Do and don't in Saudi Arabia

Deyaa1989 wrote:
Expat.com wrote:

Are you living going to Saudi Arabia? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Saudi Arabia?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Saudi Arabia?

Thanks!

I have read some great comments here, and I would like to add some do's, (and I will add do not's sometime later)

Do's (before you get to the Kingdom)

1- Get everything you could claimed by the travel/employment agency officially documented and seek the inquiry of other refrences of claims validation.

2- Use your judgement and do your own research about what is OK and what is not to do. Compare that to the experience of others, but always rely on official sources to stand on higher/tougher grounds. Always look up questions you wonder, as answers might serve you the day when you need them.

3- Remember, what applies to others might not apply to you, and vice versa, so find what applies to you.

3- Understand that Saudi Arabia has its positives and negatives, just like any other country in the world. So balance things out  before you arrive here.

4- Plan ahead of time. I would do my research a year+  in time before I get to the country of interest for residency. Sometimes unplanned difficulties, such as financial obligations and/or family and governmental problems, may arise or take time to settle. In addition, this way you would be more resourceful and help yourself/others encountering these difficulties.

5- Saudi Arabian Embassy/ Government Offices are Almost always a more reliable source of information than the employment/travelling agency.

6- If you were declined employment/VISA, I would advise you know that

a- You could re-apply and try again and
b- You must know that this is NOT the end of the world, and that your experience and qualifications are definitely needed else where.

7- Just like you could use your judgement, official and reliable resources for information, you could use the same with planning the optimal use of agency/employer/accommodation/transportation you could afford.

8- I want to emphasize the accommodation and VISA statuses. Many users in this forum have encountered difficulty proceeding with the proper procedure/time to get the job done, and most encountered hardships dealing with these difficulties.

Do's (When you get to the Kingdom)

1- Obey The Law, and I repeat, Obey The Law. I cannot stretch nor emphasize this far enough. Please Stay Safe! and make noone have anything over you (black-mailing, etc.) or loopholes against you by obeying the law. What you can get away with once or twice might not last you one more time. Remember that the country may have some extremely harsh punishment for breaking the law.

2- Find good people, whether of the same nationality or not, who are reliable and could assist you and guide you just like you could assist them and support them. Have the good intention in people, but never put your absolute trust in anyone.

3- Compounds might be a better option for those whose lifestyle at home country is wildly different than that in the Kingdom. However, you may decide to live the life outside the comounds just like millions of residents do when you get to familiarize yourself with the coutnry a little better. Know that finding housing outside the licensed compounds is very easy.

4- Have a reliable mean(s) of accommodation and transportation to work/kid(s)' school/ spouse's place of work.

5- Know that some employers DO practice loopholes and twists over the law to prevent you, or grant you, some of your privilages. Always look up for that and consult with those you trust about it. What might be given you now might be removed in double later/ or more! So the advice concerning law abiding is not a bad idea.

6- Know that Transportation is very cheap, relative to many countries in the world. However, suitable accommodation might be expensive. So find what suites you best.

7- Bring your electronic devices with you, i.e., Your laptop/smartphone/DVD Player/ Walkman/ Console games/Musical Instruments and anything that can keep you occupied when bored. Yes it could be incredibily boring in here at times. Remember to (delete/save on an external drive) things that are illegal to Saudi, like adult materials, sensitive information, and even some religious materials, and avoid having that into the country. Most electronic devices/subscriptions are available here, but bringing ones you already have might save you some time and money.

8- Be Honest when asked questions by official sources or refrain yourself from answering, but pelase do not lie, as sometimes they (already know/can provide proves and resources) of correct information, which may end you up in a giant trouble.

________

Some do not's will be provided later on.

Please feel free to copy/distribute materials in this post written by me at your own responsibility.

Deyaa1989,

Alright, I have listed some Do's for Saudi Arabia, and here are some Do not's that I highly recommend.

1- Do not believe everything you hear. Sometimes people give out intended falsified information for personal benifits, and sometimes unintentionally they provide you with it.

2- Do not depend on one mean of transportation, as there could be some changes in plans, which could cause some problems commuting to/from work, i.e., use carpool and a rented taxi driver, and even the company's bus, in addition to solo driving, to get to places of interest.

3- Do not start arguments or respond to ones, or try your best not to, especially in public, as there is a chance that some locals might false witness against you when the police arrives, "foreigners should be polite and respect our country," attitude is still there. In case you are in a problem, try not to get attached or trapped in disputes, try to request the contact of location supervisors or store security personnel, or even local authority to resolve issues. You could also not forget to attach the Embassy contact information and emergency information in your wallet/bag.

4- Do not assume on people from appearance. Some very tolerant and outgoing men have beard and some very conservative/extr(i)mists do not have beard and even wear Eastern/Western clothes. So do not to assume it is OK to do certain things according to their guise/appearance only.

5- Do not give personal information to people you do not trust. People asking lots of personal questions may not understand, and sometimes nor even respect, your privacy.

6- Do not worry about asking locals inquireies and questions, preferably to people of the same gender. Lots of locals and foreigners tend to be very helpful, and informative, about matters of interest, as well as pleasant and hospitable.

7- Do not forget to bring money in cash with you on all times, in case your ATM or CreditCards did not go through transactions. I would bring 300-1500 SAR with me all the time and distribute them in two loactions (car/wallet/even under shirts or under belts), depending on your directions and purchases.

8- Some locals tend to ask personal and strange questions about Western lifestyle and its availability at your city of residence. Do not forget putting into mind that some of which are within the local authorities, corrupted citizens or even unpleasant organizations. This is not always the case, nor it is a solid rule, but always it is a good idea to check the background of persons entering your circle. This rule applies everywhere. Remember, however, that if the officials in the Ministry of Interior want to find out something about you, it will not take them more than 96 hours gathering all needed data about you, including your contact, historical, and some personal information about you from employers, embassies, other Agencies, Service Providers, local connections and even from countries of origin, at times.

9- Cities are borded and secured with officers/agents of the Ministry of Interior (Police, Road Safety, Social Security, and Drug Trafficking Agency). So do not travel from/into cities without complete or valid vechicle and personal documentations.

10- Highways are covered with Cameras to monitor traffic violations, so do not forget that.

11- Do not forget reading store policies for replacements/refunds of purchases. Some stores do not offer any form of exchange/return.

12- Do not forget that once a person gets used to the lifestyle in this country, one may find that living in houses/apartments to be a more affordable experience, and soemtimes even more pleasant ones.

13- Do not put all your eggs into one basket. Do not put all your money in the bank, with a friend, at home, or in institutions and investments. Distribute your wealth.

14- Do not forget that Saudi Arabia is a country that is going through lots of economic and social changes, so keep that in your mind.

15- Do not forget that these 12 mentioned advices are not written on stones nor are in the constitution(s), so they could be some inaccuracy, and sometimes they are even limited to some circumstances. Exceptions do exist in some social/financial entities.

Would like some advice as to Proper customs. I know enough to be ok, but would like to shine and show respect.
Thank you

Some of you in earlier posts mentioned a 'no dating' rule.  I'm in consideration for a position in Riyadh, am from the U.S., and am single. 

Do you mean 'no dating' of Saudis ?  Of course, I understand this would be forbidden.

What about dating / relationships with other expats, other single people ??  Is this allowed ?

You are accountable for all the laws here except when in Embassies or Western compounds.

Good luck!

willclark wrote:

Some of you in earlier posts mentioned a 'no dating' rule.  I'm in consideration for a position in Riyadh, am from the U.S., and am single. 

Do you mean 'no dating' of Saudis ?  Of course, I understand this would be forbidden.

What about dating / relationships with other expats, other single people ??  Is this allowed ?

Mix gender activities which involve specifically bachelors and single women are forbidden regardless of their races. That's why they do have divisions to most all of the establishments here which they define as "family" and "single/bachelors". You'll see that in most corner of the streets.

That's why dating is not allowed unless you are dating your wife! :D

But there are singles who find a way on how to do it discreetly.

And for that you can check the thread and be sure not to get caught! :)

What about within the compounds ?  Is that more like 'Western' life, if you know ?

I'm new to all of this, so any insight is a help - and thank you for your reply.

inside the compound? mmmm... let me see...mmm.. the cat who roams a lot has a lot to tell. :lol:

willclark wrote:

What about within the compounds ?  Is that more like 'Western' life, if you know ?

I'm new to all of this, so any insight is a help - and thank you for your reply.

I have been living in Saudi Arabia for 18 years and in the U.S. for 6 years. Take this for me.

Usually, in "Western" compounds, or ones that are purchased by famous characters and representatvies in the kingdom, or rented by those outside, Saudi government tends to leave some extra space and "freedom" for residents to practice their lifestyle as they do home. This is due to diplomatic, economic, and political goals.

However, please bare in mind, and be guaranteed, that these lands fall under Saudi Arabian jurisdictions and laws and are of Saudi Arabian soils. Albeit the tendency is to neglect and ignore what happens inside, during emergencies (Safety concerns or serious crises [riots]), the Saudi government does not, and had not, hesitate(d) to intrude and control.

Now here is something you might be interested to know:

Yes, dating is performed there, and so are deeper actions. People drink and sometimes even use drugs.

Welcome to Saudi Arabia,

seeker of truth wrote:

inside the compound? mmmm... let me see...mmm.. the cat who roams a lot has a lot to tell. :lol:

:dumbom:

Deyaa1989 wrote:
willclark wrote:

I have been living in Saudi Arabia for 18 years and in the U.S. for 6 years. Take this for me.

Usually, in "Western" compounds, or ones that are purchased by famous characters and representatvies in the kingdom, or rented by those outside, Saudi government tends to leave some extra space and "freedom" for residents to practice their lifestyle as they do home. This is due to diplomatic, economic, and political goals.

However, please bare in mind, and be guaranteed, that these lands fall under Saudi Arabian jurisdictions and laws and are of Saudi Arabian soils. Albeit the tendency is to neglect and ignore what happens inside, during emergencies (Safety concerns or serious crises [riots]), the Saudi government does not, and had not, hesitate(d) to intrude and control.

Now here is something you might be interested to know:

Yes, dating is performed there, and so are deeper actions. People drink and sometimes even use drugs.

Welcome to Saudi Arabia,

Deyaa is absolutely correct.  The authorities turn a blind eye to western compounds if the goings-on are fairly discrete; if not,  I've heard tell of police waiting outside compounds and arresting drunken party-goers as they leave.

The whole thing in KSA is flying under the radar, and this pertains to Saudis as well as expats.

Thank you both.  Those are the answers I'm looking for.  I'm not a big party guy any longer, however companionship / relations of some sort certainly can make the time go by on long days. :)

Not sure if I'll even get the position, but just trying to get a feel for things ahead of time....

welcome to Saudi Arabia
hope u have a pleasant stay here
It's very hot in summer and cold in winter and I really enjoy it :)

Now personnaly I would miss Texas way before New York :). Personnaly looking forward to possibility of work in Saudi.

THAMKS FOR THE TIPS

Hi  timothy80,

Can you please avoid posting in caps lock, this might make your text more easy to read. :)

Thank you,

David.

did you learn Islam during you visited SAUDI ARABIA?

andrew-preacher wrote:

did you learn Islam during you visited SAUDI ARABIA?

I am Christian and will remain Christian but I found it interesting to learn about Islam and the Qu'ran on an intellectual level.

Hey Guys ,

This Blog for entertainment our time and participate the information not to discuss about religion issues ...

we respect all religion...

hogo12 wrote:

Hey Guys ,

This Blog for entertainment our time and participate the information not to discuss about religion issues ...

we respect all religion...

Hey Hogo, don't tell *me* what the blog is for!  He asked a simple question and I replied.  No big discussion lol and nobody said anything disrespectful about any religion.  CHILL!

So, Sorry for interruption...

Happy Eid to Everyone who celebrate

Nice Post and awesome comments.

Istanbul1903 wrote:

Happy Eid to Everyone who celebrate

And to you, as well :)

Happy eid to everyone wish you the best always!

dont bring any external hard drives with you 

they keep it also ask you to  wait until they wont check it and it can take hrs  i waited 8 hrs  and it was terrible

(trolling)

I brought 3 2TB each hard drives and no one said anything or asked to look at them.

Xenolol wrote:

I brought 3 2TB each hard drives and no one said anything or asked to look at them.

Same with me .. well, not 3 2TB lol  but 2 1TB.

i guess you where lucky or was with family they don't investigate ladies that much 

it was first time when i came to Saudi 5 years back it was not even 1 TB back then

binngo23 wrote:

i guess you where lucky or was with family they don't investigate ladies that much

I think it probably has more to do with country of origin.

Alliecat wrote:
binngo23 wrote:

I think it probably has more to do with country of origin.

may be its for Asians 

they only investigated those drives for adult constant  and only hard drives usb flash mobile nothing dont know what was the theory behind it but it was terrible

Who is in Jubail? is there anyone in here who also found this great site..? :)

boredomsucks wrote:

Who is in Jubail? is there anyone in here who also found this great site..? :)

This wouldn't be the place to post to find friends in Jubail--nobody'll see it!  There's several threads about Jubail in the last couple days, you should reply!

Best of luck.

to americans, I thought america is nice place to work why you have to leave america? im just wondering :?

@boredom again, not the place for this, it's :offtopic:  Make a new thread!

sorry alliecat.. peace.. ;)

boredomsucks wrote:

sorry alliecat.. peace.. ;)

No problem :)

DO bring some entertainment with you. You'll need (at the least) a decent laptop and external hard drive (500Gb minimum) with plenty of movies, music and tv series. Read the plethora of 'Top Ten/100' lists online and download/buy all those you haven't seen or want to see again. You can also watch tv, via the correct cable (HDMI etc), on your television that's broadcast online to your laptop or saved on your hard drive/s.

You'll also benefit from a more portable device for keeping boredom at bay (queueing or waiting for paperwork, waiting for the shops to reopen after prayer time etc). Something like a mini ipad or Nexus 7 is ideal for this. You can also read books or newspapers on your tablet.

Hey Guys !

One important note, Do no carry your external storage devices in your bags if they contain some nasty stuff. Sometimes airport offficials randomly check them. If they find any stuff they confiscate your devices and you need to pay SR 1000 for each device and they wont return the device as well.

This happened with my Saudi colleague. His both drives were confiscated and he had to pay the fine. He tried his best to get the devices back as he had family photos n other personal stuff but he failed to get them back. Always keep your drives in your pockets when u go thru the scanning at exit.

Well hey all, arrived last week technically if you look at the working week, sunday 2am, and straight to work that very same day..
So what i am hearing from reading the last few posts, i a pretty lucky sod with customs, went through, they asked to see one suitcase which was entirely filled with my computer brought over from the UK and well once opening it then took one look and then said "its your computer, carry on" nothing nasty on it but was concerned as it seems no mater whats on it they will not let it go, but no issues, a full desktop computer and the chap seemed very cheery. I don't know at to think about the customs here, seems a roll of the dice.
Tho any advice on tech over here?