Work for Bulgarians in Malta

HI Everyone,
I am Bulgarian and I want to move to live and work in Malta.Any information especially from Bulgarians living there would be greatly appreciated.

Hi ziten and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Hi ziten,

welcome to the forum.

As far as Bulgarian and Romanian citizens are concerned a work permit is required to work in Malta but there are transitional arrangements in force. These really only mean that the fees are lower (58 €) than for other TCN's (150 €)

Check out this link to Guidelines and application forms:

http://etc.gov.mt/Category/4/28/Employi … onals.aspx

But you will need an employer to apply for your work permit and the better qualified you are the better.

Without knowing your work experience/qualifications and what kind of work you are looking for I can only really comment in general.

And that is that it is difficult to find work in Malta unless you are highly qualified and speak perfect English and preferably several other languages. Don't be fooled by the official low jobless figures. Many work for low wages and have several jobs to make ends meet.

I wish you luck.
Ricky

Harmonie wrote:

Hi ziten and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Thanks Harmonie:) I hope so.

Thank you Ricky! This was helpful information.I also have US citizenship,so i am thinking which way is better, trying to come with US or with Bulgarian passport.Do you know whether they teach in English in public school?

Hi ziten,

Using your US citizenship is probably worse as with the US passport you will always be a third-country national in the future where as with the Bulgarian passport there will be a change in the future.

In both cases at the moment you need to find an employer to apply for a work permit. Good qualifications will help a lot but it can be difficult to find decent work at the moment.

When you come decide before which passport you come on as you will be in trouble if you change passports while here -)))

Having public schools teach Expat children in English can be a difficult task and can be different from school to school. THe only schools you can really rely on to teach in English are the private schools.