Seriously considering a move to Mauritius and need advice

My family and I are interested in moving to Mauritius.  We would like to live there with our four children.

I have read through the www.gov.mu but the options do not quite fit our family.  I've also read through this forum but can't find exactly the info I require. I will give a brief resume of our situation and request advice on whether our application for residency would be acceptable and the best approach to take.

I am a Contracts Manager in the oil industry (ex Quantity Surveyor).  I can work anywhere in the world.  I have recently been proposed a job in Algeria where I would work 3 or 4 weeks and return home for the following 3 or 4 weeks.  I would perform this work through my own limited company.  I would like to know if it would be permissible to do this based in Mauritius.  I would be earning  a good daily rate.  We would be entirely self financing. 

I could possibly perform this work through a company set up in Mauritius which invoices the agency for the work.  I could then pay Mauritian tax on the salary I draw from the company.

Which residency option should I go for.  I wouldn't be working there but could operate the business from Mauritius which sends me to my work location. 

My wife is a qualified English primary school teacher.

Both my wifes parents are Mauritian but live in England.  I don't know if this helps.

We are English but we currently live in France – We all speak English and French.  The children would go to French school in Mauritius.

We are all British citizens with British passports.

I would like to buy a property in Mauritius for us to live in.  I note that this may be difficult.  Under section 3(c) of the Non-Citizens Property Restriction Act – it says that the “No certificate is required in the case of an offshore company”  - Does this mean that I could set up an offshore company to buy a property?  Ideally I would like to buy some land in Tamarin, Rivière noire and build.

There is also the possibility that I may find work in Mauritius.  I have researched this a bit and it doesn't look too hopeful.

I would be grateful for any advice or information that anyone can provide.

Henry

Hello and welcome on the forum Henry :)

I hope other members will be able to give you some helpful advices soon!

Regards
Armand

'Both my wifes parents are Mauritian but live in England.  I don't know if this helps.'

Having Mauritian parents, do either of your wives (lol sorry...) have dual nationality? I imagine that would help a lot.

I think in laymans terms you would have to be set up as a registered business but that business has to generate a certain amount of cash (tax to pay the govt) in order to be granted an operating license. I'm not sure what that value is though.

Both my wife's parents, or both the parents of my wife if you prefer, have British passports because it was British at the time so it probably won't help.

Does anybody know how much cash the business would have to generate to get an operating license?

Or put more simply,

Can I set up a company, pay myself 45,000 MRU from the company and get an Occupation Permit and residence permit to live in Mauritius.

I have sent mail to the Board of Investment Work and Live department but I have received no response.

Henry.

If I'm right...

The business needs an annual turnover of 3m rupees.
OR
Self employed needs to earn 600k rupees per year. Might be your best bet.

There are others here far better qualified than me though so hopefully one of those will help. Have you been to Mauritius yourself?

I've emailed and called various government agencies over the last few weeks for varying reasons and have had no response on any of them. This is part of Mauritian life that I think I am going to have to get used to :)

Also, not sure if it's relevant in any way but my situation is that I will be working for a S.African company based in Grand Bay but paid in U.S dollars.

Hi Henry
Welcome in Mauritius, you will need a lot of patience to have some infos from the MRA - Mauritius Authorities.

Your business will need an annual turnover of Rs 2 M, now it will depend of what business.

If you need more information, please feel free to send me an email, it will be a pleasure for me to help you.  I liaise with the authorities all the day. [Moderated]

Regards
Marjorie

Strawb - Yes I have been to Mauritius on holiday but never lived there.

Cendrillon33 - I will send you an email.

Henry

Henry, if your wife's parents are Mauritians then she may be eligible for Mauritian citizenship. You need to check on which year she was born and from there we can determine the exact procedure.  That could solve the problem of property... if she is Mauritian then buying is possible.

For the business I would tend to think that the investor permit (Occupation PErmit) will be suitable.  Or why not think of the self-employed scheme?  If you're not employing any other persons, then this might be an option to consider

Hi Nadeem,

I came across this old post and it seems that you know about citizenship. I have dual nationality, Mauritian and American. My daughters who are 26 and 21, would both like to obtain Mauritian citizenship. Is it still possible?

Thanks,

Devidou

Devidou

If you have Mauritian Citizenship your daughters are eligible. For the paperwork, visit the Prime Minister's Office Website.

Citizenship

Hope this helps!

Hi Alisa_Ram

Thank you so much! I'm going to visit that website right now!

Take care

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I get an application form for the national identity card?

Thanx in advance

There are no application forms for ID card. You need to go to their office and get your card issued on the spot.

Henry,

Probably a bit late, but you may be eligible for residency as the spouse of a Mauritian if your Wife gets her Mauritian Nationality.

Kind regards,

David.