Non-married couples living in Morocco

Hi everyone,

I'm Canadian and my girlfriend is American. We recently have been offered positions in Morocco and we are both very excited as it seems like a great country. The only issue is that we are not married and do not plan to be in the near future.

From what I have read, non-married couples cannot live together under the same roof. Is that true and does it apply to foreigners or only for Moroccans? What are the consequences if we did decide to live in the same apartment but not being married?

I know that there's a difference between theory and practice and therefore I'd like to know from people who are (or have been) in the same predicament.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

This is an interesting question as I know that this is against the law for Moroccan people It will be good to know if same applies to non Moroccans
I wish you good luck and hope you find an answer to this  :cheers:

I don't  think you have any problems cos you not Moroccan citizen so simple

fpm10 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm Canadian and my girlfriend is American. We recently have been offered positions in Morocco and we are both very excited as it seems like a great country. The only issue is that we are not married and do not plan to be in the near future.

From what I have read, non-married couples cannot live together under the same roof. Is that true and does it apply to foreigners or only for Moroccans? What are the consequences if we did decide to live in the same apartment but not being married?

I know that there's a difference between theory and practice and therefore I'd like to know from people who are (or have been) in the same predicament.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello

You won't have any problems. The laws are for Muslims being married and living together. Morocco is not strict on people and how they live their life's, this law is just to stop rich men taking advantage of poor women.

If you are Muslim then the law is applied strictly,for example if you book into a hotel you have to show your marriage certificate. They will photo copy it and the authorities would fine them if they didn't.

Congratulations on your employment in Morocco. It's an amazing country and I'm sure you will both love it. Ask away if you have any more questions

malek71 wrote:

I don't  think you have any problems cos you not Moroccan citizen so simple

Citizenship doesn't matter, it's if you are Muslim.