Do and don't in Saudi Arabia

Since my last post, I have not responded to some messages. I apologize. I'd like to also extend my deepest apology to people whom, in one way or the other hurt their feelings. I'm faring alright, I think being new to the culture and my surroundings. I also have made friends and slowly getting my way around Riyadh. I guess, the saying " Life is what you make it" holds a great impact on me. I'll make it worth while, till I'm done with Riyadh.

yah.... You're right :-)

Just wanted to say that I feel like most Saudi women are not very social or friendly. But this is their culture.they keep to themselves .I'm from USA  and spending the summer here with my husband,can't wait to get back to the states for many reasons..the land is beautiful,but the society is very different than western life of social activities(not just partying and sex like everyone thinks..lol)

Hang in there..sorry you feel so isolated..what is your home county?

I agree

I enjoyed my stay in Dammam and Al Khobar. People there are more open minded. It is also best if you know how to mingle with and of course understand their culture.

Hi there, I will start working in Riyadh the 24th of August. I am not exactly sure when my flight is, as this is done by the agency. Is it compulsory to where the Abaya at all times, when not in the compound? Do I need to wear one when leaving the aeroplane? Or . .  .  at what stage on arrival do I need to have the abaya on??? Are ladies allowed to wear sandals? I suppose you are laughing out loud now, but these are the silly things I worry about. Am I allowed to take a Bible when first entering the country?? What types of spices don't they have that we as SA Citizens MUST have????

Regards
:lol:

Nothing to say

Greetings:
It is not unknown for women to be scolded for being in the airport without an abaya, even at the arrivals ques. A friend of mine, just this year, upon return from a prolonged leave, forgot to don her black gown when lining up for her arrival stamp at Dammam Airport and was scolded by what she surmised was a female member of the the religious police, the Haia, which has in the last 2 years been recruiting females to enforce such regulations upon other females. As for the bible, those restrictions are discussed elsewhere on this and similar boards. Simply search for the terms. I will add that with the availability of e-books and digital files, being in possession of foreign religious literature in printed form is a risk that seems unnecessary when you weigh the likelihood of your electronic drives being searched.
-alamographics

falsumairi wrote:

Nothing to say

If you have nothing to say why bother posting then...

People should stick with the topic.
Post something that is useful for future expatriates who will come to KSA.
Why are you telling negative things about the Saudi people? The fact that this is their country, you shouldn't be staying here in the first place, we should learn to respect. As the saying goes Respect begets Respect. Not all people are the same. We shouldn't stereotype, and judge people by their nationality. Look at people individually. :) just saying.

Nice topic going on, Even i was not aware things are like that there.BTW situations same in dubai or not.

Hi there!
Well you should wear your ABAYA upon arrival at the airport. You can wear any type of footwear. And it is best if you already have a hair cover (Tarha/ Hejab). You can remove your abaya and tarha it when you are already in your compound or accommodation. For the Bible, take your own risk if you are planning to get a  Bible with you. Place it in your luggage. :) well God bless you and enjoy your stay in KSA!

MTheyse wrote:

Hi there, I will start working in Riyadh the 24th of August. I am not exactly sure when my flight is, as this is done by the agency. Is it compulsory to where the Abaya at all times, when not in the compound? Do I need to wear one when leaving the aeroplane? Or . .  .  at what stage on arrival do I need to have the abaya on??? Are ladies allowed to wear sandals? I suppose you are laughing out loud now, but these are the silly things I worry about. Am I allowed to take a Bible when first entering the country?? What types of spices don't they have that we as SA Citizens MUST have????

Regards
:lol:

Hi there!
Well you should wear your ABAYA upon arrival at the airport. You can wear any type of footwear. And it is best if you already have a hair cover (Tarha/ Hejab). You can remove your abaya and tarha it when you are already in your compound or accommodation. For the Bible, take your own risk if you are planning to get a  Bible with you. Place it in your luggage. well God bless you and enjoy your stay in KSA!

Hello,
I will be 90 days in KSA on the 19 th of July, Yayy!!!.. You don't need to wear an abaya upon arrival at the airport  but be conservative on your outfit. less exposed skin is better.  You will have plenty of oportunities to buy an abaya once u get to the kingdom and they are cheaper than buying on line. Depending on where you will be working and what kind of industry you will be with, the employer usually gives you an " abaya-shopping- moment" since it is a must to wear them in public.In private compounds & embassies,, definitely no abayas needed, but going there in a cab or taxis , you have to have it. Jeans and sandals are allowed. Welcome to KSA and I hope you make the most of it. Just remember what your goal is and when you do get lonesome and so homesick like me on my first 3 weeks, reach out to people.

I sympathize for female expatriates arriving to the kingdom. Rules and laws are stricter on them than elsewhere around the world.

On the other hand, I do not understands some unreasonable complaints about local laws, having ones to should have known most of them beforehand. It is always in their hands the will not to arrive. Although following issues to be mentioned may be less cumbersome to some foreigners than the issue of Hijab obligation, I will provide them for the sake of argument. Because I was not allowed to have a Social Security Number as a foreign student back in the US, I was not issued one. Try explaining that to folks at the DMV (Driving Motor Vehicle) when applying for a local driving license. I had to go to the SS building and get a letter signed by them and returned to the DMV that I am not eligible for one. When going to the local DMV. I had to take both written and on-field driving tests, back in the states, before obtaining my local US license. In Delaware, I could not be field-tested with my own car (Which I fortunately obtained using International Document- temporarily allowed) as I needed someone over 21 to accompany me. I eventually found a good Samaritan, my sweet ESL teacher, to help me through this. On the other hand, in Saudi Arabia, you mostly go to the Department of Traffic in Saudi Arabia and get your local license with fees only using your home country one, which I find unequal. You say I don't need to drive a car in the US but females need hijab in Saudi Arabia, I say that is absolutely correct. However, please read the following. I spent over a year looking for banks to issue me a Credit Card so that I could finance some items with it. You guessed it right, I was not welcomed for not having that magical SS! Even when renting the apartment I was at, the procedure I went through renting a small apartment unit, even with my available couple of months funds, is unspoken for. I had my student VISA (residence-status VISA and not the CC) expired in the states and was not allowed to renew it except at the US Embassy in Riyadh, although this could jeopardize my two years in college I spent, and I'm not getting deeper on the VISA topic, except for that I succeeded and the VISA was granted in Riyadh. My expensive brain and eyes medications, even with prescriptions from Saudi Arabia's public hospitals, were taken away away from me by the immigration, although I cried for them as I was 17 and didn't know what to do without them. I managed eventually. Lots of sad stories, but they happen and we learn from them and life goes on. Despite all these irritating procedures, I understand and respect government laws, and follow them when at their countries, even if I did not like them. I expect others coming here to be more patient about them and discuss them with their embassies.

Legally, Bibles are allowed to carry for expats, although it is very easy to print electronic versions online to and use polypropylene page-protectors and a binders.

Those who have facial "body art" should not worry about it in major touristic places, although I find some strange looks upon them even in lots of other countries.

In law, the dress code states that, "outfits should be modest and unrevealing," although traditionally black colored abayas are subliminally enforced. Other colors are allowed, but I doubt you find lots of people doing so.

Incidentally, I remember reading articles about the US and Western European civilizations, back in 1890-1930's for law enforcers to use some measuring tapes, although in beaches specifically, to measure, when in doubt, how low below the weight dresses are. It might not be the case everywhere, even back then. I remember looking at videos and images for dresses worn by locals in Western Europeans at that period to be much more unrevealing than today.

Remember, Saudi Arabia is a developing country and is observing fundamental changes, as well, in ideological structures of locals, including to expatriates cultures. If you observe older couples, you will find it pretty difficult to come across English speaking ones and even may not understand nor appreciate the differences or conditions. Youth speak English much more fluently and are more educated, on average, to other cultures, than elders. They tend to be more 'open to changes', as well.

Enough social science speeches,

Some sections of laws in Saudi Arabia, as well as in other countries, are unpleasant even to locals. However, laws are enforced and I advise not to presume special treatment.

saudi arabia not bad, its either you love it or lump it! for me its the later.
let me not look for the negatives , there are toooooo many here ! all i can say is  massalama!!

you can bring your bible without a bother . saudi loves people of faith. dont go preaching openly!
respect their culture and you are home and dry ! dont criticize turn a blind eye!
i am not sure how the legal system is , from my observation very brutal if you are non Saudi and moslem.

hello,
Want to share my experience since im work here almost 1 month its not actually bored.. its up to you on how will you enjoy ... be happy for some simple things coming into your life... yeah sometimes you feel alone and no one can understand you, and that moment takes get a little lonely  if that happen to me, i face to my computer and spend time for browsing the net.. there's a lot of malls try to explore at night.... the saudi is good all you have to do is find more friends just like what im gonna do.. hope it'l helfriends  :top:

Do I have to close my Saudi bank acc before I leave ( as I plan to come back in 6 mths )

Foxydale wrote:

Do I have to close my Saudi bank acc before I leave ( as I plan to come back in 6 mths )

i didn'y get what do you mean madam.. but in my opinion if you have a VISA ATM its helps you alot.. you don't need to go for some money changer to chage your currency.. and hustle free if your ATM is a DEBIT CARD ...

Thank you x

To: Boskind

Hi boskind, I'm also a boskind - we might be working together!!! I will fly to Riyadh on the 20th of August. Please make contact as I'm also Afrikaans. I would love to find my fellow South African buddies - also looking forward. I believe, we always believe in the positive and make the best of whatever comes our way.

M

To everyone.
I think it is too early to judge islam from the life style of saudi arab.....but i do agree that the persons working here wil not believe  that islam is a religion of tolerance.....but u dont jugde a religion from its followers that is not fair especially the muslims of saudi Arabia...u want to know islam and its tolerance check out scripts, life of Prophet and His followers. .    .....

Hello Aamir Assalamoalakum,

I am sorry to say the reality is that if I want to know, judge or do whatever about Islam, I would look around and judge by the first Muslim community around me, I will not take admission at the history department of Oxford University and start reading about the life of people 1400 years ago.

May sound strange, but I am afraid this is how today's world operates.

Waleikum assalaam
brother I really dont agree that u need admission in Oxford university....islam is the fastest growing religion around the globe particularly in non muslim countries.....if u dont agree check out the details. ...and they did not went to any university. ...islam is following the life of prophet...and hardly any muslim does that ...in shaa Allah when u find one..u will get to know what islam is.....islam is a rreligion of peace and tolerance. ..and I dont need to prove it..just for the example. ..there was once this non muslim brother. .who urinated in the mosque. ..upon seeing this the followers of prophet went furious. ..but the prophet stopped them and said he does not know what he has done...clean the area and let him go......I guess u wont find this much of tolerance in any religion. ...and for the bad name to islam. ..thanks to media and the so called muslims

Very much right....and be very careful!!!

Hello all,  :cheers:

Just for info, the forum does not encourage topics such as religion, and this topic is mainly on do's and don'ts in Saudi Arabia, please could we stick to that?

Best regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Duba tabouk area

For you kind information sir I am new in Saudi Arabia Before that I went England  for study in 2010 to 2012

salam everyone and welcome to KSA :))

Most of ppl who came to saudi lived in a compound for the whole time staying here and they talked about Saudi Arabia like they know it very well !!

most ppl here are so friendly and easy to talk to . but the problem always is the languege !
I'm here between u guys as Saudi so if anyone want to ask just let me know :)
have a nice stay here in saudi arabia :)

Bukha ,,

Bukha wrote:

Most of ppl who came to saudi lived in a compound for the whole time staying here and they talked about Saudi Arabia like they know it very well !!

Most people who come here live in a compound?  Nice joke, bro.

Only a tiny fraction of expats live in compounds, as they are highly expensive, and there aren't that many to begin with.  There are some 7 million expats in SA, and perhaps at most 100,000 live in compounds.

Naeem Asghar wrote:

For you kind information sir I am new in Saudi Arabia Before that I went England  for study in 2010 to 2012

For whose information?  And what does that have to do with the topic of this thread, or with anything else?

I'm sorry that I used the wrong word 
but please focuse in the main idea that i want to make :)

are u a Filipino? is it really true? that some part of saudi arabia never allowed women to be seen in public places? and does ras tanura one of that cities?

Hey Roberto,

My name is Chris, I am British, currently living in Mexico City with my Mexican wife and my son.
The reason for the message is that I see you are living over in Saudi (Not sure exactly where though).

I have been presented with an opportunity to move to either Rabigh or KAEC, to live in the employers compound.
We have not made the decision to go yet but I was reallly hoping to connect with like minded expats who could possibly share their thoughts/experiences/advice.

I would prefer to speak on standard email or skype rather than through this site where possible. My contact information is [email protected], SKYPE chrisparker-11

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

BR//
Chris

Saudi Arabia is not like before, now you can do anything you are thinking of, but some things are   classified illegal and you should not do in public. Although many things are illegal, but they are available if you are seeking.
Also, rules here are classified between Muslims and non Muslims, for example Muslim women should commit with Hejab, and Muslims should commit with praying times and avoid walking in the street while prayer times, however, non Muslims are not obligated to do, the religious police (Hayaa) or Mutawwa not investigate with them in most cases.

What's the deal when going the beach, can you whip your top off?

longstebe wrote:

What's the deal when going the beach, can you whip your top off?

Read the forum for complete insight about KSA. :) But to answer you in short its a STRICT NO !!

So my male thong is out of the question then  :D

Abel54 wrote:

im gay. is my neck safe in Saudi? I fear for it!

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as long as you don't flaunt your gayness in public.
Like everything else taboo, keep it inside your own 4 walls.

I've never even been to KSA and I'm already an expert  :D