Housing question for temporary residency

Hello, I am a digital nomad who has spent a bunch of time travelling in Mexico. I have a few questions in regards to the temporary resident visa that I have not seen answered in my research:

1) Do you need to own property or sign a lease before applying for the temp resident visa? As a a digital nomad, was hoping to travel around Mexico a lot but did not want a permanent residence. What if you get a one month airbnb in CDMX while the visa processes?
2) How many days do I have to physically be in Mexico if I want to do 4 years of the temp visa and then get the permanent residency visa?

Thanks,
kaw753
Hello, I am a digital nomad who has spent a bunch of time travelling in Mexico. I have a few questions in regards to the temporary resident visa that I have not seen answered in my research:

1) Do you need to own property or sign a lease before applying for the temp resident visa? As a a digital nomad, was hoping to travel around Mexico a lot but did not want a permanent residence. What if you get a one month airbnb in CDMX while the visa processes?
2) How many days do I have to physically be in Mexico if I want to do 4 years of the temp visa and then get the permanent residency visa?

Thanks,
kaw753
- @kaw753

You have to show residency which means an address and electric bills or other paperwork indicating an address where you live. You would likely have a contract or lease. Given that you would start with a temp or visitor visa you would be in and out of Mexico under the required time limits of your visa. Meanwhile, you would seek a temp visa.
I traveled in and out of Mexico for two years and then sought a permanent visa from the counselor while in the U.S.
Hi kaw753,

Welcome to expat.com!

I recommend that you go through the Living in Mexico Guide so that you get some information about visas.

Vero
Expat.com team
@kaw753

Hi,

I recently got permanent Mexican residency without having to show a lease (though i had a three month one). As noted by others, you will need to show something to prove where you currently live in Mexico. A utility bill will do, it doesn't have to be in your name. My landlord provided me with a copy of a bill in their name. That was sufficient. You might ask your AirBnB host if they would do the same. As far as I am aware, there is no specific amount of time you must have been at your Mexican address to get residency: in fact, the application, of course, must be started outside of Mexico.

As to your second question, about how long you can stay outside Mexico with your Temporary Residency. The answer is that there are no restrictions on how long you can stay outside unless your card expires while you are outside Mexico. You need to be in Mexico to renew it.

But there is one snag for a nomad: certain changes, such as when you move from one Mexican address to another (or to an address outside the country) should be reported to the immigration authorities (INM) within three months of moving and these reports can only be done in person in Mexico. Every time you move with either temporary or a permanent residency, this must be done. It's a formality, doesn't cost anything but paperwork, but must be done in person. I,too, was moving around a lot in Mexico, and found this could be a pain.

How would they know that you moved more than three months ago unless you tell them? My understanding is that, though it is rare, they might knock on the door of the address you last gave them and if no one there knows who you are, you may be fined or otherwise in trouble.

Another option might be to use the address of someone who is more or less permanently situated in Mexico, doesn't move around a lot, and who you trust to confirm that you call their address your address.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section . Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
The answer is that there are no restrictions on how long you can stay outside unless your card expires [link moderated] while you are outside Mexico.
Hello muneer43a,

Please note that external links should not be posted on the forum unless they are government official websites or related to the topic. 1f603.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
During the process of applying for my Residente Temporal an inmigracion officer visited the address I listed to verify my stated residency. I was present. Even after having my Residente Permanente for six years, an INM visited me to verify my residency. Although someone stated it was necessary to visit in person an INM office to do a residency change, I was under the impression it could be done on line. The inperson requirement may be a new requirement. But, I have had the same address for eleven years. If you have the wherewithal to research the INM website. good luck.