Would love to get married in Romania!

Good Day Everyone

I'm reaching out to anyone who can help, especially South Africans, especially those from Cape Town.  I would really love to get married in Romania to my Romanian bf, but the amount of paperwork needed is very scary.  I don't even know where to begin.  I've read through all the old forums about the topic here and did a lot of research on the documents required.  According to Home Affairs website, the request for the certificate for no impediment can take up to 6 months to get as it needs to be sent to Head Office in Pretoria.  Is this for real? 

My biggest issue is that we both work on board a ship (it's seems to be the easiest way to be together right now).  We are on board until July and upon my return I was hoping to get all my paperwork ready so that I can return to Romania with a short stay visa in Aug.  We were then hoping to get married in September.

Could anyone give me advice on how they got things done? What papers you got from where in South Africa, Cape Town, where did you have everything translated? How long it took you to have everything ready?

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Get married on the ship??

JohnnyStLouis wrote:

Get married on the ship??

The captain is legally allowed to marry you ;)

I know guys that it's an option - believe me, it has crossed my mind as being easier too.  But with all due respect, we want our special day to be in a special place (in Romania), not on board the ship where we are physically and mentally killing ourselves.  It's become a place that we don't like so much anymore.  :sosad:

On a serious note this LINK might be of some help to you.

It is traditional in Romania to have two weddings. One is the civil ceremony at the city hall (which the church doesn't recognize) and the church wedding (which the state doesn't recognize) so you need two weddings anyway. :P   
So the ship's wedding will satisfy your visa application and the elegant church wedding will satisfy your heart and the family!

I read up on this topic of getting married on a ship.  Unfortunately it's only allowed if both spouses are Romanian citizens. There goes that idea... :lol:

Very helpful link you sent me - many thanks for that!  :top:

too bad...:(