Husband being offered a job in Dubai!!! I need guidance

I work full time and have 3 kids...I'm from Texas and my husband is in the hotel business any texans in Dubai....what can you share?  My kids ages are 14-girl, 6- boy, 20 months, girl.

PLEASE give me any info......thanks- M

There are about 20,000 Americans living in Dubai and I'm sure some of them must be from Texas :-)

You'll get some background info on living here by looking through previous questions here on the forum and also, especially for women, at expatwoman.com

My suggestion would let your husband go first for a year and visit and keep your life as much the same as possible. 

From what little I know from talking to French people who go there for work all the time it is really a different in regards to living situations.  Most europeans who work there just travel back and forth to their families.  I live in France and it seems there is a lot of business between Dubai and France and most people don't bother relocating their families.

I would suggest going to the New York Times, and just putting in Dubai in their search box,  and read the many insightful, often first hand articles about the place.  My concern is that it might cost more to settle you guys there than just stay at home with frequent visits.  Weigh the two options in regards to cost and than see if just staying put is a less expensive option.  Especially if it is a limited work contract.  If the contract is less than three years why bother disrupting your family like that.

If you decide to take your family, send your husband first to get an appartment.   While he is getting situated you can visit with the kids and check it out at your leisure.  Definately don't advise getting off the plane with everyone in tow until your husband sees if he actually likes the job.

Just reflecting what I see europeans doing who work in Dubai.  If you are going to stay for years and years well than yes, settle the family there but not until you are sure about things.

cvnuttee

cvnuttee wrote:

My suggestion would let your husband go first for a year and visit and keep your life as much the same as possible. 

From what little I know from talking to French people who go there for work all the time it is really a different in regards to living situations.  Most europeans who work there just travel back and forth to their families.  I live in France and it seems there is a lot of business between Dubai and France and most people don't bother relocating their families.

I would suggest going to the New York Times, and just putting in Dubai in their search box,  and read the many insightful, often first hand articles about the place.  My concern is that it might cost more to settle you guys there than just stay at home with frequent visits.  Weigh the two options in regards to cost and than see if just staying put is a less expensive option.  Especially if it is a limited work contract.  If the contract is less than three years why bother disrupting your family like that.

If you decide to take your family, send your husband first to get an appartment.   While he is getting situated you can visit with the kids and check it out at your leisure.  Definately don't advise getting off the plane with everyone in tow until your husband sees if he actually likes the job.

Just reflecting what I see europeans doing who work in Dubai.  If you are going to stay for years and years well than yes, settle the family there but not until you are sure about things.

cvnuttee

CVNuttee,

I don't agree with you... why "break up" a family for 2 or 3 years? I personally know how difficult it is to be separated. I have been living in Mauritius for the past two years while hubbie is working in Dubai and I can't wait to join him (will do it by June this year). He came on visit every 15 weeks for 10 days and I went last July for 6 weeks; also nowadays there is Skype and MSN but jee it is difficult.

Also I think for the kids it's a very good experience to know other cultures. There are very good schools in UAE; ok they are expensive but if the work contract is well negociated, the employer will take charge of those costs.

This is my 2 cents worth

Arlette

Oh Dear, of course you need to do whats best for your family.

Europeans take for granted longer absenceses and travel for work than Americans might find acceptable.  That is likely a cultural attitude.

Many European businessmen spend three or four months away on business at a time for work purposes.  I have met people whom have spent their entire working lives this way. 

For me being really practical I would balance the cost of moving against the length of your husbands contract and other factors such as health care and schools etc..

If you feel no matter what the financial cost and the benefits of having your family together it is doable if you have the money why not?

cvnuttee

As I said before my husband is working in Dubai since 2 years now but we have been living overseas sinde 1972. His contracts always included fully furnished accomodation, airfares, medical insurance, school fees, service car, and many companies even pay for the costs of moving personal effects...
In Dubai there are very good doctors and very good hospitals also.

Europeans are used to leaving their home countries for work as it most are from smaller countries than the USA.  I would also be interested if the family has lived overseas before. 

Most education systems for ex-pats are in english or their home country language and their would be little chance of learning arabic by talking to other student as they mostly would be other ex-pat children in such schools.

I don't think bilingual education would be a good reason to uproot a family. 

For a first time businessman working overseas I think taking a very cautious attitude about uprooting a stable family away from support systems would be wise.  As things look more serious the family could decide to spend long holidays or the summer and decide at leisure if they want to move or not.

Even in Paris many ex-pat businessmen maintain their families in the USA.  It's often times less disruptive for the family and often gives the family more choices.

Once the entire family understands the situation its an easier transition and even with financial support from the businessmans company its always not a bad idea not to rush into anything.