Occupation Permit - $35K Capital Investment

Hello everyone,

I have been researching how to immigrate to Mauritius and I am very much looking forward to a successful application process.

I have been trying to understand the $35K (USD) capital investment requirement for the Occupation Permit application.

I have been to all the websites, called the government offices and sent emails (which went unanswered) on this subject and no one has yet to provide me the answers to some really simple questions.

These questions are:
--------------------
1. How is the $35K (USD) capital investment requirement satisfied? Is this a requirement for a cash deposit into a Mauritius bank account?

2. Or, is this $35K investment the amount of money that must be spent within Mauritius on business capital over a period of time for things like computer HW/SW, office equipment, leases, etc.?

3. And, if I have an existing business that is relocating to Mauritius and I have already invested in computer systems, does the amount of my recent capital investments in my business count toward the required $35K?
--------------------

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help clarify the above questions as they relate to an Occupation Permit application for a self-employed technology consultant business.

Thanks,

Dale

Welcome on board ICTSector ;)

I guess these two threads can help you a little bit meanwhile; I have seen it deals with the same issue you posted above.

Occupation Permits - Things have now changed, watch out!
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69584

Occupation Permit
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69014

Regards

Hi,

1. you must have that sum on a local bank account.

2. not necessarily. But you must bring this money to get your OP. The thing is that I don't know is how you could open a local bank account before obtaining your occupation permit.

3. no

Note that if you want to employ someone, you'll have to change your self employed OP for an investor OP, and you must bring $100,000 to do that

Hello Yud and Julien,

Thank you both for your replies to my message...much appreciated!

Julien,

Once this sum is deposited on a local bank account, must it just "sit" there for some period of time?...or, can it be used for business/living expenses? In other words, are there restrictions or rules relating to the use of these funds after they are deposited?

Also, I can see the dilemma with opening a bank account prior to having an OP...not quite sure what to make of that either.

I am hoping that someone who has recently gone through this process can share their experiences.

Thanks again,

Dale

Hi,

It is possible to open an account without an OP outside Mauritius. I opened my bank account with MCB before I could move to Mauritius from Dubai. Once I opened my account I was able to transfer my final settlement directly to my bank account from Dubai to Mauritius.

I hope this helps.

Terence

Julien wrote:

Hi,

1. you must have that sum on a local bank account.

2. not necessarily. But you must bring this money to get your OP. The thing is that I don't know is how you could open a local bank account before obtaining your occupation permit.

3. no

Note that if you want to employ someone, you'll have to change your self employed OP for an investor OP, and you must bring $100,000 to do that

The USD35K can also be accounted for in kind: equipment, machinery, office, etc.  You can obviously open a bank account in Mauritius before getting the OP. All of my clients have done it.  Terence confirms it.

Hello Nadeem and Terence,

Thank you both for your comments...much appreciated!

I think I'm making progress as far as sorting out a strategy based in part upon clarifications you both have provided.

But, certainly have a bit more research to do.

Will be back with more questions soon.

Thanks again!...with so many friendly, knowledgeable and sharing people, this Expat-Blog is a really great resource! ;-)

Cheers,

Dale