Raising kids in Tunisia

Hello everyone,

How is raising kids in Tunisia different from raising kids in your home country?

What are the activities that your kids seem to enjoy the most in Tunisia?

Do you feel that the country is "family-friendly"?

Do you recommend Tunisia as a good place to raise kids? Why or why not?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I think its a very child friendly country. Raising a child there would be different to back home as children there are a lot more grown up in some ways but i suppose that also depends on your finances and where you live.
If i find a good school and a nice area id happily raise my kids there.

Yes I only spent a year there with toddlers but I would agree people are very friendly towards children. The school is going to make a difference too.

I am familiar with mostly the Tunis area and surrounding. But menzah 6 has a lot of activities for kids, like a jumper and trampoline, i believe there is a Rec center there too that has all kinds of classes from dance, gymnastics, taeknowdo, and there is swimming at the end of it...and it's all very affordable. Also the Najli park just near cite Riadha al andulous is very nice and there's a little coffee shop...there's even a short nature trail and picnic spots...ohhh and then we have the whole of Sidi bou said that has nice walks, views, and bamboloni, gelato, all reasonably priced as I recall. There's also a great park with a big fountain near sidi bou said, you find it filled with families and expats even in the winter months. One more tip on activities, you have to try leblebi in a reputable restaurant, there was a good one in Lac next to the Dada Amusement park before, not sure if it is still there?!

Museums the Dar al Hout in Carthage is nice and has a lot of cool treasures...there is also the baths and lots of scattered ruins...you may even catch a marrionette show in Tunis downtown.

Doctors visits I would look for recommendations, there are qualified, well experienced doctors. The appointments are pretty affordable for normal visits.

Schools, that's one I cannot speak on this because my toddler only went to a “rouda” preschool/daycare, which I found extremely affordable compared to the costs in the states and I felt that took really great care of my child!

At the end of the day your happiness or lack of will impact your children the most. Children really are resilient