Retiring in Romania

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Romania? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Romania (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Romania's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Romania?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Retirement has been good . healthcare with private clinics is less then half what it would be in US.  The Romanians are welcoming.  The winters are colder then I'm use to and long.  I am married to a Romanian.  Without her l could never get though dealing with anything with the government.

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Romania? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Romania (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Romania's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Romania?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I'm not retired per se, but I am disabled and receive my disability and living in Romania. The biggest advantage is cost of living of course, followed by convenience of locations for holidays or travel. Foods are fresh, mostly healthy too.

My wife is a Romanian, I am an American. I lived here for two years before she moved to the US for about two and a half years. My disability income goes much farther here than it ever would back in the US, and we are close to her family as well.

I am on a Permis de Sedere, which is a family immigration visa that is valid for 5 years. I believe there is always one for 10 years, but I haven't gotten that one yet. I renew my residency card next year.

From my experience, more money equals better health care. I know a lot of people in my wife's family are scared to make emergency room visits because they don't have money on hand to get treated quickly. I had excellent international insurance and when I went to the emergency room in 2014, they wanted cash first and told me to request reimbursement from my insurance company.

For retirees, or other disabled/veterans living or wanting to live in Romania. You can go a longggg way if you manage a good budget, and save. I find that buying land or apartments is very experience, most people rent, and I do not enjoy having to report to a landlord who can come in for inspections any time they want. Do your research on some of the more quiet and affordable places to live, but also safe if you choose to live in Bucharest or any of the larger cities. Brasov was beautiful and quiet compared to inner city Bucharest. Many people can speak a touch of English, but you really should go out of your way to learn as much of the Romanian language as you can, it shows respect. Romanians have VERY different traditions and cultural things that most people aren't used to. Familiarize yourself with how to greet the elderly, what to expect when people do little odd things that look like witchcraft (They're just prayers and such, scared me at first), and whatever you do, don't ever pay an authority figure on the spot to get out of trouble, bribes are a big thing here and you have the right to dispute an accused violation.

I'm very much interested in this topic as I'd like to retire in this country and would like to know the details of doing so especially regarding what sort of residency permit. I've already lived here over a year under a kind of a work visa as I was looking to start a business but never got off the ground. Now that I've officially retired, I'd like to know how I can continue to live here as the previous poster noted your money goes much further here. Where and what do I apply for? All the details would be great. Thank you very much.

Taoroo wrote:

I'm very much interested in this topic as I'd like to retire in this country and would like to know the details of doing so especially regarding what sort of residency permit. I've already lived here over a year under a kind of a work visa as I was looking to start a business but never got off the ground. Now that I've officially retired, I'd like to know how I can continue to live here as the previous poster noted your money goes much further here. Where and what do I apply for? All the details would be great. Thank you very much.

Likely your only viable option is to register a business and obtain a visa and residency permit by association of the business.  Romania does not have a "retirement" visa as some other EU countries do.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

If you go through an experienced attorney the process is almost painless, our attorney filed the SRL and our immigration papers for pennies compared to the cost of an attorney in the US. Our permit is only good for one year before it has to be renewed.

Can you refer me to your attorney?

No problem I'll PM her info tomorrow, she is very knowledgeable and professional.

I had good experience with medical care in Romania I had prescriptions from the US that needed to be filled, I was able to see a physician with no insurance for 150 lei and obtain my medication. I would NOT recommend bringing a vehicle from outside the EU to Romania, the cost and red tape are NOT worth the headache.
The Romanian people (in Brasov anyway) are beyond helpful we have met Romanian natives that have assisted us with the postal system, bill paying, and many other day to day situations.
We have no regrets about retiring in Romania the experience has been overwhelmingly positive thus far.

hi.we have a retired income  of about 1700 euro taxes of  think we can have a good life in romania

would also like to know details of your attorney.  buy u a beer when i get there

If i retire to romania next year when i retire, will a S1 form be adequate for my long stay visa, i have accomadation address , this is for medical insurance i am talking about, i dont want to be paying private

If not how to you apply for state health care and whats the cost

I'm American so I don't know about S-1. If you need national insurance, it costs about 200€ per year.

Thsnks johnny and that will be sufficient  to get my visa

@kevin woodford

I mis-remembered. I just came from paying mine. 1980 lei - 400€ - sorry.

Again thanks mate, and is this sufficient  insurance to get a residence visa

Again thanks mate, and is this sufficient  insurance to get a residence visa

-@kevin woodford

Yes it is, I used it for 10+ yrs

You have been more than helpful many thanks

@kevin woodford

After you're settled verify exactly what the state insurance covers and be sure it meets your needs. ✌️