Tax laws on imported cars

Hi all,

I'm looking to bring a vehicle from UK over to Mauritius, for business use. I know you must pay 100% tax of the value of the vehicle (please correct me if I'm wrong). Does it matter on the age of the vehicle also?

Any information with regards to this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Here's what you can find from the MRA website:

Any person wishing to import a second-hand car should seek a valid import permit from the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Consumer Protection prior to the importation.The age of the car should be not less than 18 months and not more than 48 months at the time of the shipment.
Documents required to clear a second-hand motor car from Customs:
Invoices
Bill of lading / Airway Bill
Pre-shipment Inspection Certificate (PSI)
Log book / Registration book
CO2 Emission Certificate
In case of returning citizen where the CO2 amount is not mentioned on PSI, a certificate from manufacturer is required.
Returning citizens importing a car owned by him and manufactured before 1st July 2005 need not produce a CO2 Emission Certificate.
No CO2 Emission Certificate is required for a vintage car.
"Classic or vintage motor car" means a motor car which has been registered before 1st January 1970.

I think, CO2 emission tax is removed !

Yes, CO2 tax has been removed (it was one of measures in the budget some 2 years back i think). However, the above checklist is straight from MRA website and it does not mention the 'tax'. Instead it mentions 'having the CO2' certificate.