Restrictions on Temporary Residence Permit

Hey folks, anyone know if there is a restriction on how long you can be out of Ukraine before you lose your 1 year temporary resident status?  I know some countries have these limits.

Also, can US citizens with Ukraine residency enter Russia without a visa?  I know things are kind of fluid right now.

Ukrainian visa does not concern Russia so you will need to get a Russian visa.

I have not heard about cancelation of the temporary resident status on such a ground I think it is possible theoretically. Let me explain. There is a list of reasons for cancelation of the TR status but it is not exhaustive and reads "in other cases determined by laws". At the same time a foreigner gets the TR status by his/her place of residence. In case the place of residence changes, the foreigner should notify the migration service and amend his/her temporary residency certificate. A place of residence is the place at which the person lives over 6 months.

Thus I think if you does not live in Ukraine 6 months it could be a reason for cancelatoin of your TR status. But I do not know about such cases.

Thanks for the reply.  So you are saying my TR status is still a visa as far as Ukraine and Russia?  I know my Ukraine wife believes she doesn't need a visa for Russia but she is a citizen.  Of course, then again this is all fluid right now since I believe that Ukraine has now said Russians need a visa and believe they will respond in kind.

Bill

Your wife does not need a visa to visit Russia. However, you do.

Regards visas.  Does any one know what is needed and how long it really takes for Ukranian citizen to apply for and get tourist visa to USA?

Depends on the purpose of your visit, length of requested stay, and type of visa one requests. There are many, very many variables to such a broad open ended question.

Thank you.  OK, let's narrow it down a bit then.  I would like my girlfriend and her 9 year old son to come to the US for a 2 week visit to vacation with me here.  Then they would return to Ukraine.  I would like them to come in October of this year.  But she thinks she will not be able to get a visa this quickly even though it is at least 3 months from now.  What is your opinion about how quickly she would be able to receive her visa with this in mind?  Thanks again.

I deal with a of of people going in and out of Ukraine, both foreigners and locals. Based on the information you gave, I doubt she would receive the visa. What our immigration officials, along with Ukrainian officials, is will she return. First question is have you met her in Ukraine or just through correspondence? Does she own property in Ukraine? How much money does she have in the bank? She would stand a better chance of obtaining a visa to the USA if she left her son behind. Whatever you decide, do not consult one of those Ukrainian companies that claim they can get the visa, they can't. It is just a scam. One other question immediately comes to mind, do both your girlfriend and her son have an international passport? If not, that alone will take at least a month.

Check out our government's web site. There is plenty of good information. I am one who believes in going directly to the source. Check with our Immigrations. Instead of a generic answer, they will be morevspecic as each situation always has extenuating circumstances.

Thank you.  She has no money and does not own property.  Yes I know her personally as I met her in Ukraine 1 year ago.  We spent 3 weeks together.  She only has Ukraine passport.  The reason I want her to come here on vacation is because it is actually cheaper to bring her here and for us to vacation in Florida rather then go to Turkey or Greece.  We went to Crimea last year.  That is not an option this year.  We are at the point where we love each other and this vacation together will be the setting for my proposal.  Of course then the fiancee visa K1 and K2 for her son happen.  I will check with our immigration of course.  But wanted to use this forum to get some one's actual experience and knowledge.

Best thing is to start with a Ukrainian passport that allows her travel abroad. What she has now is the same as our ID card. Start ASAP, because it sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.

I hate to say this, but especially if she is under the age of 45 you are probably not getting a visa.  I am married and still can't get my wife to the states.  They told her that they didn't believe she would come back.  As for the K1, don't do it.  It takes as long to get a K1 visa as it takes to get temporary green card.  If you want to get married, get married in Ukraine and then get temporary green card.  If you are able to work abroad you can get temporary residency in Ukraine fairly quickly after marriage.  I am living in Odessa.  Have you thought about Cyprus?  It is fairly cheap there and she can get a visa online for 30 days.  You can go to Turkey and Egypt fairly easy also.  We just did an all inclusive trip to Egypt for about $600 a piece.

Interesting. Just curious what you consider a long time. The K-1 Visa is usually processed within 6 months. My wife received hers in 5 months.

If you have your paperwork in order you can get a temporary green card in the same time.  I have an attorney working on it who has handled many cases including the Baltic states.  I ask about the K1 also and he said "do you want to get married, then get married there and get her a green card."  Of course with the way America is going, I'd rather just stay here now.  :-)

BTW, you mind me asking what you do in Ukraine for work?  I travel all over this side of the pond consulting.

I am a wine & spirits broker

Cool.  Living in Ukraine?  Wow.  I tried to open a distillery in Texas in 2009 but the economy just wasn't right for fund raising.

What were you going to distill, corn vodka? Take Tito's for example. It is a bit too sweet for my palate. I prefer Polish rye vodka. However, cocktails should use wheat vodka as a base because they blend better. Ciroc, Georgian and California grape vodkas are the current rage. However, I think the vodka gets lost in the mix. No matter, I drink everything neat ... )))

4 vodkas and 2 rums.  Complete evergreen and environmentally sound and we blew up everybody in taste tests including Titos and Grey Goose.  I am from Austin, Texas.  Republic said our rum was the best that had ever tasted.  Glutton free is of course big now and all of ours were glutton free.

Interesting, Texas rum ... Who would have thought? I'm not a rum drinker, but I do prefer dark rums. Your vodka war grain or corn based. Ukraine makes some very interesting flavored vodkas. I deal direct with Nemiroff. However, I feel Lviska makes the best vodka in Ukraine. In the States, the importer markets it under the brand name Perlova. I deal with a Polish distillery that makes boutique vodka for V-One and Snow Leopard. They both use Spelt grain ... Very good vodka.

Actually the vodka is cane based making it great for mixing with juices.

I think you should start a new thread ... LOL! We are no longer discussing the original topic. Cane based? The vodka I have tried with this base was from Australia. It was just not my palate. I hope you can hit a home run with you plan of cane vodka.

The best vodka comes from Mongolia but it is not available outside the country

I think the best is according to one's palate, no more, no less. I am a sommelier and I can't say that I agree with my colleagues when they speak in superlatives. I have had Mongolian vodka. I do not know where you live, but it is available on the international market. Have you tried Kumis? That is fermented mare's milk. (moderated: no free ad here please)

spdmon wrote:

I think you should start a new thread ... LOL! We are no longer discussing the original topic. Cane based? The vodka I have tried with this base was from Australia. It was just not my palate. I hope you can hit a home run with you plan of cane vodka.

Hi spdmon,

You are right here. ;)

@ spdmon and WVolpe3 > I think that you should create a new thread to discuss about wine / vodka etc please, let's keep the thread Restrictions on Temporary Residence Permit the most constructive as possible so that it can serve as a reference for the other members who are looking for these information as well.

Thank you  :top:

Priscilla

Hi,

there are no restrictions on the time of being out of Ukraine if you have temporary residence permit. You may come in and out Ukraine unlimited number of times till the temporary residence permit expires.

You will need visa to Russia.

Hello,
I am Pakistani, i am interesting in getting residence permit of Ukraine, cruntelly lived in spain. Can any one please tell me how can i will get resident permit of Ukraine.

Thanks

Hello.  I just now was reading your interesting advice and am interested to know more about Cyprus as you mentioned.  Can you give me a more detailed explanation please?  Such as how it would work?  Can my fiance go to Cyprus (or other country for that matter) and then somehow travel legally to the US as a tourist?  Is this what you were meaning?  Thank you.

WVolpe3
13 June 2014 03:42:35

Hello again.  It has been 6 years and I am following up on your advice.  A few things have occurred where my fiance and I are not yet married but still want to be.  I find it very interesting that even though you were married you could not get your wife a visa.  Has that changed?  At this time we are planning to marry in Ukraine.  I need to be able to travel back and forth to my  new home in Florida where I have work to do on investment property.  We still also want to have her and her son to be able to be free to travel to be with me here in the US.  I know that she is free to travel to nations such as Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica but just so difficult to come here.  I was asking you about your reference to Cyprus in my most recent reply.  I appreciate any advice that may help us.  Thank you.