Is a British citizen able to hold an Argentine Passport

Hi, I wonder if someone has been through a similar situation as me? 

I am a British citizen living in Argentina and I hold an Argentine DNI. My British passport ran out a little over a year ago. I have tried to pay for a new one through the UK gov website with 3 different bank cards and I am unable to go through the process but not sure why I can't use a Visa credit/debit or meastro card issued by an Argentine bank. I have contacted the British consulate in Buenos Aires and also the consulate in Mendoza trying to find out if I can do the paperwork with them to renew my passport. Both consulates say that they do not carry out that type of service.

When I ask if I could apply for an Argentine passport without loosing (denouncing) my British citizenship I am provided with a link which takes me to a page on the UK gov website which really is not clear enough for me to be able to make a decision whether or not to do the paperwork for an Argentine passport and also no advice is given through the consulate. If I need to communicate via email to anyone in the passport office I need to pay for this service so now I feel that I am stuck. Trying to get information from anyone official is like squeezing blood out of a stone and I have come to a point where I am just wondering what to do.

I live about 12hrs away from BsAs and about 4hrs from Mendoza

Any advice is welcome but I wanted to know from someone who has maybe gone through this first hand.

Thanks for reading

You do not loose your Uk citizenship if you apply for an AR passport.

Thanks for replying. Do you know where I can find anything official to back up what you are telling me. The reason being is that if I can't complete the paperwork to renew my British passport I would apply for the Argentine and then continue with the renewal of the British passport in the UK when I travel there next.

Thanks in advance.

@Dale Mitchell  can't help on the passport side but maybe try to get an international visa someway eg Wise, Revolut.  It doesn't have to be credit, it could be a debit card.

if you still have a British bank account that would be easier.

@Jwoddis

You are right, it does make it easier having one of the above accounts. I do hold one of the accounts mentioned but a few aren't available yet in Argentina and most are without a card if you signed up to an account with an address in Argentina. I only know this because I have started to work remotely and found this all out as I went through the process.

I am an Argentine citizen. About the credit cards, have you tried to contact the bank? this is the official government website where you can find official information.

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/obtener-la … o%20nativo

Argentine nationality cannot be waived. If foreign citizens have another or many other nationalities, this does not prevent the possibility of accessing Argentine nationality." You can have both of them, But then you can't renounce your Argentine citizenship."I live about 12hrs away from BsAs and about 4hrs from Mendoza" Unfortunately the best services and the highest response are located in the center of the city of buenos aires. I don't know what your budget is but you can try to get the help of a law firm dedicated to these issues, to guide you in any process, but as i said almost all are located here in the city.

@Dale Mitchell have you tried using someone else's non Argentine credit card to do this?  Eg a relative in the UK.  I had to renew a British passport from the DR and there were aspects that were challenging but some of it was very straightforward.  I would then have them DHL it to a DHL office here for pickup.

@Dale Mitchell just order a new passport online via UK Passport Office website & get them to mail it to your parents' or a relative's address in UK. Then get them to DHL it to Argentina. Have a friend living in BA who lost his passport in December & needed a new one having already bought a flight to Brazil. There's a fast track service.