Car in Norway.

Hi, has anybody tried this way around using a UK registered car in Norway without having to import it.

I have a Norwegian registered car already here that I will use in winter. In summer I want to bring a UK car over to use, the UK car is nowhere near the cost of the same car here. My family are in the UK and the car is registered in the UK to them, I am insured to drive the car in Europe, can I use the car for the summer here in Norway then send it back to the UK after six months and keep doing this over a few years?

My point is the car isn't registered to me and it won't be in Norway for more than six months in any year.

If you have a permanent residence in Norway or with a work contract over one year (or without end), you cannot drive a foreign registered car. If you are controlled by the Police, they will take the car and to get it back you will have to pay the value of the car in fine. To who belong the car does not matter.

Some do run the risk of course and we hear stories in the expat community of people having their car seized, often being denounced by their neighbors. Also, I am not sure how this will work from an insurance point of view if you are involved in an accident.

Thanks for the reply.

So if I drive a tourists car that is at work for repair it will be confiscated? I've already driven various non Norwegian cars and nobody at work has advised that I can't. I'm a resident in Norway working here but I'm visited by a tourist (my wife) and I'm insured to drive her car I'm not allowed? I can't see there is a blanket ban on Norwegian residents driving non Norwegian registered cars, seems extreme. Is there any official web site that could confirm this? My point is I borrow my wife's car who's not a Norwegian resident, I'm insured to drive it in the EU plus Norway, Switzerland and other non EU but European countries and the car won't be in Norway for more than six months before it goes back to the UK what laws are broken? I would imagine most expats who have had their car seized have been the legal owner of the car and have broken import laws.

I'm just confused now.

I've just looked on toll.no and on a temporary contract up to 2 years I can use the car but need to declare it to customs after this I need to import it or I can use a foreign car for 25 days in a year but if my wife is with me then I don't need permission from customs at all.

Not so confused now.
Thanks.