Immigration questions from the US to Ukraine

I know most visas are good for 90 days, what would I need to obtain to move to Ukraine long term or indefinitely?

If you visit the blog part on this forum and find my blog, then you will read about all possible options of getting temporary and permanent residency. To make your life easier here is the direct link to the blog section: https://www.expat.com/en/blog/europe/uk … ogspot.com

To summarize everything, there are only few options applied in most of the cases:
- getting a work permit; This can be done by setting up your own company in Ukraine and being employed by a Ukrainian employer. Here I also must add that if you do not find any real employer willing to hire you for real job, then you can have your Ukrainian friend to hire you merely for official purpose. There are also companies who privide such "services".
- getting married.

haha, not so sure I am wanting to get married anytime soon, I have a retirement, so working isn't needed, but it may be a good way to immerse myself into the community and learn faster, and occupy my time. Where can I find information on documents and required info to ship my motorcycle and maybe my truck? are there vehicle restrictions?

Just recently a new restriction was implemented prohibiting to import cars that do not meet the Euro 5 standard.
One friend of mine also wanted to ship his car from US. But only the shipping cost was USD 2 000. Without residency you will have also to pay 20% VAT, customs duties and other taxes the rate of which depends on the car. As a matter of fact, it is always cheaper to buy a car here than taking it from the US. But every case is unique and requires thorough calculation.
To find an official job won't be easy as hiring a foreigner implies certain liability on the employer. Plus the employer has to prove that there is no Ukrainians able to do this job. At the same time there are plenty options to keep yourself busy by hosting english speaking clubs, giving private language classes, doing different types of volunteering, doing own business etc.

Not so easy. Firstly, I am not sure you need a visa to enter Ukraine. EU Nationals get free entry on arrival.
As for leave of stay, you will need to have a work permit which would be valid for 1 year and renewal thereafter. Alternatively, marry a Ukrainian lady and wait a few years (leaving the Country numerous times in the interim) until you can apply for permanent residency.

Basically, no easy way.

Dear evanault
There are several ways to obtain permanent residency in Ukraine but the best thing to do is to go to the closest immigration office called "OVIR" and ask for more details over there.

After it's all done they should provide you a permit (It's like a small notebook similar to the passport) called "Pozvidka" and you should carry it along with the passport so that when you're traveling they won't disturb or cause a hassle. Make sure that they don't make any mistakes in the "pozvidka" like they did in mine where they messed up the ink on the expiration date and it shows that it's hand written rather than printed of an actual printer.

also, this might help.
http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/message_09122011.html

Simple

Unless you can find an employer that will hire you and get you registered at Zhek and OVIR you are dead in the water.  Starting your own business will require the use of an Advocate (Lawyer) unless you read Ukrainian as all forms are in Ukrainian.  And then it is still very iffy.

Get married.  It takes a Type D Visa which is valid for 45 days.  You will have to register at OVIR and provide an ADDRESS that is real such as a house or apartment and prove you live there which is verified by Zhek.  If you rent your landlord will not help you as that will cause him to pay taxes on the rent he charges you. Though I said 45 days you had better get it started in one or two days because you MUST be within the 45 day window when they issue you your permanent residency permit.  I went through this and it took three years of OVIR bull manure even being married to a Ukrainian.

Good Luck.  To just come here on your own without any support mechanism or family can be dangerous.  Come visit first before you get up and move here.  The people here have given you many good suggestions.  Listen to what they are telling you.  There are no short cuts.  My wife is Ukrainian and I have Ukrainian Residency.  Without her and our family it could have been very difficult.  Also without knowing anyone here or any types of friends, be careful.  People are getting hungry.  To visit is fine, to live here, be wise about it.

I have a question regarding ATM cards, can they be used in Ukrainan banks?

What you call an ATM is called a Bank-O-Mat here.  Yes they work.  I have a debt card.  I do not waste my time with a bank as they want your passport and take their time getting your card cleared and giving you your money.

Using an ATM you get the current Forex rate which is what all banks go by.  I would AVOID anything with Privat Bank. They want about 2% above any fees your home bank will charge.

Hope that helps.  Oh yes there are ATM's all over Kiev.  Most other cities have them to but the less populated ones can be difficult to find an ATM.

"1 member online in Ukraine"--that would be me :-).  I concur with everything sgrigsby says.  I am in Ukraine living on my Social Security, which is direct deposited to my bank card, and while I have had some issues with the bankomats here, in every city in which I have lived, there is always one which works for me.  If you are having trouble finding one, try сбербанк россии, if available...

I think first of all you must ask yourself , whyUkraine ? Yes it is a beautiful country and the woman are beautiful country . But the economy and political problems are not going away any time soon . Unless you know the Russian or Ukrainian , even in the big cities you will be lost . I am not saying not to settle there , but I know from my past , that there is a big difference in visiting a country and actually living there . My girlfriend lives in Berdyansk . She said a couple of months ago a Spanish man that went to Berdyansk to visit a woman was beaten and robed and ended up in the hospital . Many people in the east and southeast support Putin !!  Of course the western part of Ukraine is beautiful !! It's to bad that this country is caught in between a Cold War like Secario !! I would think long and hard about moving there . Bill Kipp

Good words of advice Bill.  Living here and visiting here are different scenarios.  Being a world traveler I thought I knew it all.  But then my wife told me and taught me how to be safe in Ukraine.  Only a local knows the true situation or someone who has lived here for a long time.  If you live here, people in your local community know you, being a stranger, you stick out and everyone knows it.

Living in Eastern Ukraine has been an experience.  Sometimes I miss the States a lot, I look at my family here and smile.  You can find happiness in many places, but true happiness is where you work to make it and keep it happening.