Pets in Ukraine

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Ukraine have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Ukraine? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Ukrainians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, bunch of tropical fish.  Had a parrot.   There are some really good vets so if you look around, you'll find someone that can take care of your animals if you need help.

Ukrainians in general think of dogs as guard dogs.  They aren't pets to them.   This is a fact.   I was appalled when my friend Sveta asked me if I were going to take my dogs to Brazil and Japan and Europe.    I asked why?   And her reply.  " Oh I guess they are pets". 

Not the first time I got this question and answer.  Dogs are for protection if you live in a house.  If you live in an apartment it MIGHT be a pet.  But the way that most people take care of pets is pretty sad by 1st world standards.

Cats just come and go.  Most are just feral creatures coming in and out of peoples' homes.    Dogs are treated as work animals.

People don't pick up after their dogs take a dump either.   This should tell you the amount of recognition and thought given to taking care of animals.   If you don't get what I am talking about,  obviously you are either a CIS nation person or have never had a pet.   

Overall pets they are not.  Just some sort of amusement or work animal to many.  I am not going to say all.  But many people I talked  to have this attitude.

I don't look down on this  because this is a different world.   Heck some countries even eat dogs and cats.   This is life.

Ive noticed the same thing. Especially in villages,dogs and cats are usually not let inside at anytime of the year. They might have a dog house which may or may not have an old filthy small blanket for them to lay on. They dont seem to care about them like we do in the US.  However I have seen some Ukrainians that do care deeply for their pets.

Pets?  I feel for animals here.  Some people really do take care of them.  But in Kharkiv, during mating season for cats, it is a combat zone.  We have a cat, very well taken care of and never let outside.  The vets are great and you can meet some great animal lovers at the Vet.  Beyond that, life is hard for them.

I can't speak about any animals except for dogs in Ukraine. All of my friends have the same breed of Ukrainian/Russian dogs and many of us have met at shows throughout Europe. All of our dogs are not only big guard dogs they are also part of the family. In order for me to bring my dogs to Ukraine I need to have all vaccinations current and the International health certificate has to to filled out by my vet and the USDA. If I'm in Ukraine for an extended period of time I must have a new international health certificate for my dogs to bring them home. All of my current dogs originally came from Russia.