Do and don't in Saudi Arabia

Hi Alamo, ya I spent a few days in Bahrain on my way in and will be going there from time to time to "get out".  It is expensive though so that won't be too often.  Adobo and empanada?  Do you make that yourself or is there a latin american restaurant somewhere here?:top:

Hi Sandtrout: Yeah, Bahrain is expensive. But you almost have to accept it as the price of freedom. As for the adobo, empanadas and a large cross-section of Philipino cuisine, it's very much influenced by the Latin colonial years. That'why I go so much for Philipine food (and culture). As the son of Puerto Ricans, I am a big fan of latino/carribean cuisine, the Philipino food offerings being the closest match to such cuisine. It may be another reason the Khobar region seems to have a lot more flavor than most of Saudia. -pbn

I am offered a job as a resident doctor at Al qassim..,please tell me if the hospital accomodation for doctors is a compounded one?? i m a female n plan to bring my hubby n kid  a lill later,,mis it all worth it??

Well. Look at the amount of money you are offered in Saudi Arabia. Compare that to how much you will make in the US. Now factor in the ZERO tax bite, the almost zero cost of gasoline, the very inexpensive price of auto insurance, nearly full medical coverage. Will you also have you children's education convered? Okay. Now ask yourself, is it looking like a good deal? Then you can wonder about the compounds and other amenities. I know money isn't everything. But it sure is a big motivator. -pbn

you got that right Alamo :D

Yup sure..,money is definitely the motivation..,chidrens education wont be covered..,rest all facilities will be provided..,in general hw is female expat doctor's lives out there??

meryli ,, lot of expat doctor's living here at SA ,, Arabs and non Arabs , and they are making good money here 2 lol :D

i am not surprised to see some body who feels that saudi arabia is boring cuz he finds no drugs sorry dude but we appreciate our mind and our health here i really feel comfertable at this calm safe kind country

Dude: Who's talking about drugs? And most will agree it's not the lack of drugs that makes this place boring. As for myself, it's pretty much what you make of it, cause I'm enjoyed walking around and swimming on the Eastern Province beaches, among a host of things that make this a unique and rather extraordinary country. But let's not kid our fellow readers. If you're used to movie theaters, rock & roll concerts, late night soirees with the brat (and/or lady) pack and the like - hey, you better start thinking of different ways to pass the time, cause this place is DIFFERENT.

How much it approximately costs for a compounded accomodation in Riyadh?

Hi -- does anyone know where i can find formal (or informal) documentation on Hiring Laws for Saudi Arabia? I am researching on possible ventures overseas.

Kind Regards

Off topic, please create a new thread :) and ask your questions.

Salman

I love Saudi Arabia! Most of my life here is just stayin at home taking care of my kids, doing same routine day in day out. I thought , like everybody says, that I will die of boredom but what happened was the opposite. Limited times of going out, only seeing fiends during weekends...

But who would have thought,. Staying mostly inside the house made me to read and read and read ...books that are now very helpful to me. Had been completing numerous e courses, and after that I have all my time to use in doing what I really want to do like writing and again, to read more and more. I swear, because of those routinary activities I had been having, I have improved a lot spiritually.. Thanks to this boring kingdom who does not approve of ladies freely going out to see some friends anytime. Had I been occupied in doing something else, I guess i never would have achieved this wisdom and spiritual maturity I only got from staying at home.

Hello everyone;  I have been browsing through this topic area and it has been very helpful.  I will  be arriving in KSA on January 5th and having read most of the posts I believe I will have a better understanding of what to do and not do while I'm there.   Thank you.

Welcome etaylor:

Haven't been to Waco in years since I was stationed at Ft. Hood. If you're in the Eastern Province, near the bridge to Bahrain, drop me a line. We can cross the bridge together for the occasional American beef jerky run.
-pbn

Sounds good Alamo....Thanks.

okay i have a question for all of you who live in saudi arabia, i am going to move there in january of 2013 and my fiance tells me that women in madinah have to wear niqab... i want to know is that a requirement ? and are all women wearing it who are in saudi arabia? i am currently in the usa but will move there because of my hubby's work. please let me know. thanks.

No. Niqab is the ninja mask type of face covering. Not required, even by Saudis, although many Saudi ladies and some other nationalities wear it on orders from their husbands or because they're lead to believe it's good to do so. The hijab, or head covering seems to be required though in some places, such as Khobar, in Eastern Province, some foreigners, in particular Filipinas, opt not to wear head covering. Some religious police are adamant that the head should be covering but in Khobar it's common to leave the Philipinos be. The rest of the body, neck to toe, is indeed supposed to be covered by a black gown called the abaya. The only exceptions are Western residential compounds and some company areas that have adopted Western traditions. -pbn

Head covering is only required. Non of the foreign females including Americans, Europeans, Lebanese and Filipinos are not bothered by Religious Police at all so do not have to worry for this one, not even a bit!
Although, if some pissed of Religious guy does bother you for head cover, just do it for sake of minute or two. Inside the Masjid (Mosque) you are always required to wear a head scarf as it is important but in Malls and cars, zero pressure.

Well, I think it's fitting that simplysk uses a double negative in saying "non (sic) f the foreign females....are not bothered by Religious Police at all so do not have to worry for this one, not even a bit" I tell you from experience. Noone, NOONE is immune from the power and eyes of the Saudi religious or civil police in Saudi Arabia. NOONE. No double negative here. -pbn

oh my my.... my bad!
I was surely mistaken. I meant "Non of the foreign females including Americans, Europeans, Lebanese and Filipinos are not bothered by Religious Police at all so do not have to worry for this one, not even a bit!"

Alamo, You might have had a bad experience, these Religious police tend to have mood swings, trust me, I have lived here long enough and can tell they will just ask you to cover the head if they are in bad mood. In Riyadh and Jeddah both, non the lebanese or american women anymore cover the head, although once in a blue moon they do come n ask you to cover.

Pardon for the mistake

Okay, let me say quickly that a man can't really say what does and does not happen to women here since how does he know?  What he has seen?

I am an American woman and just two days ago there was a mutawa--his face angry and contorted--demanding (NOT asking) me to cover my head.

It doesn't happen a lot but seriously, it does happen (and MORE often than 'once in a blue moon').  It's easiest just to do it and ten seconds later, when they walk away, to uncover.  If their purpose is to shame and/or bully me, my purpose is to make them look like ineffectual fools.

Allie,

I know because many (and many) times I had been with the ladies! lol so i know. In Riyadh they are more active than other cities.

There are cases like that, I believe and I too have witnessed it but its rare.

I do not say they are intellectual fools, they are actually total fools.

simplysk wrote:

I do not say they are intellectual fools, they are actually total fools.

I said inEFFECTUAL, not intellectual.  There's a difference.  Look it up! ;)

I m surely having a bad day :\

all that matters is,,,, they are fools.

simplysk wrote:

I m surely having a bad day :\

Nah, your English is excellent.  Smile! :D

I have seen that laugh, and It is not a complimenting laugh, trust me

simplysk wrote:

I have seen that laugh, and It is not a complimenting laugh, trust me

Huh?  :huh:

lol, nothing serious, I just thought ur laugh was a contorting attempt to fix my english.... i was wrong?
right?

Yes, you were wrong.  I said your English was excellent.  Why second guess that?  It was a compliment.

My request to 'smile' was a reaction to your :\  face! 'Contorting attempt' ??? HUH?

yeh dnknow,,, last time i checkd i was optimistic... i guess m losing my grip... lol. from now on, no second guesses..

thankx for the compliment :cool: yours is owesome too :P

just saw the edition!
Lol about contorting... I liked your expression when u used it for the Religious ninjas. Hope you dont mind :>

Hi: Ok simplysk, I guess you've had enough grief. Thanks for being a frequent poster, even though you're new. And maybe I wasn't fair to you. You probably were referring to the Niqab as not being trouble for the ladies. You would be right that mutawa don't make this an issue. I have been harangued about the head covering. Rarely does it happen yes, but you don't want to be confronted by these guys, even rarely. It really does leave an impression. -pbn

No worries Alamo
We are not here to judge people, but to share our views, arent we?

I have been telling you with my experience and the people I know, which is almost 20 years in Jeddah, and 3 in Riyadh and Jubail. You are absolutely right, there should not even be rare incidents like that, but for a minute you should just consider the society n culture here is very traditional like once it was in Europe n America when immodest clothes were not very social.
If Saudia has gotten rid of Niqab in last 10 years, give them another 10 and they will get better with time.

simplysk wrote:

If Saudia has gotten rid of Niqab in last 10 years, give them another 10 and they will get better with time.

I Agree with u Buddy, There will be a Paradigm Shift, but surely with time !!!

Alliecat wrote:

If their purpose is to shame and/or bully me, my purpose is to make them look like ineffectual fools.

I cannot Stop laughing, I think you shoud write this in Arabic(And nobody will object that language here :P), so that those guys come to know their actual worth !!! :lol::lol:

Also I was wrong about the opinion, that 100% women @ riyadh  cover their heads. Just saw lots many of them without covering their heads !!

saimans wrote:
simplysk wrote:

I Agree with u Buddy, There will be a Paradigm Shift, but surely with time !!!

Absolutely. And if it takes 2 mins of head covering, I would not object it, as this is their tradition. They should change, but hence they havent yet, we have to work it out.

Well life in saudi is tough as frm the social point of view but u can be adjusted in couple of months with the local enviroment.

What about head covering for men? I am interested as I am moving to KSA in August. It's voluntary, right?

OneManArmy wrote:

What about head covering for men? I am interested as I am moving to KSA in August. It's voluntary, right?

:nothappy: No Head Covering for men. Unless u feel comfortable in a Veil !!! :P