I am Romanian and want to marry my Indian boyfriend in Romania

Hello,

I wish to marry my Indian boyfriend in Romania
I am working and living in UK for the last 5 years and he is currently in India
We've been together for 3 years now and I've been visiting him in India regularly.
Now we want to get married in Romania so ..

1. What is the procedure , how can he get a visa (and what kind of visa should he get) ?
2. What documents does he need ?
3. What should I do on my end to help ease the process?
4. If we get married, will he be able to travel freely with me in Europe or will he need visa?

Thank you so much and I hope I can get some clear information.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've asked that your post is moved to our Romanian forum, you will probably get a better response there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you, I didn't realize I wasn't on Romanian forum! Do I have to do anything now ?

Nope, they've moved your post.

@ mimimax > We have moved your post to the Romania forum.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hello,

Greetings.
I hope this will help both of you clarify some of the aspects of your respective current situations.

1. What is the procedure, how can he get a visa (and what kind of visa should he get)?
As you have specified that the two of you would like to get married in Romania, your boyfriend is an Indian Citizen and would need to apply for a short stay visa in order for him to make the trip to Romania.

For this, he would require a Notarized Invitation Letter mentioning your capacity to marry him which he will need to submit along with other documents as requested by the Romanian Embassy in New Delhi. Please ask him to check which category of short stay visit visa would be required by him by contacting them; should be most likely the C/VV he would need to check as the procedure to get married is generally 90 or more days.

2. What documents does he need?
3. What should I do on my end to help ease the process?
For the purpose of making the trip, he will need:
Please check the following link; https://newdelhi.mae.ro/en/node/873

For the purpose of getting married once in Romania:
Once he is in Romania, both of you would require to submit certain documents in the City Hall where the two of you would plan to register the marriage. Since he is an Indian Citizen, he would require to submit:
- Valid Identification Documents.
- Certificate of Bachelorhood/Single Status.
- Certificate of Birth.
- Certificate of No Impediment.
It would be better if he would attest all these above documents with the necessary authorities and carry it along with him. These documents would be valid for only 90 days since being issued so plan it accordingly or else you would be required to do so all over again if it overlaps your day of submission of documents at the City Hall.

Apart from these the both of you would also require to submit a Medical Certificate stating that the both of you are Fit for Marriage; which is better if you do it in Romania at your local medical center as it should be written in Romanian. If he has any documents which are strictly in his local language and does not have any form on English Representation he would have to check those as in that case he will also require them to be legally translated in Romanian.

As a Romanian, you would also be required to submit some documents from your end which I believe are the same as applicable to him. Please check with the City Hall they would be able to help you on this.

Once you have been given a date for your marriage at the City Hall, you would require to be there on the day with your witnesses and complete all the formalities which will be put forward to the both of you.

4. If we get married, will he be able to travel freely with me in Europe or will he need a visa?
Being married to a Romanian or any EU citizen does not necessarily mean that he would be able to travel freely within Europe. He is an Indian Citizen first; not a Romanian.

Where ever you guys plan to travel, it is always better to check with the embassy of the respective countries before making the trip if he requires a valid visa or not. For being able to do so first he will need to apply for a Permis de Sedere in order for him to apply for a visa for any other country from Romania for legitimate travel. If he is not a resident of Romania he cannot apply for a visa to any other country from Romania, he will need to do so only from India.

Hope this helps.