Obtaining permanent residence

I am halfway through the process, and if there is anyone interested I can detail my experiences about the process up to today. I am English and married to a Urainian woman for the last 7 years.

Congratulations! Why did you waited for so long (7 years). You could have done this after 2 years of your marriage. Anyway I think your experience must be useful for other expats.

I waited because 3 of those years we were in England , prior to that I was doing a border run with my wife to either krakow for a long weekend or Istanbul , consequently I did not feel the need to go through the process. We have now decided to make our home permanently in Ukraine. I am writing this from England having had to return to obtain the new type D visa. I will go through the process in a different post.

To begin the process, I had to obtain a visa in my passport, the local passport could or would not begin the paperwork without a visa. Having got ja 6 month visa, from the consul in London, I returned and filled in a form and gave them a copy of my driving licence which has a U.K. Address  on it. I also paid a little something to help the process, after about a month I was given a document which basically says that they agree I can stay in Ukraine permanently, at that point I was told I had to return to  London and apply for a type D permanent residence visa, at a cost of £885. I arrived  in London 2 weeks ago paid my money handed in the application form and waited 15 days . I collected my passport and visa yesterday and now on my return I have 3 days in which to inform the passport office and show them the visa. I believe  there are more forms to fill and more waiting, hopefully I will then receive a residence card. I will keep you informed of my progress.

Hi :)
Why do you need a D type Visa if you are married to a Ukrainian Lady ? I have lived here 3 years in May . I have been married 1 year . Your Wife should be able to give to you resident's here , If she own's her own apartment , If not her parents can give you residents .
It starts with 3 months 2 times , then 6 months 2 times .
Then you will get a 2 year residents stamp on your passport .
After this your a resident of the Ukraine .

Not sure about any of what you have said, I investigated all possibilities and this seemed to be the only option now, we jointly own our house and have done since 2005. We were married in 2004 in Crimea and I have been registered at that address since purchase. It is not a problem and if you have found a cheaper way round it then brilliant. The ovir locally are now awaiting my return, I will then fill in another form the girl dealing with application will take this and my passport to Simferopol and according to her a short wait??? Will see a permanent resident stamp in my visa!  I will let you know.

all very intersting. anyone know about work for Ukraine married
Foreigners with House and property in Ukraine.

vlodimir wrote:

all very intersting. anyone know about work for Ukraine married
Foreigners with House and property in Ukraine.


What do you mean? Do you mean investing 100 th Eur in Ukraine in order to obtain the permanent residency?

I went to ovir today and they told me they couldn't give me the 4th 6th month extension on my p1 visa and I need to get to a embassy outside Ukraine (we went to the one in Moldova before since its a lot cheaper than me flying back to the USA) and get the new 'D' visa.. then after returning I need to bring it to ovir and they will give me a one year temp residency stamp..then after that one year is complete i will get one more year as a temporary resident...finally after two years I'll get a permanent residency stamp... geez..I couldn't believe it.. my wife and I will be married 2 years Aug 28th, 2012... 4 years total to get this permanent residency stamp...


ps.. the sub code on the new D visa should be 03/13 (rejoining family)

Hi guys I am a Filipina, from Philippines, I have obtained permanent residence in Ukraine but before they grant me a Permanent residency I've been through a lot of hard times. My husband was born and grown up in Estonia,the parents were Russian and Ukrainian,but he took Ukrainian citizenship, and permanently live and work in Ukraine.

The first time I went to Kyiv Ukraine was year 2002,that time there wasn't a "Fiance visa" in Ukraine. So I took "Private visa" for the purpose to meet my fiance and get marriage. The "Private visa" was just valid up to maximum of 3 months. We've got married right after I arrived in Ukraine, and we've got surprised that I couldn't take a permanent residence in Ukraine,even though we were legally married; they explained that we don't give permanent residence,unless you exit Ukraine and re-apply for "immigration visa" and "permanent residence certificate".

But they said you can only apply for a " permanent residence" if you are "at least married to Ukrainian in 2 years.

It was very bad that after wedding I have to leave my Ukrainian husband right after my visa expires.

It was really pin in the ass;I did not want to leave my husband and he feel the same, we afraid of losing each other so we decided just to extend my visa.Another headache comes, they only extend 1 month and I had to pay $350 for 1 month visa extension;My passport filled with visa extension and it hurts  our pocket. I've decided to start everything from the beginning.

I returned to Philippines,and waited 2 years, it was very sad. After 2 years of waiting I already collected all requirements needed for my application for "permanent residence" in Ukraine, I made it authenticated by Department of Foreign Affairs in Mania, I took medical certificate,birth-certificate,college certificate,NBI clearance,Police clearance,Marriage certificate SECPA copy and made it authenticated.I filled the "permanent residence application form"" and sent it to my husband in Ukraine.

Right after husband received my documents it was in English version,he went to a lawyer to make it translated in Ukrainian version and notarized,some of papers was in English, but he still sent it to "Ukraine Embassy" in Tokyo Japan, they made it translated in Ukrainian version,notarized and husband payed the service. The "Ukrainian Embassy" in Tokyo stamped and authenticated my papers.

The "Ukraine Embassy" serving for Asia is in Japan, so my husband has to send it there. He wrote the returned address should be in our home address in Ukraine, so the result should be send to him in Ukraine.

After filling my application in Japan I have to wait for a minimum of 6 months to 1 year to have the "Permit of Residence"

So, this is clear that it was not a "Permanent Residence" it is just a "permit for application to have a "Permanent Residence" in Ukraine. And this permit should be signed by a house owner, just like a petition if they allowed me to live in Ukraine.

Luckily after 6 months of waiting,my husband got the results, they issued me a "Permission for Permanent Residence" in Ukraine.

I then applied for immigration visa,and they give me M-1 valid for 1 year. I flew back to Ukraine, and after few weeks of my stay we decided to continue the application for "Permanent Residence" we went to the Chief of Justice where my husband was registered as resident, we submitted the papers,including my passport and the Chief should forward it to the (MIA) or Ministry of Internal Affairs, we payed and waited for the result for a month, we returned to the Chief and they returned my passport they granted me a "Permanent Residence card" the card need to be signed by police officer,and registered my passport, they also took copies of my permanent permission and they did it all.

My "Permanent Residence" just valid up to 1 year, it should be renewed before it expires. Before the  Permanent of Residence Certificate expired, I returned to the Chief that done this all before, they renewed my Permanent Residence Certificate, and he grant me new one without expiration. So, my "Permanent Residence Certificate" according to the law is valid forever.

Right now it is changing and it is more easier I guess to process and obtain Permanent Residence Certificate in Ukraine.

Updates on my progress . Returned to Ukraine on tuesday and went straight to ovir from the airport, gave them my passport with the D visa and was told to return on Thursday. Thursday  morning was called into the office and after signing a form was presented with my residents card. Job  done, nott cheap under the. New price structure for Brits but fairly straight forward.

Hi.... First I would like to thank all people here for them information and sharing experience
I will going to marry my girlfriend in Ukraine soon and I will wait 2 years to apply for Permission for permit residence then will going to apply for permit residence
If i got permit residence... Can i buy a car in Ukraine? Can i buy a home?  also can i get my business like a shop in Ukraine?
waiting your reply..email="[email protected]"

once you get married you can apply for a D visa right away and get a one year temporary residence permit.. and then extend it another year..then you can apply for permanent residency...

the new "D" visa is required though..

@pepolana
Also as soon as you get a baby from your Ukrainian wife you do not need to wait for 2 years and can apply immediately.

I never heard having a baby gets you fast track service to a permanent residency..but ask.. first...

they might have questions about how you plan to support yourself here.. there are variations on the D visa.. the 'joining family' type doesn't allow you to work.. getting the permit to start a business or work..is more complicated and expensive..from what I've heard about how much Ukrainians make.. you'd be better off taking her back to your country rather than trying to make a good living here..

owning property has limitations.. until you are a permanent resident.. putting everything in her name.. might be the only way.. if you want to buy a car right away.. etc.

milo55 wrote:

owning property has limitations.. until you are a permanent resident.. putting everything in her name.. might be the only way.. if you want to buy a car right away.. etc.


Foreigners just cannot own agricultural land. That's all.

residency and title to property ..cars and apartment ..can be a problem.. until you get some type of residency.. I had to put the title to our car in wifes name.. reasons unclear.. but it was easier...

I don't think a foreigner can own land outright.. especially agriculture land.. that's true

milo55 wrote:

residency and title to property ..cars and apartment ..can be a problem.. until you get some type of residency.. I had to put the title to our car in wifes name.. reasons unclear.. but it was easier...

I don't think a foreigner can own land outright.. especially agriculture land.. that's true


To be honest I do not have practive in regard to buying a car by an expat but I do not see a problem with this, registration of it in Ukraine and owning it.

But I do have some experience with buying an apartment and there is no an obstacle for a foreigner either.

The main requirement for foreigners bying real estate and cars in Ukraine is that all such deals has to be notarized. Notarization, in its turn, means a foreigner has to have a Ukrainian tax ID. Plus the translated passport of course.

So it is interesting to get to know why you had to put the title in your wife's name. My guess is that you did not have a registration place so you did not know which police department to use for registration... or something like that. But this is a procedural issue. I mean it is not like you cannot own a car in Ukraine because you did not have a visa.

P.S. This is my 100th post on the forum! Champagne!:)

given the crazy way Ukraine operates its easy to get caught up in a paper chase.. I and many people with similar circumstances are  told very different procedures and paperwork..

its just part of the enigma of living in Ukraine.. you just have to get used to it..and enjoy riding from one office to another..to get the little blue stamps..that makes it all right...

watchthatman wrote:

I am halfway through the process, and if there is anyone interested I can detail my experiences about the process up to today. I am English and married to a Urainian woman for the last 7 years.


Yes please. I am married to a Ukrainian for a little over a year. Want to do it next year when the 2 years elapse.

Where did you get married? In Ukraine, England or another country?

Yes I would like to more on the permanant residency process. I am an American and have been married to my Ukrainian wife now for 6 years (married in USA). I plan on retiring to Sevestopol in 2015.

navillus2 wrote:

Yes I would like to more on the permanant residency process. I am an American and have been married to my Ukrainian wife now for 6 years (married in USA). I plan on retiring to Sevestopol in 2015.


Let me know if you know of anything. Married in another country here as well !

navillus2 wrote:

Yes I would like to more on the permanant residency process. I am an American and have been married to my Ukrainian wife now for 6 years (married in USA). I plan on retiring to Sevestopol in 2015.


First step you need to take is to legalize/get the apostille on your marriage certificate. This can be done at a Ukrainian consulate. Legalized marriage certificate will be the proof of you being married to a Ukrainian citizen for more than 2 years. Then you can apply for the permanent residency.

Here is the link on the subject to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine:
http://www.mfa.gov.ua/mfa/ua/publicatio … /59463.htm

It is all in Ukrainian but I am sure that either you wife will help you or Google translate will do that:)

hello i will marry a ukrainian girl in ukraine
how i can get the permanent residence?
and if we divorce after permanent residence can it cancel the permanent residence or it still working?

person wrote:

hello i will marry a ukrainian girl in ukraine
how i can get the permanent residence?
and if we divorce after permanent residence can it cancel the permanent residence or it still working?


The likes of you are the reason governments give people like me a hard time .........

if i got permanent residence by marriage  and if we divorce after permanent residence can it cancel the permanent residence or it still working?

person wrote:

if i got permanent residence by marriage  and if we divorce after permanent residence can it cancel the permanent residence or it still working?


The permanent residency certificate is canceled in the following cases:
1) it was obtained under false or forged information/documents;
2) an immigrant is sentenced to custody in Ukraine for more than 1 year;
3) an immigrant is dangerous to the national interests of Ukraine;
4) the cancellation is necessary for protection of health, rights and interests of Ukrainian citizens;
5) an immigrant violated legislation regulating the legal status of foreigners and stateless persons;
6) other cases stipulated by law.

Friend married a Ukrainian citizen by passport and paper from his country embassy write as he Single now
But in his country was Married and divorced  before on year of the marriage to the citizen of Ukraine
Is this contrary to law in ukraine because it is not proven he was divorced in his country before or no problem becuse he divorced from long time and not has 2 wives in same time?

Thanks

person wrote:

Friend married a Ukrainian citizen by passport and paper from his country embassy write as he Single now
But in his country was Married and divorced  before on year of the marriage to the citizen of Ukraine
Is this contrary to law in ukraine because it is not proven he was divorced in his country before or no problem becuse he divorced from long time and not has 2 wives in same time?

Thanks


Sorry can you rephrase your story and question? I do not quite understand it.

GreyKyiv wrote:
person wrote:

Friend married a Ukrainian citizen by passport and paper from his country embassy write as he Single now
But in his country was Married and divorced  before on year of the marriage to the citizen of Ukraine
Is this contrary to law in ukraine because it is not proven he was divorced in his country before or no problem becuse he divorced from long time and not has 2 wives in same time?

Thanks


Sorry can you rephrase your story and question? I do not quite understand it.


To get married in Ukraine, if you're not Ukrainian, you need a letter of non-impediment from your embassy.

Someone got the letter saying he's single, although he was married and divorced before (should've said he's divorced, not single). Now asking if they can find out? and, if yes, would it be a problem?

Hello,
      After reading your conversation about permanent residence i am afraid people can get puzzled:)).Well let me tell you how i got the permanent residence in Ukraine very easily in 2009.
Well after marriage i had to wait 2 years but in those 2 years i constantly was extending my visa(private visa of 3 months) for 6 months through central OVIR in Kiev without any problem and it costed me at that time round about 400UAH including the insurance etc...
Well after two years i applied for the permanent residence card and i was told to leave Ukraine and then come back and only then you can get the permanent residence card(i don't know the logic behind this as they told  me to exit and then enter to Ukraine)but i never left Ukraine i went to the OVIR and said that i have no money to buy tickets and leave Ukraine and then come back  again.so they took my documents and gave me a paper which said that i am allowed permanent residence in Ukraine until my permanent residence card is ready which at that time was to be ready in 1 year but i got it in 20 days and it is forever so i don't need to extend any visa or other stuff:D which means you can work,study,free medical treatment etc in Ukraine once you have the Permanent residence card.
Please feel free to ask your questions i will answer them;)

Hello
I married an ukrainian spouse and to get ukrainian citizenship how many years i must live in ukraine after marriage and what is the Requirements? and is i must know ukrainian language or not?
thanks

Hello everyone,

  I am also married to Ukrainian citizen and having 2 months baby. I came to Ukraine on D-visa and extended it for another 1 year. Now I want to apply for permanent residency. Can someone tell me how can I apply for it, list of documents required, how much time is required for this whole process and how much I've to pay for it? You can reach me at me email " [email protected]". Will highly appreciate for your support.

hseamrit wrote:

Hello everyone,

  I am also married to Ukrainian citizen and having 2 months baby. I came to Ukraine on D-visa and extended it for another 1 year. Now I want to apply for permanent residency. Can someone tell me how can I apply for it, list of documents required, how much time is required for this whole process and how much I've to pay for it? You can reach me at me email " [email protected]". Will highly appreciate for your support.


I suggest you to read this thread above and you will find answers to your questions.

Hello Watchman, 7 years you are practically Ukrainian!! I have been in Ukraine on and off for the last 3 years, Im continuously checking how many days I've been in the country so as not to fall foul of the 90 day rule, I guess it's better then Ukrainians trying to get into the UK, I mustn't grumble.

Tedd Bundy wrote:

Hello,
      After reading your conversation about permanent residence i am afraid people can get puzzled:)).Well let me tell you how i got the permanent residence in Ukraine very easily in 2009.
Well after marriage i had to wait 2 years but in those 2 years i constantly was extending my visa(private visa of 3 months) for 6 months through central OVIR in Kiev without any problem and it costed me at that time round about 400UAH including the insurance etc...
Well after two years i applied for the permanent residence card and i was told to leave Ukraine and then come back and only then you can get the permanent residence card(i don't know the logic behind this as they told  me to exit and then enter to Ukraine)but i never left Ukraine i went to the OVIR and said that i have no money to buy tickets and leave Ukraine and then come back  again.so they took my documents and gave me a paper which said that i am allowed permanent residence in Ukraine until my permanent residence card is ready which at that time was to be ready in 1 year but i got it in 20 days and it is forever so i don't need to extend any visa or other stuff:D which means you can work,study,free medical treatment etc in Ukraine once you have the Permanent residence card.
Please feel free to ask your questions i will answer them;)


Very strange that they asked you to go out and turn in Ukraine to get your permanent residence card.
I did like you (extending visa in OVIR for 2 years, etc.) and then I did all the normal process to obtain the ukrainian permanent residence.
At last I have got a nice stamp in my passport and the permanent residence card (which they told me to not plasticize, and change photo when I will be 75 y.o.)
Nothing more.

question now is ...... You got the PR stamp ...... and then u had to get a new passport (expired, damaged ......etc.)

Would you have to go through that royal pain in the a** again?

I had this problem because the stamp was put on a passport still valid 1 year.
So, I get a new passport, I went in OVIR and they put the stamp on the new passport.
No big problem, just needed some 5 weeks more to get it.

LOL ...... 5 weeks? and I thought Egypt was the capital of bureaucracy......

karayuschij wrote:
Tedd Bundy wrote:

Hello,
     Well there is no problem in plasticizing the permanent residence card because the material of which it is made is not that good and i am afraid after 75years it would be hard to recognize if it is a residence card:))so it would be better if u plasticize it.secondly is your residence card also only in Ukrainian language?


Very strange that they asked you to go out and turn in Ukraine to get your permanent residence card.
I did like you (extending visa in OVIR for 2 years, etc.) and then I did all the normal process to obtain the ukrainian permanent residence.
At last I have got a nice stamp in my passport and the permanent residence card (which they told me to not plasticize, and change photo when I will be 75 y.o.)
Nothing more.