Maybe, just maybe...

Hello all,

Greetings from a dark, foggy, cold, Surrey England.

On hearing that my chances of marrying Kate Middleton are now officially over, I've decided to try and start a new life somewhere else :D

I'm applying for a job in Grand Bay at the moment but I wanted to ask a few questions if that's ok?

Can my wife to be get a job here too if I get a 3 year work permit thingy?

I would potentially be paid in US dollars. Is this a good thing?

Is there anything major that I should consider about moving to Mauritius?

:o

Strawb wrote:

Hello all,

On hearing that my chances of marrying Kate Middleton are now officially over, I've decided to try and start a new life somewhere else :D

I'm applying for a job in Grand Bay at the moment but I wanted to ask a few questions if that's ok?

Can my wife to be get a job here too if I get a 3 year work permit thingy?

:o

Didn't know that polygamy is permissible in old Albion :P

Assuming that you are coming here under an Occupational Permit in the professional Category , the spouse and dependents of an ‘Occupation Permit' holder are eligible to apply for a “Residence Permit”. In principle , they can also work in Mauritius if they satisfy the eligibility criteria for obtaining an ‘Occupation Permit'.

Those who do not satisfy the OP criteria, but wish to work in Mauritius, must apply for a ‘Work Permit' from the Ministry of Labour, Industrial Relations and Employment and a separate ‘Residence Permit' from the Passport & Immigration Office. The application is made by the
employer and processing time is at least three weeks. 

I believe that initially ( if she can't get a job before she lands) she will accompany you as a dependent and she will have to change that status once she can find an employer willing to hire her and to do the paper work ( feasible but NOT a given)

Thanks External that makes sense! Whether she would WANT to work is another issue too I guess :D

Strawb wrote:

Thanks External that makes sense! Whether she would WANT to work is another issue too I guess :D

Depends on how much dough you are bringing home :whistle:

depends if I get the Job. Fingers crossed :)

Hi Strawb,

If you are not married to her when you come then she will only be allowed to apply for a 6 month residency permit that will need to be renewed again and again upon expiry.  She won't be able to work under the residency permit and there is no guarantee that the permit will automatically be renewed every 6 months over the course of your 3 year occupation permit.

If the two of you are married, then there should be no problem about her coming in the country and staying as long as your occupation permit is valid.  If she wants to work, she'll have to find an employer who will sponsor her occupation permit and meet the minimum requirements for it to be issued.

If she does find an employer willing to do that and it meets all the criteria as a "professional", the occupation permit can be issued in as little as three days once all the required paper work has been submitted.  It does not take three weeks as stated by External unless the paper work is not in order then it can take as long as it takes for her to submit the correct documentation.

She could also work in the country as a "self employed" person or start her own company and be able to work in Mauritius as an "investor" and in both cases not rely on someone else to sponsor her.

So to recap, there are three "legal" ways she can work in Mauritius and receive an occupation permit:

1. professional - hired by a company in Mauritius
2. self employed - basically, she is her own company
3. investor - start her own business

Each category has different criteria (salary, initial investment, business plan, annual revenue, etc) that needs to be met to be granted the occupation permit and to remain eligible.

You should visit the Board of Investment website (http://www.investmauritius.com/) to learn the exact details.  Do not hesitate to contact them with questions as they are usually very helpful.

Good luck!!!

Thank you everybody for your help. We are getting married in May and I'm just trying to work out if we can afford to make the move work. I think we can, so I just have to hope now!

bunkoma wrote:

If she does find an employer willing to do that and it meets all the criteria as a "professional", the occupation permit can be issued in as little as three days once all the required paper work has been submitted.  It does not take three weeks as stated by External unless the paper work is not in order then it can take as long as it takes for her to submit the correct documentation.

Good luck!!!

I said Work Permit ( if she can't be hired under the OP-Proessional category)  and not OP for the 3 weeks' paperwork approval  waiting time and assuming that an employer will hire her as such and go through the motion of explaining why he/she is hiring a non-citizen under a work permit to the Ministry.

hi guys,

Just to let you know, the work permit can take upto 6 weeks. I know of a couple of cases who had jobs, but had to wait for over 6 weeks for the permit, before they could come over start work here.

thanks all :D I think at least if there is a possibility of her getting work that would be fine. What is Grand Bay like? I know it's touristy.

I might hopefully get a telephone interview soon. Any tips on local knowledge that I could use to impress them? :D:D:D