Visas for Israel

Visas for Israel
Updated 2023-10-23 11:24

Those who want to move to Israel need to first obtain the right visa from the Israeli authorities. Here are the different scenarios.

Visas for immigration to Israel

Student visa

The A2 visa for students is valid for one year, renewable. To obtain it, students must:

  • apply to the consular authorities in your country of origin;
  • a place in an educational institution;
  • proof of sufficient income to support the child (for this, a handwritten letter from the parents attesting that they will provide for all their child's financial needs during the year in Israel);
  • proof of accommodation in Israel for the period of residence in Israel.

Additionally, they will be required to provide two passport-size photos, show proof of airline ticket reservations, and possess a passport that remains valid for at least 18 months from the date of their entry into Israel.

Visas for dependents

For the spouses and children of A2 and B1 visa holders, there is an A4 visa available. This visa permits spouses and children to live in Israel, attend school but doesn't grant permission to work. To secure this visa, you need to submit an application to the consulate in your home country.

Documents required to complete the file:

  • Completed application form;
  • Invitation from spouse or father used to obtain work (or student) visa;
  • Copy of spouse's visa;
  • Proof of medical insurance;
  • Two passport photos;
  • Proof of payment of the 42-euro fee.

The A3 visa is specifically designated for members of the clergy. This type of visa is granted within Israel by the Ministry of the Interior and then sent to the religious authority that initiated the person's invitation.

Residence visa

The A5 visa serves as a residence permit. To acquire this visa, you must be physically present in Israel, provide documentation confirming your place of residence, furnish a letter detailing the purpose of your application, and fulfill other requirements. This visa is meant for individuals who are in the midst of obtaining a permanent resident visa, typically through marriage to an Israeli citizen or due to having refugee status.

Necessary documents:

  • Valid passport;
  • Sworn translation of birth certificate, with mention of family status;
  • An affidavit certified by an Israeli lawyer explaining the reasons for the request;
  • Three recent passport photos;
  • Proof of payment of 190 shekels (approx. 45 euros).

In such situations, it's advisable to seek the assistance of a lawyer, as the process can be intricate.

Visas for sought-after talent

The B1 work visa is issued by the Ministry of the Interior to individuals like artists, athletes, researchers, experts without local counterparts, and workers in fields where Israel faces a shortage of professionals, such as elderly or disabled care, construction, or agriculture.

The documents required to apply for this visa are:

  • an extract from the criminal record, a medical certificate issued by an accredited institution;
  • showing normal test results for tuberculosis, AIDS, and hepatitis;
  • communication of fingerprints.

The responsibility of initiating this request and providing reasoning lies with the prospective employer. They need to explain why the individual for whom the visa is sought is essential to the company and cannot be substituted with an Israeli citizen. The visa is issued for a specific duration, ranging from a few weeks to a year and can be extended upon request.

Voluntary visa

The B4 volunteer visa is given to individuals whose intention to come to Israel is connected to their wish to make a positive impact on Israeli society by volunteering in social, healthcare, religious, or philanthropic organizations and occasionally as a part of the Israeli Defense Army (Tsahal). The respective organization needs to apply for this visa prior to the volunteer's arrival in Israel. The visa typically spans a maximum of 6 months, but it can be extended up to 15 months in certain instances.

Document required to obtain this visa:

  • Application for entry into Israel, in which the host organization specifies the reason and location for volunteering in Israel and declares whether the volunteer has visited the country in the past;
  • The volunteer's passport, valid for at least six months after the volunteer's planned end date;
  • A letter of commitment, in which the host organization promises to ensure that the volunteer will leave the country at the end of the volunteering period in accordance with his/her visa;
  • A medical certificate attesting to the volunteer's good health;
  • A written undertaking from the host organization that it is responsible for the volunteer's health insurance;
  • Criminal record extract from the country of origin;
  • Proof of payment of the application fee (approx. 65 shekels).

Visa for US investors

Starting from 2019, American investors have become eligible for the B5 visa as well. To secure this visa, investors need to showcase a minimum investment of $100,000, which should account for at least half of a company's capital, aiming to contribute to Israel's economy and generate employment opportunities. The initial validity period for this visa is 2 years, and it can be renewed annually thereafter as long as the company continues to operate, with a straightforward request process.

Applications for a B5 visa must be submitted to the Israeli consulate in the country of origin.

Documents to be provided:

  • A police record extract from the country of origin for the entrepreneur and family members.
  • All applicants must have a passport valid for at least one year after the date of issue of the visa.
  • Each family member must present a birth certificate, marriage certificate, or family record book. These documents must be translated into Hebrew by a sworn translator.

From the moment the visa is issued, the holder can enter and leave Israel at will for the duration of the visa.

The law of return

According to the Law of Return, Jewish individuals, descendants of Jews, spouses, or minor children of Jews can seek immigration to Israel as “Oleh Hadash”, meaning new immigrants. However, individuals who oppose the State of Israel or pose a threat to its security are exceptions to this rule. Such individuals can apply for an A1 temporary resident visa.

This visa is intended to enable foreigners of Jewish descent to live in Israel before deciding whether or not to settle there. It serves as a preliminary stage before making Aliyah, which refers to immigrating to Israel. It is initially valid for three years but can be extended for an additional two years upon request. This visa grants the privilege of lawful employment within Israel and becomes eligible for Israeli health insurance after 183 consecutive days of residence. Additionally, it provides benefits such as reduced income tax and VAT on essential items required for settling in the country.

Individuals with Jewish heritage who prefer to skip the interim phase of a temporary resident visa can opt for Israeli citizenship by becoming “olim hadashim”, or new immigrants. To achieve this, they need to fulfill several requirements either before departing from their home country, in collaboration with entities like the Jewish Agency, the Israeli consulate, or organizations like Nefesh Be'nefesh, or they can undertake the necessary steps after arriving in Israel with the assistance of the Israeli Ministry of the Interior.

This status provides various benefits and support for integration, such as covering the cost of airfare to Israel, funding an approved intensive Hebrew course (Ulpan), a modest monthly allowance for the initial six months of stay, tax reductions, scholarships, and additional assistance. To attain this status, individuals can connect with the Jewish Agency in their home country or the Ministry of Immigrant Absorption in Israel. These agencies assess eligibility and offer guidance and advice across employment, education, and housing.

Further information:

Jewish Agency in France:

Jewish Agency contacts in French-speaking European countries:

French Embassy in Israel:

To contact the Israeli consulates in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Quebec, please make an appointment at the following addresses.


Marseille: [email protected]

Strasbourg: [email protected]

Brussels: [email protected]

Geneva: [email protected]


Locate Israeli consular missions worldwide and find their opening hours:

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.