Signing up for an iPhone in Latvia

After chatting with my Latvian girlfriend, she mentioned that only one mobile network in Latvia can provide the iPhone (sadly not the network she's on either).

Does anybody know more about the costs involved with getting an iPhone tariff, and anything I might need in order to sign up (proof of address, ID, passport or a Latvian bank account).

Any help or advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
Alex.

Hi Alex,

I remember checking iPhone contract prices for my wife (including a new phone + tariff) and thought the prices were too high at the time. It was a lot cheaper to get an iphone from ebay and add a talk plan on top afterwards.

Scott

Personally if you likely to spend any time outside of Riga, then there is only one network to consider LMT. Tele2 are OK but limited in certain parts of the country and BITE (Vodafone) are relative newcomers and very patchy.. but cheap :)

In the UK, the cost of the phone is mixed in with the tarriff making you think you are getting a cheap phone.. but end up paying more over the contract period..

In LV they separate out the cost of the phone from the tariff plan, so many people buy their own unlocked phone and just pay the monthly tarrif. I presume you can get your Iphone unlocked :)

The LMT website details out many tariff and data options (no English version!) so you can choose what is suitable based on your phone, sms and data needs .. if you cant translate, then visit TRODEKS in Spice.. they speak English and will sort out your LMT needs 10 times faster than any LMT shop! (they are opposite the RIMI checkouts)

LMT do have good 4G coverage (even here in the countryside where I live) .. although check the cost versus 3G.. I get a minimum 2Mb/s on my 3G often 5Mb/s .. not your typical 256K in the UK..

Forgot to say that I can't remember what I needed to sign up to a LMT contract, passport, LV personal code, address.. but its not a problem as OKARTE offer just about all that LMT contracts do but as pay as you go.. (same network :) )

Well I ended up getting a new iPhone - but I got it within a few days of arriving, and managed to convince my girlfriend to sign up for it on my behalf, so I just pay her every month now.