How to apply for permanent residency

I was just think since the requirements are changing for Brazilian to go to Mexico. Since I  am a US citizens can qualify for residency in Mexico. I would like to see if both myself and my Brazilian wife could get a permanent residency for Mexico. I have two reasons for asking we both like to spend months down in Mexico. I know to apply you have to go to a Mexican consulate. Just wondering if anyone has tried to go here in Brazil to the Mexican consulate and get permanent residency by Mexico. I was just thinking with how crazy the world is becoming would be nice to have more places to go and live without hassle. Thank

@NewBrazil

I had three clients use the consulate in Rio, one was approved on economic solvency, the others came through on family unity. Permanent residency at most consulates is reserved for retirees or folks of retirement age. If you meet that and the financial qualifications there's no reason you shouldn't be approved. If they don't qualify you immediately for

permanent, you can get temporary and then convert to permanent after four years.

@NewBrazil
I had three clients use the consulate in Rio, one was approved on economic solvency, the others came through on family unity. Permanent residency at most consulates is reserved for retirees or folks of retirement age. If you meet that and the financial qualifications there's no reason you shouldn't be approved. If they don't qualify you immediately for
permanent, you can get temporary and then convert to permanent after four years.
-@drgresidency

I am curious on the temp to permanent.  Do they have to meet the permanent income after 4 years or get perm at temp income level? Asking for a friend.  The consulate pages is very limited on this kind of info? Also if the temp goes up during the 4 years does your income have to meet the new income at each renewal and when you apply for perm?

@MexicoAfterlife Once you are approved for temp, after one year you renew for 3 years and you do not need to show financials, you only need to apply for the renewal. Some offices will ask for bank statements, but they are not looking for a specific amount, they are only looking to be sure you still have income to support yourself.

Same applies for converting to permanent after four years. There is no proof of income needed. Regarding applying for temporary or permanent straight from go, there are varying requirements at each consulate. Very few consulates approve you on income for permanent alone anymore, many require you to be of retirement age or proof of retirement. Temporary is open to anyone as long as they can show the proof of qualifying income.

@MexicoAfterlife Once you are approved for temp, after one year you renew for 3 years and you do not need to show financials, you only need to apply for the renewal. Some offices will ask for bank statements, but they are not looking for a specific amount, they are only looking to be sure you still have income to support yourself.
Same applies for converting to permanent after four years. There is no proof of income needed. Regarding applying for temporary or permanent straight from go, there are varying requirements at each consulate. Very few consulates approve you on income for permanent alone anymore, many require you to be of retirement age or proof of retirement. Temporary is open to anyone as long as they can show the proof of qualifying income.
-@drgresidency

Well on the age and proof of retirement no.  I went to Denver was 48 same with my wife. We had no proof of retirement but met the monitary requirements. All they cared about was our financials. They saw our bank statements and it's was a breeze after. But we are not normal retirement age nor did we have any proof of retirement. So you might want too double check those facts. We came over in 2021 and completed our visa in 1 day at the Denver embassy.

@MexicoAfterlife That all changed in mid-last year and January of this year (2023). All of the consulates that used to give permanent based on income have now tightened up. I had many clients getting permanent based on finances last year no age or retirement status required, but that is no longer happening.

@MexicoAfterlife That all changed in mid-last year and January of this year (2023). All of the consulates that used to give permanent based on income have now tightened up. I had many clients getting permanent based on finances last year no age or retirement status required, but that is no longer happening.
-@drgresidency

Thanks for the new info.  So you have to be in your 60s to get full time resident now? Glad we came when we did. Not sure why they would care about age if you have the money but they make the rules. Makes me even more happy we did full time from the start.

@MexicoAfterlife Pretty much! There are a select few offices I've seen permanent come out of (two to be exact) for someone under 62, but I think they were total flukes with a new agent or an agent in a really good mood ;)

@MexicoAfterlife Pretty much! There are a select few offices I've seen permanent come out of (two to be exact) for someone under 62, but I think they were total flukes with a new agent or an agent in a really good mood wink.png
-@drgresidency

Only makes me sad in the fact that others my age won't be allowed in so I better get used to as my doctor says.. The youngest patients he ever had.  But I have made tons of local friends my age so it's all good.

@MexicoAfterlife the changes break my heart honestly. I have loads of clients that have been planning and planning and now they're out priced because they live on SSI. Hoping with a new administration there might be a shift and the qualification prices get lowered again.

@MexicoAfterlife the changes break my heart honestly. I have loads of clients that have been planning and planning and now they're out priced because they live on SSI. Hoping with a new administration there might be a shift and the qualification prices get lowered again.
-@drgresidency

Well per SSI rules you cannot move out of the USA.  SSDI and regular SS can move out of country. Just information for you. SSI will just cancel the monthly payments if you move out of the country and SS funds out.