Romanian Wife

Hi all i have just joined this site as i need some advice on something,
I have just married a Romanian woman i have been with for 2 years, she says she thinks that we need to register our wedding in Romania, but i dont think we do,
I am British and was born here in the UK she is from Bacau in Romania and plans to stay in the UK with me and our baby when he is born in November.
Do we need to get the marriage certificate translated and registered over there also when our baby is born (in UK) do we need to register him in Romania too??
Does she need to change her ID card??
We have asked the Romanian Embassy and they sent a massive email in Romanian and she doesn't understand it and obviously i can't read it..

its really confusing but I personally don't think we have to do any of this?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section
Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst waiting for others to reply I suggest a Google search. I found that the marriage of a Romanian to a foreigner overseas, and have had that marriage registered overseas, have a legal obligation to register the marriage within 6 months.

If your wife has changed her name then this will need to be registered with the Romanian authorities.

Perhaps have someone translate the document for you so you can try and figure it out.

Check out this website www.rolegal.com/article/registration-of … in-romania

Honestly, we found it easiest to get married in Romania AND the US.  Everybody gets their own paperwork in their own language, everyone is happy.  (And Romanian weddings are fun ;) )

Also, your child will also be a Romanian citizen, even if born in the UK, but it would require registering the birth with RO (sooner or later).  If you want that, of course.

Dan

> she says she thinks that we need to register our wedding in Romania, but i dont think we do

@clizzle19, technically you are under no obligation to do anything in this matter, however if you find benefit in your future child to have romanian citizenship, then you should do so.

> Does she need to change her ID card??
Not unless she has changed her name and she needs the ID card i.e. she has no valid passport and needs to travel back home. Same applies for the passport btw.

My son was born in Canada 16 years ago and I did go through the process to obtain a romanian birth certificate about 1 year after he was born, and a few months ago we also obtained a romanian passport. At the moment, there is no use for it, however if he would like to one day pick up and move to Europe for whatever reason, or retire to Spain, then it would come in handy. There's not  much you loose, other than a bit of time and a few pounds, it's an option you give to your child, it may come in handy in the future, you never know. That, goes in parallel with the child's UK citizenship, as far as I know UK has no issue with double citizenship.

Cheers,
Cristian