pretty much takes anything apart from cigarettes and tobacco which are a massive no no because of customs in Dover.

I have used several services between the U.S or U.K. (I ship 3 or more packages each month)
and Ukraine ...FedEx, UPS, DHL, Meest (MICT), Nova Poshta, and the UKR mail service.

Although expensive, FedEx, UPS, and DHL are all very reliable. I prefer DHL because they have a larger presence in Ukraine and most of their employees speak English. But, using them for anything except really important, time sensitive things can get costly, very costly. A simple letter is $100. Delivery is 2 to 3 days.

Meest  (Mict in Russian/Ukrainian) is very reliable and reasonable. About $5/kilo by air and $3 by sea. Air service is slow, about 3 weeks from the U.S. (sea takes about 5 weeks) and 10 days from the U.K. They have a private customs office that can clear packages in 1 day and you can pay the duty up front for convenience...this is a huge plus.  They will ship anything including automobiles...I had a big SUV sent by sea delivery for about $1200 from the U.S. A queen size memory foam mattress by sea (50 kilos) was about $125. I use this service for everything except time critical items (DHL). Their employees speak English in the U.S. and U.K. but not here.

Nova Poshta is very good too. They have offices all over. Most employees do not speak English but they will ship from almost anywhere. Delivery is usually 2 to 3 weeks depending on customs.

The Ukraine mail service is unreliable and very slow. Packages disappear regularly and there is no insurance. Stay away from the national service.

Ultimately, I  recommend DHL for time sensitive items and Meest (Mict) for everything else.