Catania, Sicily looking to form an expat group

I am looking to form an expat group here in the Catania area for swapping of stories, creating a support group, laughter, fun, etc.. Also interested in meeting other bilingual families to create a strong bilingual environment for my son. Please contact me if you are interested!

Welcome to Expat.com acicastello :)

It is a good initiative and I hope you will get some positive and encouraging responses soon ;).

Regards

Hello,
My name is Linda , I am originally from the USA (Rhode Island)
I have lived since 2006, before that in Greece for 3 years. I spend my time between Siracusa(Ortigia) and Avola where I have a small farm. I would be interested in meeting in Catania with other xpats. thanks

Hi.  I'm an expat from the USA with Italian citizenship, but little language skills.   I would love to connect with people, on many subjects, about living in Italy here, and other expat locations.  I'm a single OLD, female, ha ha, with a small dog, and don't know how I retain a sense of humor, but I still have one.  I've usually too much to say, and I notice on some of the boards the posts are years old with hardly a reply ... if there's anyone "here" who'd like to strike up a conversation with me, I have lots of questions, and mostly hope for friends.   

I spent years and years working to get out of the USA .... finally being able to do it, at the worst time in history, and my brain so old it's harder to learn the language better with not much practice.  I had the bad luck to find a place very far from local things, isolated on a hill, much higher than I'd been told it was, so I cannot get out and about as much as i'd like. 

I really seek diaglogue.  Anyone care to dialogue with me, you'll find me a very truthful person.  I don't seek work, as I'm an early retiree, with a small pension.  Too small for Italy, but I have no other ideas or pathways that I see, open, for me and the dog ... with my limited physical resources (self). 

Anybody writing me I'd appreciate it.  :)

Hello all....and Lola,
I am a Slovenian currently in Panama.....after a year in Costa Rica....and yearning to return to Europe. Just miss tooo many things - apart from my daughter and our Birman cat. I am 55 years young and very healthy, fit and sporty, with a plethora of ideas, crazy keen on healthy eating, cooking, gardening, art, design, photography, natural medicine and human contact. I am an interior designer by profession turned translator. I have worked on cruise ships and ran a tourist resort in Costa Rica. An American friend has asked me to partner-up with him in a b&b business in Panama, but things have proven too complicated - and I want to return 'home'.
I believe I can find my peace - and all else - in Sicily. I will be happy to dialogue and learn from you all. I have some friends in Messina and I speak Italian (obligatory in my part of Slovenia - on the border with Trieste).

So much for starters......happy to answer all the questions you may have.

Silvana
translatorscafe.com/cafe/SL/member78076.htm

Very quiet this forum. I hope everyone is happy and busy :-)

hi, Lola returned to the States as far as I know. She had some health concerns.
With the skills you have and your interests I believe you would thrive here. I love the southeastern corner of Sicilia and despite all the reports to the contrary, there is work and a sustainable living to be had here. you can email me as i dont check the websites much.
[email protected]

Hi!
I see that your post is not very recent, but could you create this expat group? I'll be in Sicily next week... thx!sara

Best of luck....I decided to move to Brindisi, Puglia and love it so far. I shall hope to read more on this blog as Sicily is still on my list.

hi tenera, did you move already to puglia? and where exactly? I live further down brindisi... just if you need any advice that I can give you! take care!

Hello,
I am renting in Brindisi Casale at the moment but want to move to the old part of town. I don't have a car at present and would like to be closer to a train station/public transport.
Fortunately I have already made some nice friendships so life  is good. Waiting for some free time to start biking:-))

Silvana

Hi there, I'm in Catania for 2 years, so I would be glad to meet expat in some are interested anywhere in Sicilia.I have a car so i can move :)

Cheers.

Fabrice

Hi all,
I am in Reggio Calabria, just moved here 9 months ago and Sicily is fairly close for me.  There is no one in my whole town who speaks English.  My two girls picked up the language fast, but I am a work in progress.  Look forward to talking to ANYONE who speaks English.  Have a great day!
Jeannie

HI iam also retired in naples ive been here 6 month and live in a small apt with my italian lady friend .I used to live in union new jersey  but i do speak italian and just getting used to the way of living here in naples love to here from you ciao pete

Small world Pete, I used to live in Linden New Jersey.  I have a nephew in Naples, I've been there a few times but I am living in Gioia Tauro in Calabria.  It took some getting used to but I'm getting there.

Hi Jeannie ive been here 7month and still trying to get used to it how long have you been here

I lola i wonder if you can help me out ,ive been in the naples aerea for the last 9 month and ive had my sister sent me my money from my bank in the states to a bank here in italy .Is there a better way of doing the transaction .I am also a italian citizen born in naples aerea and left this contry now im retired and came back here to live. And im also a US citizen .please respond if you can thanks Pete

Hi, I am moving to the Catania area in a couple months, I'm new to this blog so I didn't see when you posted that you wanted to start a group there. Did you? If so, I would be interested in joining and definitly getting some info on housing, etc... thanks!

plz contect with me [email protected]

I advise you open an online account. I spend time between Italy and Panama (I am a Slovenian national). I opened a Poste Italine Click account, no charges!
I receive money from around the world and draw money from ATMs anywhere.

Hello saim khan -> Could you please introduce yourself? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi all,

I apologise if  I am posting this at the wrong section. My name is Kingsley. I will be moving to Catania - from 28/02 or shortly after - to work as a researcher at the University. My major concern now is to get accommodation. My preference is a studio/ one-bedroom flat, though i am open to sharing flat. Any advice on how to go about this is appreciated