Keeping in touch while living in Ukraine

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Ukraine? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Ukraine? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

From my experience most Ukrainians use Viber, in the same way as they use VK rather than FB. Viber is very similar to Skype.

Most professionals seem to have a Viber account, we call them free from the UK using this service.

My experience is that WhatsApp has become much more the prevalent way to keep in touch.  Great app!  Video works great too.

What'sApp is great to stay in touch.  And as long as you have Wi-Fi it's free.

Hi all

Living in the Ukraine, is for most parts a breeze, but when it comes to calling back to friends and family can be a little hard or expensive..
Viber and whatsapp are grate for mobile to mobile ( cellphone to cellphone ) for you guys and gals over the pond. But when it comes to land lines, it can get a little tricky. The best and bar far the cheapest and easiest way is Skype. Ukraine to England less than 3 a month unlimited calls to land lines. You can get other packages that cover the world.
So easy and simple . Oh and i dont work for them or get payed buy them. It ready is that cheap

I rise to second Martin's comments about Skype.

I've found it most reliable and inexpensive option for calling landlines back home.

I have used Viber and WhatsApp also for mobile-mobile ( wifi based ) communication - but to have to give Skype the nod for quality and reliability.

I also have no affiliation with skype other than being a satisfied customer