German residence card

Hi

I will be arriving in Germany in April with my British wife. I will enter on a visitors visa but our entetion is to stay.

We will be staying with family at first till we find work. I know that I need to apply for a residence card before 3 months pass.

Can I apply for a German residence card even tho we arrived together? From what I read online it seems that she has to be living there before I arrive?

Ewalds, from you're writing style I deduce that you're not British/European -> hence  other conditions might apply for your wife.

There are a number of well written threads that address some of your questions  already and also provide several further tips . The authors already spent substantial time to neatly compile it all together. Which of these threads have you looked at already?

Sorry for not clarifying that before. I am in fact South African and from European descent. I have looked at a few threads but will then just keep looking.

Sorry about my writing style I was trying to keep it simple as I have noticed a lot of people on here can't speak English.

Hi Ewalds,
Ok, 2 stay in spirit of ur  intent, I'll try 2 use simpler vocabulary then, also.

2  address ur specific question:

1) Yes. U can apply 4 a residence card anytime but there R prerequisites(conditions). C point 3) 4 more info.

2) No. The order of arrival @ the airport/ adminstration offices or place of stay in terms of days/ months is irrelevant - 4 all intends & purposes u r  a separate individual than ur wife.

3) after u applied 4 ur i) visitor visa,  u'll need 2 ii) proof that u have a job / job offer to get iii) a working permit iv) b4 you can apply for a residency card. The  market place is not as elastic as in London so you can estimate ca 6-8 months job search  if ur highly skilled,  4 a competitive offer. (Of course one can get other less attractive offers quite quickly - but one cannot hop like fleas between jobs as is possible London -> on cv's that jolly job jumping behaviour  or obvious gaps is interpreted as weak character compared between the mainland and the british isles. Hence jobbing as a waiter and an expert financial advisor simultaneously, just doesn't gel well in peoples minds like it does in NY (where this is seen as spirit/dynamic). Else u can try to simply  start contracting but then have to compete on paper with  some individuals from  cultures that have no reservation to list their skills as previous CEO of Oracle, du Pont or Microsoft. Hehe. It's quite a mess out there ito that.

So u r better off, 2 secure a job before u enter the country.

Refer general tips on residence  in this thread : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=469551

Some general procedures described legibly/simply here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=508689

Hope all that sarcasm made you feel better.

... what u interpret as sarcasm is simply different cultures having different behaviours and rules.

Take advice from strangers at face value. Being less judgmental can go a long way in adapting in a new environment.

JohannesM wrote:

Hi Ewalds,
Ok, 2 stay in spirit of ur  intent, I'll try 2 use simpler vocabulary then, also.

2  address ur specific question:

@JohannesM

Your help I'm sure is appreciated, however please try to adhere to the Germany Forum Code of Conduct, specifically the point about Language. 

"Make sure to write correctly and clearly on the forum so that everyone can understand: avoid cap locks and SMS language"

Thank you

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Hi johannesM and ewalds >

We are on a friendly website to share information and to help people, so let's avoid arguments please. ;)

Now let's go back to the real subject of the topic.

Thanks

Priscilla  :par:

I apologise for that Priscilla.

I am just not really getting a direct answer on if I can arrive on a tourist visa and then apply for a residence  card. As I am the spouse of an EU citizen.  We have enough money. She will have a job. I don't need one straight away as I have sufficient finances to carry us for a few months.

Our main reason for going to Germany is that we want to have children  and she does not want to have them here in South Africa away from her family.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
I would recommend you contact the Ausländeramt, in the region you will be registered in, each area has different rules, that might be why you are having a problem finding the answer you are looking for.  They are usually very helpful.
I have had the same person handling my file for the last 5 years and never had any problems.
Regards
Michellè

To find a job in Germany you must absolutely speak German to a good level. Except if you work in sciences but for administration or shopping, supermarket, etc... German is mandatory!!!

Danke steffifi

Wow it's been a long time since I have been here.

Wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their help and advice. We have been in Munich for just over a year now. Our paperwork went smooth without any problems.

My wife works for McKinsey and I have been accepted to complete my masters next year. Germany has been good to us and it would have been a lot harder without all the great advice from this forum and it's people.

Much love.

ewalds wrote:

Wow it's been a long time since I have been here.

Wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their help and advice. We have been in Munich for just over a year now. Our paperwork went smooth without any problems.

My wife works for McKinsey and I have been accepted to complete my masters next year. Germany has been good to us and it would have been a lot harder without all the great advice from this forum and it's people.

Much love.

Respect ewalds  :par::cool: