Registering a birth in Argentina

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Argentina? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Argentina?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

hi! i registered my son´s birth two years ago and it was very easy, though i live in a small town where all paperwork is easier than in a big city. we went to the office ¨registro civil¨ also called ¨registro de personas¨ and i think the only papers we needed were ¨constancia de parto¨ which we got at the hospital when he was born, my passport (cuz i wasn´t a legal resident at the time) and the father´s DNI. the father and i went together. i don´t remember if one of  could have done it alone. i think you have up to 40 days after the baby is born to file. we did it when he was 17 days old.

when he was 6 months old we filed for his US citizenship (easier than getting a visa, and we wanted to visit the US). that required LOTS of paperwork, mostly to prove that i had lived suffiecent time in the US to be able to pass on my citizenship. however, there was lots  of info on the internet about how to get the US citizenship, and it only took one trip to the consulate (about 3 hours) and then his passport arrived two weeks later. my husband has argentine-italian double citizenship, but we haven´t started the paperwork yet to get the italian citizenshp for our son.

good luck!