Moving to Germany, Learning the language

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some advice from your good selves, I hope you can help :)

I've always had a desire to learn another language, in particular German. I've tried a few times via self tuition and distance learning courses but have found it difficult to juggle work and studies, so I've never quite managed to get things off the ground. :(

However, despite not making much progress so far (I would categorise myself as moderately better than an absolute beginner) I still have an ambition and interest in improving my German skills. So much so that I am toying with the idea of moving, living and hopefully at some point working in Germany.

Obviously, as I don't speak the language I would need to get a better grasp before I can even consider applying for work etc. However, with no real ties (single, no kids, no mortgage etc.) I am all for enrolling in an intensive 6/8 week course at somewhere like the Goethe Institute.

My question therefore is: would I stand any real chance of getting a job (even if it required only a basic grasp of German, if there are such jobs) after an intensive course? Is it a realistic goal or am I just kidding myself that it's attainable?

Also, even if it is realistic, is it the best way to go about it? My ultimate aim and reason why I want to move to Germany and learn the language, is a combination of gaining life experience, widening my horizons and adding to my skills. I'm 24 and ready to take a leap into the unknown, since I have little to lose and whilst I have the freedom to do so. But, if it's not a good idea I'd rather not quit my job and spend a fair amount of money if I then end up moving back home after 2 months.

Any replies would be really appreciated. If you've done a similar thing, or have experiences of any aspect of the above then your views would really help me out. :-)

There are of course people with no German skills living and working in Germany, so it is possible.
If you can find a job that fits your education, skills, experience and wishes is a completely different question. If you are from outside the EU, your chances for an appropriate visa are small.

Apologies, after reading a few other threads I realised posters get quite annoyed when the original poster isn't clear about key details like country of residence, skills etc.

I am a UK citizen. My job is currently in customer service (I've spent most of my working life in this field). My highest qualifications are (good) A Level grades. I have experience in the education technology sector and am currently learning some web development skills, which I hope may lead to a job in this area.

I like your overall reasoning for wanting to move to Germany (gain life experience ect). I currently live in Germany and take intensive courses, you'll be amazed at how far you progress once you are in the Country mingling with the natives. At 24, you could travel over as an Au Pair and this would enable you a place to live, spending money and some families even pay for your language courses. If that isn't the route you want to go you can enroll in a language school and most can set you up with a host family (for a fee of course). Depending on your expertise and line of work would determine what your chances for a job are but you could always get some line of work. I am writing this being unaware of your nationality ect so please check into work visa requirements prior. Good Luck!

Hello Oscillator,
I began work in Köln 11 months ago after looking for a business analyst position for over a year (moved here with family from Florida). I only now have an A1 level of German and progress slowly, but dedication and immersion are great helps that I am only now appreciating.
Anyway, my feeling is that Germans appreciate certifications more that Americans, so I suggest you get real focused, get a cert or two, before applying.
Good luck. Glad to see you want to be part of the EU ;-)