The importance of local language in Cyprus

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in Cyprus.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in Cyprus? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in Cyprus?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Because of my friends I understand the local culture well

to anyone deciding to live here would suggest you make friends within the Cypriot community. Learn to speak with them as they are more than willing to help

it is important that one learns the language.

it is quite important for the day to day services especially the Hospital part of it. Transport I have never used so no comment.

Business- I have always communicated in English as most of my business dealings are with the multinationals.

there goes and hope it has helped

regards

Capt. Charles 

I have only lived here for 40 years, I do not speak Greek or even Cypriot. I find the language very difficult to learn even though the private sector, military and community all have Greek lessons available and I have tried them all, I just cannot learn it, probably as most of the 'locals' speak English. I even joined the Limassol Civil Defence Team and was part of the Fire Fighting Team, and I survived for 12 years with the teams and was also able to set up 2 H&S companies without Greek. I do wish that I could speak the local language though.

it is unfortunate that south Cyprus and Greece continue to use a defunct alphabet instead of the Latin alphabet used by all of Europe, Turkey and an increasing number of 'Stans'.  It does make learning the Greek language additionally difficult. North Cyprus uses Turkish, which converted to the Latin alphabet many years ago and therefore foreigners tend to find learning the language more straightforward. 

English is widely used in south and north Cyprus, but certainly being able to speak, at least a little Greek or Turkish will make life on the Island more comfortable.

Any ex-pats living in North Cyprus can contact me*** 1f60a.svg

Moderated by Cheryl 11 months ago
Reason : Advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct