Living in Madinah as a single woman??

Hello everyone!

I am considering work in Madinah as an ESL teacher, but I would have to live there alone without family. I was wondering if anyone can advise me on that?

Are there any people here on the forum from Madinah?

Thanks!

Although I am based in riyadh I have been in all major cities in Saudi Arabia including Madinah due to my work . As general in saudi arabia it's difficult for women to live without family , it's even dangerous for single female to go out to shops or malls alone although it might be possible in Jeddah
I believe most of the time you will be at ESL accomidation and going out only as a group with other ESL teachers commuting by ESL transportation

Regardless that Madinah is small city compared to Jeddah and Riyadh and despite the lack of big malls and other attractions ; I enjoyed my stay there Because of the spirituality of the prophet grand mosque

Creative85 wrote:

it's even dangerous for single female to go out to shops or malls alone although it might be possible in Jeddah
I believe most of the time you will be at ESL accomidation and going out only as a group with other ESL teachers commuting by ESL transportation

Huh??  I go out by myself all the time (I'm not the herd type)--even go to Batha by myself.  I've never had a problem.  Just practice the same security you would in any large city and you'll be fine.

Main Question: What about your accomodation? If it's gonna be arranged by the institution hiring you, they'll accomodate you to sort of a compound/hostel. Probably, you'll have a few colleagues who'll be your family. :)

thanks for all your replies!

yes they said they'll provide accommodation. ive never lived far from family on my own like that so was just a little concerned.

I think if you can live in New York, I think you will be able to handle Madinah.  :)

Creative85 wrote:

it's even dangerous for single female to go out to shops or malls alone although it might be possible in Jeddah

:blink:

Same as Alliecat, I often will go out on my own to malls, supermarkets, souks, whatever. It is not dangerous. I'm more concerned for my welfare walking around some of the streets in London then going out here.

@creative 85: your first post mate.. introductions are the best way to go me thinks.. And its not dangerous, ofcourse if you are talking about a single lady walking in the middle of the night, thats dangerous anywhere.

@musaafira: it will be cultural shock, it will be a different environment, work wise, climate wise and in a lot of ways. But then take it as an adventure and you will be fine. And like TLL mentioned, you will be in compound.. you will get new frnds..
Cheers! and yeah welcome to the forum! :D

First of all are you a Muslim and are you willing to follow the strict conservative Muslim ways for ladies.   If you are not a Muslim and are not willing to follow the strict conservative
ways then as a woman alone in Madinah it will be difficult.  Since I am not a Muslim I am restricted to travel to Madinah even though I had an office to manage there.  If you are Muslim and are willing to follow the strict interpretation of the muslim ways then Madinah I was told by my staff is a very nice place to be.  Most modernized Muslims even from the Middle East love to visit Madinah and Makkah but refuse to live and work there.  It is above all a religious site.   Do not expect much freedom to roam as a single woman.  As far as your security I feel that anywhere in Saudi Arabia with the exception of certain areas in any city are as safe or safer than the equivalent in the US.   
The problem is there are numerous men here that do not access to ladies for prolong periods, at most they see faces.  This is not conducive to good behavior when alone with a single lady specially if she is Western and does not cover properly.
I think Jeddah/Riyadh/ Dammam would provide an environment which would not be as shocking specially for a woman alone.  Good luck.

Alon Injed wrote:

First of all are you a Muslim and are you willing to follow the strict conservative Muslim ways for ladies.   If you are not a Muslim and are not willing to follow the strict conservative
ways then as a woman alone in Madinah it will be difficult.

Well, practicing conservative Muslim doesn't mean restricting woman freedom  and not being able to room around. Also doesn't mean forbid girls to play sport at schools nor restricting them from driving cars, add to that many resturant refuse to allow women to dine in without a male relative. And these are only few examples.

What I want to say is that the way Saudi Arabia treat women is not totally related to conservative Islam it's mainly due to Saudi Arabian tradition, and customs and their way of thinking.

Creative 85
Sorry apparently you failed to read my statement as I was clearly refering to Muslims living in Madinah which when I last  checked was not only in SA but in one of the most restrictive areas due to the religioud emphasis.  Nothing wrong with Muslims strict or unstrict as I have very good Saudi friend of both types and they are very good people.  I have visited Jordan and had a feast in the desert outside of Irvid one night with one of my Muslim friends who is from there.  His wife is the most liberal woman I ever met and she lives in Jeddah.  I also have several visits to  Egypt including attending a beduin wedding feast for the daughter of my friend a conservative Muslim which again was great. I have made exploratory trips to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Oman.   If this lady was asking about any of those places my responce would be different.  I adviced a former woman colleague with a new baby from the US to accept and offer in Doha and not to even think about it twice.  She loves the place.   I was director for a large Saudi Company.  I had the bad experience of needing staff in the offices in Madinah and Makkah.  I had to force Muslims to transfer to these places at the threat of termination when I could not find outside hires to go there.  Many immediately started to find other jobs and resign not to be relocated in these two places.  These are good Muslims that visit the Holy places often yet would not live there.
It is apparent you have not lived in America and seen the degree of freedom women have there as compare to the ME and specially SA.   If she was raised in America she will have a very hard time moving to Madinah especially if she is young, alone and wants to be socially active.  Socially active for such a person is not defined as moking Shishas in a seperated area with a bunch of girl friends.   Finally your responce assumes my comments are an attack on Muslim ways.  This is totally incorrect as I believe even conservative Muslims values are worthy of appreciation but are not for everyone.  My wife lived in Jeddah which as you know is fairly open by Saudi standards and left cause of the restrictions placed upon her as have the wife of many of my friends. 

Creative85 wrote:
Alon Injed wrote:

Well, practicing conservative Muslim doesn't mean restricting woman freedom  and not being able to room around. Also doesn't mean forbid girls to play sport at schools nor restricting them from driving cars, add to that many resturant refuse to allow women to dine in without a male relative. And these are only few examples.

What I want to say is that the way Saudi Arabia treat women is not totally related to conservative Islam it's mainly due to Saudi Arabian tradition, and customs and their way of thinking.

I understand that you are not attacking Muslim Way and I don't know why you are taking it personally, I just wanted to calrfy a point that many people think that all the restrictions in Saudi Arabia is based on islamic rules while some comes  from Saudi Arabian traditions and customs!

Alon Injed wrote:

Creative 85
Sorry apparently you failed to read my statement as I was clearly refering to Muslims living in Madinah which when I last  checked was not only in SA but in one of the most restrictive areas due to the religioud emphasis.  Nothing wrong with Muslims strict or unstrict as I have very good Saudi friend of both types and they are very good people.  I have visited Jordan and had a feast in the desert outside of Irvid one night with one of my Muslim friends who is from there.  His wife is the most liberal woman I ever met and she lives in Jeddah.  I also have several visits to  Egypt including attending a beduin wedding feast for the daughter of my friend a conservative Muslim which again was great. I have made exploratory trips to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Oman.   If this lady was asking about any of those places my responce would be different.  I adviced a former woman colleague with a new baby from the US to accept and offer in Doha and not to even think about it twice.  She loves the place.   I was director for a large Saudi Company.  I had the bad experience of needing staff in the offices in Madinah and Makkah.  I had to force Muslims to transfer to these places at the threat of termination when I could not find outside hires to go there.  Many immediately started to find other jobs and resign not to be relocated in these two places.  These are good Muslims that visit the Holy places often yet would not live there.
It is apparent you have not lived in America and seen the degree of freedom women have there as compare to the ME and specially SA.   If she was raised in America she will have a very hard time moving to Madinah especially if she is young, alone and wants to be socially active.  Socially active for such a person is not defined as moking Shishas in a seperated area with a bunch of girl friends.   Finally your responce assumes my comments are an attack on Muslim ways.  This is totally incorrect as I believe even conservative Muslims values are worthy of appreciation but are not for everyone.  My wife lived in Jeddah which as you know is fairly open by Saudi standards and left cause of the restrictions placed upon her as have the wife of many of my friends. 

Creative85 wrote:
Alon Injed wrote:

Alon Injed wrote:

It is apparent you have not lived in America and seen the degree of freedom women have there as compare to the ME and specially .

By the way I have been also in different cities in France and UK !!

Look, the bottom line is that ANY single woman from a western country has a difficult time in this country but there are certain cities that are a bit more liberal.  Unfortunately, Mecca/Medina aren't among these cities.

I know how strict Riyadh is and, personally, there's no way I'd work in Medinah.

Musafirra, there are literally TONS of teaching jobs available.  Take one where you will have the most chance of a success (notably Jeddah or the Eastern province).

Best of luck.

No argument there but it does not address the questioned asked.
Specifically Madinah, SA.  Specifically single woman and specifically someone raised in USA.  Can she cope with the environment she will find.   I think you and I agree it will be difficult.

Creative85 wrote:
Alon Injed wrote:

Agree.  There are many Western women from the USA and other countries in Jeddah.  There are some restrictions but nothing you cannot get around to have a semi normal life.  Last night we had a bowling practice and I met a nurse from Canada that has been here 7 years.  Other than living in a compound and requiring a driver the rest of her life is tolerable for a prolong period of time.  She has no plans of leaving anytime soon and is quite happy here living as a single woman.  I also met two young teachers from the university that came from Houston, Texas.  They told me the same thing.  Try to come to Jeddah if you want to be in SA you will not be disappointed.  The spiritual aspect you can carry inside you and visit Makkah and Madinah anytime you want.

Alliecat wrote:

Look, the bottom line is that ANY single woman from a western country has a difficult time in this country but there are certain cities that are a bit more liberal.  Unfortunately, Mecca/Medina aren't among these cities.

I know how strict Riyadh is and, personally, there's no way I'd work in Medinah.

Musafirra, there are literally TONS of teaching jobs available.  Take one where you will have the most chance of a success (notably Jeddah or the Eastern province).

Best of luck.

Wow I didn't know so many people would reply!!! Thanks all! It is so refreshing to read  these comments! I was at another forum in which people just talk negative negative negative. It got so intolerable so I came here.

To answer some of your questions about me, yes I am Muslim alhamdulillaah, and I wasn't brought up in the States! I would LOVE to go and live in Madinah. I love it even though I've never been there. Many people, like myself, would love to go there to live in a spiritual atmosphere just like that. I was just mainly concerned about going out for necessities. I am not the type of person to go out much any way, I like staying home and I have a lot of research work and so on that I have to do on my computer. So I was just concerned about let's say one day I wasn't feeling too well, what do I do/where do I go? Will the medical facilities be on the compound? Also like what Alon mentioned: how did that single nurse get to the bowling place? She had her own driver?

Oh and I am also looking into Jeddah! It seems like such a nice city with a lot of nice people and things to do.

I am applying for jobs there too. If you guys have any advice on where to look or any sites, please let me know! I think recruitment season is just starting...?

musaafira wrote:

I think recruitment season is just starting...?

There is so much turnover that they recruit 12 months a year.

Actually, you'll keep hearing about the openings till June. July is the Ramadan season and job market will go cold for months.

There are three main International (English) Schools in Jeddah. 

The American School who Superintendent is Dr. Mark English.  I would try them first however be aware it is run as a secular school to Western standards with the exeption of the SA mandated studies.  This is at the request of the parents most of which are Muslims.  My children used to go there when they were here.  My sons best friend was a Saudi Girl who used to be very close to him (He was 5 at the time).  Her parents became our friend and we used to go out to diner together.   Last year there was a big battle as three Indian/Pakistani Americans who were elected to the board tried to change the school to Eastern standards (Islamic clothing, seperation of the sexes, etc.)  and get rid of the American Principal.  The parents led by prominet Saudies forced the ministry of Education to disband the Board and have moderate replacements that would allow the school to continue with Western Standards.  The other two schools are Jeddah Prep which also went through a controversy of its own but appears to be pulling out and The Continental School (British School).  There are also many other smaller private english international academies which I have met some teachers from South Africa who work there but I have little knowledge of their existance.  There is also a very high end Saudi School where there is an American Muslim from Chicago teaching computers however this is a boys school.  My advice to you is to look to Jeddah first as the cultural shock will be minimized and Mekkah is a short drive away for the religious experience.  Also Madinah is three hours away.  Normally you can take a taxi anywhere but should not go alone.  My wife had an Etheopian gentleman that would give her rides in his new car to work and back home for 800 SAR per month $220.00 USD.  He would also take her shopping even to Ballad the old quater and the Zooks and accompany her for a few dollars more per month.  If a few of the ladies get together I am sure you can get someone on a regular basis with a car to drive you around.  Be aware of taxi drivers although most are decent people some are not.

musaafira wrote:

Wow I didn't know so many people would reply!!! Thanks all! It is so refreshing to read  these comments! I was at another forum in which people just talk negative negative negative. It got so intolerable so I came here.

To answer some of your questions about me, yes I am Muslim alhamdulillaah, and I wasn't brought up in the States! I would LOVE to go and live in Madinah. I love it even though I've never been there. Many people, like myself, would love to go there to live in a spiritual atmosphere just like that. I was just mainly concerned about going out for necessities. I am not the type of person to go out much any way, I like staying home and I have a lot of research work and so on that I have to do on my computer. So I was just concerned about let's say one day I wasn't feeling too well, what do I do/where do I go? Will the medical facilities be on the compound? Also like what Alon mentioned: how did that single nurse get to the bowling place? She had her own driver?

Oh and I am also looking into Jeddah! It seems like such a nice city with a lot of nice people and things to do.

I am applying for jobs there too. If you guys have any advice on where to look or any sites, please let me know! I think recruitment season is just starting...?

thanks for your detailed reply!

i was trying to look primarily into colleges and universities... how is KAU? i tried contacting them but they never reply. i have to try to ask recruiters i guess.

i didn't know madinah was so close (3 hrs away). google is so deceiving, they said its around 6 hours or something away.

Alon Injed wrote:

The American School who Superintendent is Dr. Mark English.  I would try them first however be aware it is run as a secular school to Western standards with the exeption of the SA mandated studies.  This is at the request of the parents most of which are Muslims.  My children used to go there when they were here.  My sons best friend was a Saudi Girl who used to be very close to him (He was 5 at the time).  Her parents became our friend and we used to go out to diner together.   Last year there was a big battle as three Indian/Pakistani Americans who were elected to the board tried to change the school to Eastern standards (Islamic clothing, seperation of the sexes, etc.)  and get rid of the American Principal.  The parents led by prominet Saudies forced the ministry of Education to disband the Board and have moderate replacements that would allow the school to continue with Western Standards.  The other two schools are Jeddah Prep which also went through a controversy of its own but appears to be pulling out and The Continental School (British School).  There are also many other smaller private english international academies which I have met some teachers from South Africa who work there but I have little knowledge of their existance.  There is also a very high end Saudi School where there is an American Muslim from Chicago teaching computers however this is a boys school.  My advice to you is to look to Jeddah first as the cultural shock will be minimized and Mekkah is a short drive away for the religious experience.  Also Madinah is three hours away.  Normally you can take a taxi anywhere but should not go alone.  My wife had an Etheopian gentleman that would give her rides in his new car to work and back home for 800 SAR per month $220.00 USD.  He would also take her shopping even to Ballad the old quater and the Zooks and accompany her for a few dollars more per month.  If a few of the ladies get together I am sure you can get someone on a regular basis with a car to drive you around.  Be aware of taxi drivers although most are decent people some are not.

musaafira wrote:

Distance between Jiddah (Makkah) and Medina (Al Madinah) (Saudi Arabia)

The Distance between Jiddah (Makkah) and Medina (Al Madinah) is :
330.67 kilometers (km).
The approximately estimated travel/road distance can be around 380.27 km to 413.34 km

In Other Units:
205.47 miles. The approximately estimated travel/road distance can be around 236.29 miles to 256.84 miles

Driving at 120 km/h which is slow here more like 150km/h on the road to Madinah  you can expect to travel 3-4 hours max.
The guys I used to send to our office there always said 3 hour to me.  They might have been going 150, 175 or even 200 k/h though.   If you are looking to teach at University level then try KAUST (King Abdulla University for Science and Technology) about 75 km north of Jeddah on the road to Medinah or AEFAT Womans College in Jeddah.  However there are many Universities all over the kingdom.  You should find a few opportunities.  Good Luck

musaafira wrote:

thanks for your detailed reply!

i was trying to look primarily into colleges and universities... how is KAU? i tried contacting them but they never reply. i have to try to ask recruiters i guess.

i didn't know madinah was so close (3 hrs away). google is so deceiving, they said its around 6 hours or something away.

Alon Injed wrote:

musaafira wrote:

As I said earlier, there are hundreds/thousands of Prep.Year university positions open. 

I'm contacted about a job, on average, once a week!

Thanks guys.

I had posted this earlier but we started discussing other things, would you answer this please:

So I was just concerned about let's say one day I wasn't feeling too well, what do I do/where do I go? Will the medical facilities be on the compound? Also like what Alon mentioned: how did that single nurse get to the bowling place? She had her own driver?

musaafira wrote:

Thanks guys.

I had posted this earlier but we started discussing other things, would you answer this please:

So I was just concerned about let's say one day I wasn't feeling too well, what do I do/where do I go? Will the medical facilities be on the compound? Also like what Alon mentioned: how did that single nurse get to the bowling place? She had her own driver?

About the medical, depends on the university but I believe most of them have oncampus medical and refer out for anything more serious than the flu, etc.

As for getting around, it's just like at home:  you get a taxi or have the number of a driver at a limo service (don't get excited--a 'limo' here is just a private car, probably a silver Camry lol).

As 'Limo', Camry is better than a Hyndai Elantra :huh:

Better say: Cab (that also white).

kalbe00 wrote:

Anyone wna chat??? specially girl? join me at [email protected]

Idiot!  I've now signed you up at some gay porn sites.  Hope you enjoy the email you'll be getting :lol:

Musaafira:
As for going out, I don't recommend getting out by taxi, specially alone, I know that many taxi drivers are decent people, but few are bad and it doesnt worth the risk
For private cars I advise you to never go with a guy who own a private car that worse. Going by public taxi car is still safer.
These the advices that I would give to my own sister. Some people would think that I am over protective. But I heard a lot of true bad stories and one happened last year for my friend's wife, so better to be safe.

Alliecat wrote:
musaafira wrote:

Thanks guys.

About the medical, depends on the university but I believe most of them have oncampus medical and refer out for anything more serious than the flu, etc.

As for getting around, it's just like at home:  you get a taxi or have the number of a driver at a limo service (don't get excited--a 'limo' here is just a private car, probably a silver Camry lol).

A limo SERVICE is not a 'private guy.'

Alliecat wrote:
kalbe00 wrote:

Anyone wna chat??? specially girl? join me at [email protected]

Idiot!  I've now signed you up at some gay porn sites.  Hope you enjoy the email you'll be getting :lol:

:o You really did that Alliecat? :lol:

I'm surprized how could you spend any energy on a useless cause!!!

TheLegendLeads wrote:

[
I'm surprized how could you spend any energy on a useless cause!!!

Sweetiepie, I've got a lot of energy and a lot of spare time--we're in Saudia, remember?  This wouldn't be possible at home!

(And of course I didn't--those sites are blocked here :lol:)

Yeah I really don't want  to go anywhere alone in a cab. Maybe I can get myself a travel buddy.

Creative85 wrote:

Musaafira:
As for going out, I don't recommend getting out by taxi, specially alone, I know that many taxi drivers are decent people, but few are bad and it doesnt worth the risk
For private cars I advise you to never go with a guy who own a private car that worse. Going by public taxi car is still safer.
These the advices that I would give to my own sister. Some people would think that I am over protective. But I heard a lot of true bad stories and one happened last year for my friend's wife, so better to be safe.

Alliecat wrote:
musaafira wrote:

Thanks guys.

Alon Injed wrote:

Most modernized Muslims even from the Middle East love to visit Madinah and Makkah but refuse to live and work there.  .

Actually, it's more that they are not able to. There are countless Muslims who want to live in these two cities, but it's almost impossible because the competition is fierce. Any given position brings literally thousands of CVs & applicants. Companies in these two cities don't even bother advertising because they can't handle the flood of CVs & applications they get. (There are severeal websites & list groups devoted solely to helping people finding employment in these two cities.)

As someone who applied to Taibah in Madinah and UQU in Makkkah (got the contact numbers miraculously, but nothing doing on their part), I can assure you, it's got very little to do with people refusing to live in Makkah or Madinah. :)

kathiri wrote:
Alon Injed wrote:

Most modernized Muslims even from the Middle East love to visit Madinah and Makkah but refuse to live and work there.  .

Actually, it's more that they are not able to. There are countless Muslims who want to live in these two cities, but it's almost impossible because the competition is fierce. Any given position brings literally thousands of CVs & applicants. Companies in these two cities don't even bother advertising because they can't handle the flood of CVs & applications they get. (There are severeal websites & list groups devoted solely to helping people finding employment in these two cities.)

As someone who applied to Taibah in Madinah and UQU in Makkkah (got the contact numbers miraculously, but nothing doing on their part), I can assure you, it's got very little to do with people refusing to live in Makkah or Madinah. :)

:o you replied to a post which is dead almost year a go :blink:

valar_morghulis wrote:
kathiri wrote:
Alon Injed wrote:

:o you replied to a post which is dead almost year a go :blink:

Well, I guess kathiri has you to thank for reviving it! :D

If  you don't mind my saying so, I've been reading stuff on this forum for quite a long time and have noticed that people from Pakistan have a tendency to post condescending comments that are not always beneficial to the thread. I mean this has happened a lot! I do wonder what makes them do this - perhaps it's a cultural thing? No offense intended, but rather just something I've observed and I really am curious as to why they do this.

@Fondue Interesting--what I've noticed is Americans and Indians and Brits and Australians do the same thing :lol:

I know I'm certainly guilty of it (usually out of exasperation--please read any of the threads where people are using this forum to apply for university jobs lol).

And BTW, welcome to EB.  Glad you've decided to post! :)

fondue wrote:

If  you don't mind my saying so, I've been reading stuff on this forum for quite a long time and have noticed that people from Pakistan have a tendency to post condescending comments that are not always beneficial to the thread. I mean this has happened a lot! I do wonder what makes them do this - perhaps it's a cultural thing? No offense intended, but rather just something I've observed and I really am curious as to why they do this.

i dont know, maybe if you see a post which is not beneficial and you go directly to check whether he is pakistani or not.

i dont see all the post are beneficial here, what is the title of EB ??? ( share your expat experience ) that cant be always beneficial, every one here has his/her right to express.

thank you

fondue wrote:

i would love to read your reply on these threads,
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=269487https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=269488

i will just post a smiley there to subscribe myslef to the topic.

fondue wrote:

Could you please provide links to some threads where you noticed Pakistanis posting condescending comments?

Thanks. :)

valar_morghulis wrote:
fondue wrote:

i dont know, maybe if you see a post which is not beneficial and you go directly to check whether he is pakistani or not.

i dont see all the post are beneficial here, what is the title of EB ??? ( share your expat experience ) that cant be always beneficial, every one here has his/her right to express.

thank you

Perhaps I've offended (which is so easy when people of different cultures come together), but was really just sharing an observation.

Have you ever had something happen and then it keeps happening and so you notice it? The second or third day I browsed, a person from Pakistan entered a thread with condescending comments (bless me if I remember any of them!). Someone replied with a witty, friendly tap on the wrist. I wouldn't even have cared except he mentioned his country in the thread, etc. It happened several times after that, injecting condescending comments, and so it just struck me. Since I don't meet any Pakistanis (only know one in fact and that was years ago), it simply formed an impression. Honestly, the person could have been from New Zealand for all that matters. Goes to show the strength of first impressions.

However, I must say, I appreciate the polite & friendly tone with which my observation was received.

Have a great day.