Enter on tourist visa, apply for residence card

Hi guys

I am writing another post as I believe my previous post was not really describing my situation correctly. I do apologise if this has been addressed before in the forums but I can't find it.

I am South African. My wife British.

We are traveling to Germany to live there. I will be on a visitors visa and she will be on her British  passport.

We are going to live with family in Munich till we find our own accommodation.

Can I enter the country at the same time as my wife on a visitors visa and then still apply for a residence card after arrival?

Hi Ewald.
Yes. U can. That approach would sooner or later then lead to somebody in Germany (hosts / ur wife) that have (must) declare themselves willing to bear all consequential cost related 2 ur person that might subsequently come up during ur stay ( medical fees, administration , carry ur expenses during unemployment , legal fees possible / deportation etc.).

Such parties have to proof their ability to carry u financially, by disclosing their salary, investments, means of income to the state. Some might do it initially, but such expectation might affect ur relationship with these people  over an extended time.

Else u can consider the alternative I suggested in ur previous thread - https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=554838

We have sufficient finances to keep us going as I am an offshore engineer and earn in Euros as it is. So don't worry about my relationship with the people we going to be living with. That accommodation is temporary till we find our own.

Just needed to know if that was possible.

Thank you.

In Short if you planning for a long stay, apply for a long stay, they won't allow you to change  your conditions of your visa. You can't change a visit visa to long term visa. Look in the German embassy site. They will give you some insight to what you need, I believe your can apply for spouse reunion visa or work visa or student visa as long term stays.. be very sure you inform yourself, confusion might result having your visa being rejected. Dishonest will also result in your visa being rejected. Have one story and stick to it. Good luck

Been told by the embassy that I can apply for residence permit after arrival. After my wife has employment and we secure a place to stay. Even if I enter on a tourist visa. My short term visa has already been approved. Was never dishonest  obviously