Applying for an visa

Hello,

I am Sunsail and I am from Germany. I have lived 3 years in Brazil and I am now moving to Mexico.

Now is the time for applying for an visa. I wan't to work in Mexico-City in my area infrastructure and project management.

It would be great if you could give me some advice what kind of visa I need, how I will get it and if you have some ideas where I should and could apply for a job.

Thanx a lot for your answers.
Sunsail

Hi Sunsail,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have introduced your topic on the Mexico forum as a new thread for better visibility.

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Good luck
Christine

When you arrive to Mexico your plane ticket will come with a FMT or tourist visa.   That is actually gives you legal permission to be in Mexico for up to 6 months.   Then you are going to need to go to the immigration office and apply for a FM3.  You can either get an FM3 or residence card on your own, by showing them you have a way to sustain yourself financially...ie bank statements, legal documents like passport, proof of residence like a copy of your rental lease or once you get a job, your company will help you with that process.

Craig

What I suggest is getting a job first. More cases than not, the company will help support you with your FM3- working status. I also recommend having a lawyer do all the paper work for you. It's about 800 pesos but it saves you A LOT of time. There are several types of FM3 so make sure you get the right one.

I moved to Vallarta, had a job set up and inhouse lawyer, therefore had to provide nothing but some signatures and proof of residence at the apartment I was renting. It took 2 weeks and only had to show up once to immigration office to pick up my card. The lawyer on the other hand, had to take several trips of waiting in line, etc to process everything.

I am living in the wrong place.  Here in Cancun they want like 6000 pesos to do the fm3 for you and the fm3 is only 1300 pesos.   For that kind of money I would stand in line to.  Maybe because Cancun is such a tourist place.

Getting an FM3 type is easy, but there are many who don't like standing in line or sitting and waiting. I have read that many don't understand how to get photographs of themselves nor how to gather their bank statements, so hiring a lawyer or stand-in is easier. Best advise: go to the INM office and ask them what you need for the visa. They won't bite.

so true.  It is not that hard at all.  Just requires some patience.    Joaquin is right.  Just go in there  and ask them what you need.  They will give you a list.  You can usually get bank statements online.  there are a ton of places that take photos.  Mexico is photo happy.  It seems that like photos on every fricking document.  Kind of funny actually.

Heyy guys,i would like to know,how much do i need in my bank account to get a fm3...i live in south africa and plan on going to Mexico and eventually stay there more permanently..i will have finished my studies as a graphic designer and will have a diploma in that to show.. I realy just wanna plan and make sure i have all i need,thanks guysss..

You need a monthly income of around 1,200 usd per month to qualify for a visa (FM3 type) that permits a stay for one year. You might want to visit the Mexican Embassy nearest you and inquire on the amount you need to have in a bank account to qualify for the same type visa.

Your post suggests that you might be looking for employment in Mexico. This is difficult aside from teaching English. The route most taken is applying for a job with a non-Mexican company that has offices in Mexico. You need a corporate sponsor in order to acquire a working visa.

Good luck!

THanks,and any of you know about a tourist visa or visitors visa and how often it can be renewed and so on?

You would have to exit the country and re-enter to get a new FMM (tourist visa) that would be good for another 180 days. The amount of time out of the country varies from a few hours to a few days. A side trip to Guatemala, USA, or Belize and then re-enter would be OK.

why cant i renew visa while in mexico?

A tourist visa (FMM) can not be renewed. They are only issued at the border or at the airport when you debark from an incoming flight. The FM3 visa (one year visa) is renewed at local Migration offices. No exceptions.

what if someone marries a mexican whome they really love and wishes to stay longer is it easier then?

Of course.

Thanks for your help by the way,cuz i really love my boyfriend and we plan on getting married one day and i move there..so i wanted to know some info.. would i be able at all to do that in my 180 days length of my tourist visa and then once married be able to stay longer heheh..sorry all the questions im just trying to get as much info as i can.

This is a little beyond my pay-grade;however, I believe that all can be accomplished in a six month period. After you arrive and settle in, perhaps get married, visit the local IMN (Migration Office) and ask them about what is necessary for you to get a visa for a longer stay. The immigration laws are under a change, but no one knows when. Go the this site for a bit more information: tinyurl.com/3pjqfgm

Thankyouu i really appreciate you trying to help :)