Visa procedure

Hello everybody,

I'm a new member of expat.com and I just arrived in Cancun.
As I wanted to make some contacts with people inscribed on this site, I already block the message system  :top: ...
So, I introduce myself, my name is Delphine, I'm french and 33 years old, I used to work as a lawyer and in commercial business when I was in France.
Last year I did a world trip with a friend and now I want to start a new life, here in Mexico.
I arrived in Cancún yesterday, I'm a little afraid of visa procedure because I was in contact with many companies which were looking for workers who speak english, french and spanish (as me) but they ask me to already have a visa which allow me to work. The problem is that on his side, immigration services asked for a job offer to deliver that kind of permit... So the situation is a little confused to me.
So thank you to everybody, first to take the time to read that (written in bad english) and second to give advices, opinions or experiences.

Delphine

Didn't you get in contact with a Mexican consulate in France before coming?
Are you in Mexico on a Tourist Card FMM?

Here's what I found on the Internet.

"Since a change in legislation in 2012, you need to have a job offer or work contract from a company registered in Mexico to apply for a work permit. The company has to apply for the work permit with the INM and you can stay in Mexico on a tourist visa until you are cited to collect your visa in the Mexican consulate of your home country. You then have to leave Mexico and pass an interview at the consulate abroad, after which you get your work permit."

I came to Mexico to work for a subsidiary of a US company years ago.  the subsidiary had to get approval from the Mexican government before they could allow me to come to Mexico.  It has not really changed.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Mexi … rk-permits

Thank you Gudgrief, you're right, the law changed again...and it gets more and more complicated for people like me who want to move.
To answer your question, yes I asked the embassy in France but it was very long and I wanted to move on, so yes I put myself into an adventure and I hope I will find solutions.
I was told to contact a lawyer who may help me to get a work visa or a temporal residency with work permit. What do you think? Should I have confidence? Thanks

I can't offer you much encouragement.
The Mexican legal system is very complex and inconsistent.
I never used a Mexican lawyer but a couple of friends did for things like correcting a birth certificate or a property dispute.  They spent a good deal of money and didn't get their problems solved.

Depending on what kind of work you can do, you might to be able to get a job where pay you in cash and keep no personnel records.  You would be underpaid and under the threat of being reported if you complained about conditions.  Some language teachers do it for years by taking private students.

From Cancun, you can get a new Tourist Card at a Belize border crossing every 180 days. 

Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Good luck.

Hi Delphine,

Welcome to https://www.expat.com! ;)

I created a new topic as from your post on the Mexico forum.

Best of luck,
Christine
Expat.com

>>>  they ask me to already have a visa which allow me to work.

They have that backwards ..... they need to help you get the Visa.  You will still have to return to your home country to apply

Delphine25 wrote:

Thank you Gudgrief, you're right, the law changed again...and it gets more and more complicated for people like me who want to move.
To answer your question, yes I asked the embassy in France but it was very long and I wanted to move on, so yes I put myself into an adventure and I hope I will find solutions.
I was told to contact a lawyer who may help me to get a work visa or a temporal residency with work permit. What do you think? Should I have confidence? Thanks

You need to find an employer to offer you a job. Then you go back to France OR you can go to the Las Vegas Mexican Consulate and apply for a Residente Temporal visa with a "Permiso para Trabjar",  work permit, with all the documents the employer supplies you with a confirmed job offer. They have a point system when classifying immigrants and you need to be under the classification of professional with native language English that the employer specifies in the documents to not be excluded from applying or turned down and taking away a professional job from a Mexican citizen. It is doable and Las Vegas is very well the best and easiest Mexican Consulate there is, I have heard second hand from friends who went there and were from Canada, not needing to apply in their home country as some have stated. The employer has to apply to be registered with Mexican Immigration to hire foreigners. You need to have translated by official Spanish translators accepted by the INM, Mexican Immigration, or the Mexican Consulate in Las Vegas your degrees and probably your birth certificate.