Ukraine Type D visa for UK citizens costs £890 ($1500)!!!

I thought I would get a Type D visa whilst we wait for my wife's UK entry papers to get sorted out, well I did get a shock at the cost, the Ukraine London visa office had to double check as they couldn't believe it either..... £890!!! Some $1500. I think it's the worlds most expensive visa.

Only possible reason for this extreme high cost is to dissuade the millions of Britain's seeking permanent residency in Ukraine!!!!  Your thoughts please.

You are wrong. I am from the USA and to reside in the States costs more. If you think $1500 is outrageous, you would be appalled by the charge for US citizenship. The sad part is this happens with most countries. They make a lot of money off visas and residency permits. There are also other  options where one can stay legally stay in Ukraine for less than 1/3 the price you were quoted. This is why when dealing with legal issues, it is always worth seeking legal council. What is unwise is to ask friends and fellow bloggers ... Luck to you

My friend you are wrong on both counts, this isn't me asking fellow bloggers but the Ukraine embassy in London, you are also wrong about the cost of Ukraine Type D visa for US citizens its $230

You misunderstood. I was saying that it is expensive for foreigners who want to reside in the USA. First there is the visa, of which we have several types. The change of residency status is $1500+. US citizenship is $5,000. This misunderstanding is why you should seek legal council. All I can attest to is my own experience, no more ... no less. You are correct on the fee for us Americans. Like I said, there are other legal ways to stay other than a Type D Visa. Then again, I am not a representative of the Ukrainian government, from what I can surmise by your remarks, Ukraine and the UK do not have good relations. For what its worth, in Belarus, the government hates my country .... ))))

Sorry I misunderstood you. I guess it's all down to politics, as the atmostphere gets better I hope the cost of this visa drops. I think Ukraine Type D for Schengen countries is around €60.

Good to see a more up to date post on Visa's.If you are married to a Ukrainian then doesn't the situation change in regard to rights and such?? Surely it must be easier to obtain a visa if you're settled.??
I ask because my intention is to marry my intended and inflict my teaching skills on the nation whilst enjoying the outdoor tree hugging good life.Visa information is often out of date and confusing to say the least(Ukraine).I suspect that if you know a man who can and provide the incentive(ahem)you can get most visas at a more reasonable rate.
I was unaware we had upset the Ukrainians,I have a lot of friends in Ukraine and they are always happy to see me.What has our government been up to now??

Let me begin by first saying that you can visit Ukraine and stay legally for 3 months without a visa. If for some reason the paperwork takes longer, you simply go to Ukrainian Immigrations, before the 90 days are up. Explain that you are awaiting your wife's documents to be processed. They will stamp your passport to reflect as such and you won't have any problems. It took only 3 wks for my wife's paperwork to be done. If you are married to a Ukrainian woman, you simply need to apply for a residency permit. It is good for 2 years. If memory serves, the form is $84. There are translation and notary fees, but that should not exceed much more than an additional $100. Unfortunately, you cannot legally work in Ukraine for the 2 years. This is one reason I always suggest legal council. As in any country, there are always extenuating circumstances. As for the laws always changing, you are absolutely correct. This is because Ukraine is trying to become part of the EU and they are in the process of coming to agreements that placate both sides. In fact some laws are scheduled to be changed anytime between September 20 and the next 3 months. As for joking that Ukraine favoring the USA over the UK, that was "irony," my friend. You Brits always say we Yanks do not understand irony ... got ya' ... LOL! On a serious note, good luck and I hope your paperwork is processed without delay ... Cheers

I am a Brit married and living in the Ukraine.

The reason why the cost is so high is because the UK charge this price for a Ukraine citizen to go to the UK, that's the only reason.

How ever, if you do what I did it will not cost this much.

1. Go to the Ukraine Embassy in Turkey with all your papers completed and your pictures.
2. The Embassy opens at 09.15hrs.
3. Check I there if all your papers are OK you will need to go to the HSBC bank and pay $170 this is for a D type visa.
4. Go back to the Embassy (the bank should take you no more than about an hour)give them the papers from the bank and ask when the visa will be ready, if they say a few days tell them you need to get back to the Ukraine ASAP, they did mine in 1 hour that day and I collected it.
5. Go back to the Ukraine and register with your local passport office, they will ask you to complete a few forms and pay some small payments total about 1,000 Grivna.
6. You will be mucked about but just take a big breath and do what they say.
7. It can take up to the 45 days your visa is issued for but you go back and they will extend it.
8. We had to go to our immigrations office in Donetsk to take all the papers once ready, then go back about a week later for the passport type book you get when they issue you the residency which will be for one year max.

We did all the hospitals to register, and the notaries but in the end they didn't want the medicals.

I had medical insurance from the UK for world ide travel, but they did not except this and I had to pay 500 grivna for Ukraine medical insurance which aint worth a light.

But in the end I got my 1 year residency to stay with my wife, they also told me that with it and my passport I can come and go from the Ukraine.

A friend of mine knew a person in another office he paid 5,000 Grivna and they did it all in three days, but it depends on who you know.

Hope this helps.

Trev

Thank you both for this,good to hear that Ukraine is heading for the EU.She needs it and if it works as well as it did for Poland there are good times ahead.
SPD, no dig at Americans,Trev answered the question in that we charge so much to Ukrainians for entry into our beloved Isle.Tit for Tat and all that.Not working for two years will not be possible I am hard working brit and would go completely barking mad.(So would my partner).Still there are rules and there are Ukrainian rules.

Thanks chaps.

Hi Devilinablackcoat,  sadly it's difficult finding a man in an overseas Embassy who "can provide with incentive..."  I have been told by our local passport tables office that the process for Type D could take as much as 3 months to complete but interestingly enough he gave me a telephone number of a lawyer and I contacted the Lawyer and he quoted maximum 3 to 5 working days but at a cost!! So once you have your type D from overseas...there is always a man who can in Ukraine!

Trevor53.
I am very interested in your post, so you managed to get it very much cheaper going to the Ukraine embassy in Turkey. When did you get your Type D visa.

If money is not an issue, you can work as a volunteer. To the best of my knowledge, there is no law against that. I have met many people who teach English through churches and private schools, to name a few.  Just to be clear, in the USA, if one is not issued a work permit, you cannot work for 3 years. The thing that agitates me is when foreigners want to live here, and they run into a law they don't like; they more often than not say outlandish things against Ukraine. I get the point, so then why do you want to stay here? I feel the Western countries, my own probably being the most critical, should just look at things in their proper context. I am speaking in general terms and not criticizing either of you. I also agree that Ukraine is about to embark down an exciting path. I only hope it is equally as prosperous and beneficial.

I want to stay in Ukraine because it has all the things denied in the UK.The land,sea,river and outdoor life.All of which come with a price tag in the UK that only the extremely lucky or wealthy can achieve.It helps obviously to have fallen for a local(not internet hotty).Whose native experience of Ukraine law is reflected in my comment.I am not coming to the Ukraine in a longship convinced of my greatness.Those days are over.
Can you not work if your employer is involved in the visa process?

Yes, an employer can sponsor you. You must have a skill that a Ukrainian does not possess. There are many foreign companies in Ukraine, so that is also a viable option. I am fortunate that I am a wine and spirits buyer and I work with governments throughout Europe. Obviously, the Ukrainian government is interested in me promoting their vodkas to foreign potential buyers. Prior to Ukraine, I was headquartered in the Republic of Georgia. One of my specialties is Georgian wine, and I speak Georgian. After the war with Russia, I moved my headquarters to Poland, until I met my wife and now spend the majority of my time in Ukraine. In the UK, there are many schools that certify Brits to become English teachers abroad. Beware of what these schools offer. Contrary to what these establishments promise, English language schools in Ukraine are not going to sponsor your visa. As with most countries, it always boils down to taxes. On the practical end, how can one teach English if they do not speak Ukrainian, or at least Russian? Most schools will hire native speakers to teach their English Clubs, but they seldom give enough weekly hours that you could make a living. Like I have been saying, there are many options open to you, just keep looking ... Gaumarjos! (cheers in Georgian)

SPD,You are indeed fortunate,the georgian wine is amazing as are the bottle sizes,the red is my favourite.Thanks for the heads up.For me it's going to be loosely tethered to language schools but mainly private work.I am learning Russian slowly but that will accelerate rapidly when on scene.ESL is taught in a 100% english language way in fact we are advised to not speak the local lingo during class ! My girlfriend said the same until recently , I have been teaching her son via skype and he's now king of the hill.Language is a barrier for sure I have been going to Ukraine regularly for 9months and without my local guides/translators it would have been extremely difficult to do anything.I'm getting better and don't come from the shout and they'll understand school (unlike my girlfriends grandma!!)currently pretty good at one word interjections and general pleasantries.

I went about July, went from Donetsk to Istanbul, got hotel round the corner on Booking.com, went to the Embassy about 15 min walk from hotel.  Gave all my papers and was told to go to HSBC bank in town paid $170 and got my visa.  The Embassy opens at 9.15am and not at time stated on the web site.

Hope it helps.

I think it is great that you are studying Russian. I speak both Ukrainian and Russian. Frankly, I would focus on Ukrainian. In the long run, it will be more to your benefit. Russian is being phased out. Most TV shows and films in the theaters are now broadcast in Ukrainian. Obviously, it is the language of the government and of course, the schools. With the exception of Odessa and pockets throughout eastern Ukraine, people are accepting that Russian is out ... )))

Thanks for your response, I think I will go via the same route as yourself. I was told by the UK embassy that I needed my passport (didn't ask copy with apostille), original Ukraine marriage certificate plus copy, copy of the first 5 pages my wife's local Ukraine passport showing marriage stamp, her address and 45 days insurance cover whilst in Ukraine. They didn't require a letter of invitation as has been mentioned previously.

Did the Istanbul office require documents other then I have mentioned?

Thanks

Application form and 2 pictures (any part you are not sure of leave blank blag it with the guy).

UK passport translated and copied with apostle stamp or notarised in the Ukraine.

If you have a Ukraine marriage cirt a copy.

My marriage cirt was in Arabic as we married in Dubai, but it was notarised in the Ukraine.

I took out Stay Sure world wide medical cover, that will need translating but they didn't ask for it.

Once they issue you your visa before you leave the counter check to see it does say Type D most important.  Then from the moment you have the visa you have 45 days to get your residency so don't delay.

Get back to the Ukraine as fast as you can and start the process, it will take 45+ days but they will extend your visa if you run out of time but only if they have started the process.  Expect to pay abut 1,000 Grivna in other charges at the passport table of your town and don't get up set with them when they mess you about (and they will).

Trev

Thanks Trevor for your all information, I will definately go to Istanbul saving myself a hefty sum. Surprising that other Ukraine embassies dont apply the same cost as London!!

By the way...married in Dubai! fantastic, were you working there? I am a regular visitor to Dubai and Abu Dhabi, as my son is a pilot with Etihad.

Thanks once again,
Bill

If you know Ukraine, you will know that they change things at the last minute, my friend and I did it this way and that's what we were charged, no promises but I would also have the means to pay what they say just in case, I did.

Trev