Hi im new here maybe moving to Al Ain with two small children

hi
my name is lisa im 26 have a little girl Amelia 17 months and little girl Eva 8 weeks and i am engaged to richard 29 we live in wales .
Richard myself and our little girls maybe moving to Al Ain depending on his work.

dont know where to start if we do??
do we have to be married?
cost of living average weekly shop?
how easy to drive out there with children?
things to do mum baby groups etc...?
safe area?
near by shops?
what do we have to wear?
whats the medical like? (worried as eva is only 8 weeks she needs her immunisations)
how hot?

sorry so many questions plus so many more in my head!! lol

any advice or things i should know i would be so grateful
thanks
lisa x

Hi Lisa and welcome to Expat.com ;)
Did you have a chance to check out earlier discussion on the Emirates forum?
It's there that you'll have a general view of all the questions that have been asked be it on Abu Dhabi, Dubai, or Al Ain forums. You might already get a lot of infos there.
There is one particular member who has written a few topics on life in UAE and I thought this one is usefull: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36463
Then there is also the Guide of expat life in UAE to consult for informations.
Personally, I don't know Al Ain (just past through a few times that's all).
What I can tell you is that, yes it's very hot but also very humid in UAE now! it's summer, so...
And as far as I know there are very good hospitals and doctors in UAE (don't know in Al Ain though). A great variety of nationalities amongst doctors.
If you come here with your family, it is most advisable that you get married see the article of Mila_777 referenced above.
So I'll leave to others to give you their 2 cents worth too.
Cheers and good luck in this new venture!
Arlette

If he is a decent and kind man, perhaps this is a good time to legalize the union.  It is illegal to be living as man and wife in the UAE without a valid marriage certificate. 

It may also be important for your medical services and certainly for medical insurance.  With little ones, there are always trips to the doctor, vaccinations, stitches, etc.

The UAE has very good hospitals and doctors. Many are expats because few students in the UAE want to spend the required years to become a physician.  Perhaps this will change.

Good luck in the marriage department and the move.

Hi,

I'm John and will be moving to Al Ain end of August - I'm a psyc nurse and will be working at Al Ai n hospital. I have never been to Al Ain before but I have done my research so might be able to offer some advice. First the climate - right now around 50c it does get cooler - bit like the English Summer but rain is rare. You need high factor sun block and I have had experience of young children while owrking in Egypt - lot sof water - typically 7 ltrs per day for an adult so youcan guess what a child would need and lots of shade - no long periods in the sun for the kids please. Just sensible precautions - wear something on the head irrespective of dress code. I am told Al Ain is very appealing to Europeans - malls, 3 English pubs if youlike that sort of thing - I was todl very ealry on that you can get traditional English fish and chips but why bother when there is so much else to try ! Imunisations - please see your GP before you go - Hep B&C is a must and top up your Tetanus if it has not been done in the past 5 years. Driving  - yes you can and I was advised to gett an International liscence which you can get from any main post office in England.

Hope this helps and see the housing site on this network - the agency is good - run by an American lady and very friendly with sound advice.

Do write and we can all help each other - when do you move - what will your husband be doing for work ?

Keep well,

John

John,

Good advice.  I'll be certain to pack the sun screen. For wee ones it is especially important. 

The link attached is about hepatitis and the different strains.  Are types B and type C those that are prevalent in the Gulf? 

see: http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/hepc/f/hep_faq3.htm

Hi,
Yes you will need to get married if you want to live together. UAE is a great place for familes. I live in Abu Dhabi but have a very good friend who moved to Al Ain last year and loves it. The kids go to the International school and they are busy with swimming, ballet blah blah. Socially for us oldies there are a few pubs, mainy joined to a hotel but still its somewhere to get out. The rugby club is a good place to go even if you dont play rubgy they have a lot on.

Yes its hot. You will need sunscreen and hats ( tho saying that i rarely remember unless I am actully at the pool or beach with the kids) but during the hot months... well its  hot all the time but during the summer months you tend to go from one AC place to another. In the cooler months there is camping etc to be done and the weather is great.

I would check you are up to date with immunisations but dont worry as they have a list here and they are easy to get.Hospitals are fine here, you dont need to share with the camels!!

Driving..... if you cant beat them join them is the motto. Initially its a bit hairy scary but you do get used to it. Get a big car then you will feel safer and not be pushed out the way too much by the locals in their hummers!!

There are mums groups I think. I can ask my mate tho her children are in school now. If you google mums groups in Al Ain you might find something.

Can the company help you find accom? Ask where the house their staff then google it on a map. You want to be close to the centre really.

There is a site which may help you called Dubizzle.com
You could try AbuDhabimums.com too

Hope it helps..... Life is good here... it will never beat Wales or even come near but its good.
Mel