Buying a car and driving it home

Hi all,
I've recently relocated to the north of Norway and I've seen a motorhome further south in Stavanger I quite like. If I was to wanting to drive it home, how does the insurance work? Back in the UK you can buy temporary insurance and drive away but how does it work in Norway? Any help would be much appreciated.

We recently bought a used Volvo from a dealer but they let us drive it home on their plates and insurance till we got home. This is a private sale from Finn.no so I don't know how it works. I'd have to fly down to have a look first but I don't want to sort out insurance first incase it's not good.
Matt

You can try to convince the seller to keep his insurance valid for a couple of days so you can bring back the vehicle but this is unlikely as he will take a risk with his premium in case something happen.

Otherwise you call your insurance when you take over the car, give them the details and they can make the new insurance valid 5 minutes after you have reported it. In the link below, in Norwegian though, this is discussed at length.

http://vgd.no/forbruker/bil/tema/156022 … spoersmaal

Right 'auNorDuMonde" !

But for sure better take the second solution... it's simplier .
for example don't forget that in the first solution
* You need to declare / to inform your company, about the the "new driver" ( send a copy of his driver licence) - Because the Cy could refuse for ex. to allow him to drive the car. it may consider  he is not a "good risk" and so ifar, s not susceptible to be covered.
* Or, not covered with full garantee for the car damages - only minimum garantees... -
* Or, (another problem maybe only in france i don't know other laws in Europe) - In case of accident with body injured or more ... covering of the the driver is sometimes not the same.
* Last thing : actually insurance companies normally give automatically the  extend of your garantees to whole europe. Just have a look on your green insurance certificate : the list of covered countries is clearly indicated - when a country is barred / invalid you have no cover - but you can generally ask for a temporary extension - free one generally - (that was the case for Portugal, Turquia, Yougoslavia and eastern-countries before wall fall, for a long time for example. Not the case anymore, I guess to-day).

I don't know if it changed a lot since I quitt this professional environment but I don't think so because insurance laws and rules are not really subject to move a lot , in general.

But I'll add a few precisions about this topic as far as i know - (to be check in each case / country) :

* Generally the delay to be taken in charge by your own insurance is one hour - they call it "transfer of guarantee on a new vehicule" - You can do it by net, fax or a letter with receival process - keep the receipt ! - Don't forget to send full copy of the new car papers ( better more than less !) , your insurance certificate and in case of, copy of  driving licences of the persons who 'll be susceptible to drive it. on the way back.
* Don't forget to precise too (on your mail) if you need to get more garantees , and which one you choose, in case of - if the new vehicle is worthy than the previous one.. for example.
* Remember : What is important is to give your insurance the serial number , not the ID number which will change after. Of course better give them both.

Last point / advice : Keep all the copies of papers ( mail and proof of your post to your cy, old insurance green card for your number registration in your cy, and  "old" papers of your "new" car even if not already at your name + certificate of acquisition ! ) -
All this with you during the trip back in case of control by police...! it's allways a mess among all them
( the papers ! not .. the cops ! well.. might be too ) -
And keep the phone number of your cy to be able to call them at the international center you depend on when abroad ( where translaters could explain the situation to the police, or, in case of accident, and avoid a long immobilisation of your vehicule .. which is never funny wasting time !)

Foster-Ehlé J-Ch wrote:

Right 'auNorDuMonde" !

* You need to declare / to inform your company, about the the "new driver" ( send a copy of his driver licence) - Because the Cy could refuse for ex. to allow him to drive the car. it may consider  he is not a "good risk" and so far, is not susceptible to be covered.
* Or, not covered with full garantee for the car damages - only minimum garantees... -
* Or, (another problem maybe only in france i don't know other laws in Europe) - In case of accident with body injured (and hospital outcomes) or more ... covering of the driver is sometimes not the same.
* Last thing : actually insurance companies normally give automatically the  extend of your garantees to whole europe. Just have a look on your green insurance certificate : the list of covered countries is clearly indicated - when a country is barred / invalid you have no cover - but you can generally ask for a temporary extension - free one generally - (that was the case for Portugal, Turquia, Yougoslavia and eastern-countries before wall fall, for a long time for example. Not the case anymore, I guess to-day).

I don't know if it changed a lot since I quitt this professional environment but I don't think so because insurance laws and rules are not really subject to move a lot , in general.

But I'll add a few precisions about this topic as far as i know - (to be check in each case / country) :

* Generally the delay to be taken in charge by your own insurance is one hour - they call it "transfer of guarantee on a new vehicule" - You can do it by net, fax or a letter with receival process - keep the receipt ! - Don't forget to send full copy of the new car papers ( better more than less !) , your insurance certificate and in case of, copy of  driving licences of the persons who 'll be susceptible to drive it. on the way back.
* Don't forget to precise too (on your mail) if you need to get more garantees , and which one you choose, in case of - if the new vehicle is worthy than the previous one.. for example.
* Remember : What is important is to give your insurance the serial number , not the ID number which will change after. Of course better give them both.

Last point / advice : Keep all the copies of papers ( mail and proof of your post to your cy, old insurance green card for your number registration in your cy, and  "old" papers of your "new" car even if not already at your name + certificate of acquisition ! ) -
All this with you during the trip back in case of control by police...! it's allways a mess among all them
And keep the phone number of your cy to be able to call them at the international center you depend on when abroad ( where translaters could explain the situation to the police, or, in case of accident, and avoid a long immobilisation of your vehicule .. which is never funny wasting time !)

In conclusion : better do it by your company than with the seller one... At least, you are suceptibel to know approximatively the rules and be sure of your covering and rights.

Foster-Ehlé J-Ch wrote:
Foster-Ehlé J-Ch wrote:

Right 'auNorDuMonde" !

* You need to declare / to inform your company, about the the "new driver" ( send a copy of his driver licence) - Because the Cy could refuse for ex. to allow him to drive the car. it may consider  he is not a "good risk" and so far, is not susceptible to be covered.
* Or, (another problem maybe only in france i don't know other laws in Europe) - In case of accident with body injured (and hospital outcomes) or more ... covering of the driver is sometimes not the same.

In conclusion : better do it by your company than with the seller one... At least, you are suceptibel to know approximatively the rules and be sure of your covering and rights.

Last thing : for the points above ( refuse of covering especially) there's something funny : legally they are supposed to refuse and it take effect the day after by a letter with receipt but when you are on your trip it's difficult to "reach" people who are ùmoving ! - so don't be too scary the risk will be covered even if when you arrived they say "no !" - ( for added material garantee on the vehicle, , or permission for a "bad risk" driver to drive the car etc...) -
Funny "trap" of the law which is an advantage of clients I mean ( in france, at least, I don't know for other countries).