Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Absolutely Anything Else

Update:


Stomach bug is back big time.  Apparently this is the usual with these types of infections.  It will take until next week at the earliest. I really thought I was getting better.   I've got reports this bug is everywhere.


I will have to spend more time sleeping and letting my body fight back.  It's like I was kicked in the stomach by a horse. 


I can only eat toast.  Anything more is just painful.


Daughter has the same but she's bouncing back more obviously as she's 45 years younger than me.


Nothing we can do.  Just has to get better on its own.

1 member reacted to this post
Update:Stomach bug is back big time. Apparently this is the usual with these types of infections. It will take until next week at the earliest. I really thought I was getting better. I've got reports this bug is everywhere. I will have to spend more time sleeping and letting my body fight back. It's like I was kicked in the stomach by a horse. I can only eat toast. Anything more is just painful.Daughter has the same but she's bouncing back more obviously as she's 45 years younger than me. Nothing we can do. Just has to get better on its own. - @fluffy2560


So sorry. I did not know a bug was in town.

Try some broth and green tea, water with lemon whatever you can keep down; Crackers; If possible try toast with fresh garlic and a bit of salt. Bad breath but good for the gut.

I could not eat for months but did sip on chicken soup, bananas , rice plain or with soy sauce, plain noodles with butter and salt.

Could not eat more then a few bites at a time but have to keep the salt intake and fluids.

Too bad, you missed a lovely day, we put on our swimsuits and headed to the city park for some rays, need more vitamin D as my recent blood work showed it is just barely enough.

That treatment I had 5 years ago is doing a number on my blood work.

I am so over the doctors here, went last week because hubby is about to get an MRI test;

I asked questions , he can not get one because of the metal in his arm from 50 some years ago; I hope the urologist gives him a CT at least. Find out next week;

My doc gave me some script for Meloxep for arthritis pain; Not going to take it after seeing my blood results, why make my blood thiner? They only treat one area of the body at a time and never look at the whole picture. Have to do your own research.

Feel better, God I know I defo do not need a stomach bug at all!

1 member reacted to this post
So sorry. I did not know a bug was in town.Try some broth and green tea, water with lemon whatever you can keep down; Crackers; If possible try toast with fresh garlic and a bit of salt. Bad breath but good for the gut.I could not eat for months but did sip on chicken soup, bananas , rice plain or with soy sauce, plain noodles with butter and salt.Could not eat more then a few bites at a time but have to keep the salt intake and fluids.Too bad, you missed a lovely day, we put on our swimsuits and headed to the city park for some rays, need more vitamin D as my recent blood work showed it is just barely enough. That treatment I had 5 years ago is doing a number on my blood work.I am so over the doctors here, went last week because hubby is about to get an MRI test;I asked questions , he can not get one because of the metal in his arm from 50 some years ago; I hope the urologist gives him a CT at least. Find out next week;My doc gave me some script for Meloxep for arthritis pain; Not going to take it after seeing my blood results, why make my blood thiner? They only treat one area of the body at a time and never look at the whole picture. Have to do your own research.Feel better, God I know I defo do not need a stomach bug at all! - @Marilyn Tassy

It's Sunday and it's close to day 6 of whatever this gastroenteritis is.  I had so many plans and it's only today I felt I could get on with some jobs outside while the weather is good.   


Essentially today was more painting of the legendary Balaton bench.  I wasn't up to making the best ever job of it.  It'll last another 50 years before someone else gets to fix it.  No-one cares but I thought it would be a quick job.   The thick back rest wood really needs replacing  - rotten.  Wood is expensive so not doing that and now it's bodged by thick paint. I already had the paint ready so there's nothing I needed from the shops to finish it apart from some large washers.   


We get the health alerts through the wider HU family which as doctors in it and particularly school teachers where a lot of these things seem to fester.  Kids in close contact are all spreading diseases to each other.  God help those kids in school who are not vaccinated (not that that's possible here in HU - no vaccinations, no school).  We always keep our vaccinations up to date but no vaccinations about random viruses (there is one for Cholera/E-Coli but marginally effective - very difficult to get here in HU).


I was told Ginger Tea to settle the pipes but we don't have any tea like that.   We've got some "Eastern European" medicine called No-Spa which is intended to stop stomach and other spasms.  I've had some of that and it seems to be helpful.


MRI is a good thing but in the body metal is a no-no.  There are alternatives.  Anyway MRI is very boring.  One lies there while it clicks away. When my back was MRI'd it took a good 45m.  It was very noisy so I could not even nod off.

1 member reacted to this post

I make ginger tea out of fresh ginger root.

My son,s old Chinese GF used to pick up bags of Flower tea from a Chinese shop in Vegas whenever we felt ill.

She also made ginger tea from fresh root;

I peel it and chop into thin slices, boil it for just a few mins and let it set for awhile.

Cloves tea is good too. Fresh cloves boiled and let sit to brew. I sometimes even grind the cloves and strain.

I drank ginger tea all the time while in treatment, my stomach was messed up really badly. Seems it still is after doing my research;

I tell the

doctors about it but they only brush me off or tell me to see some other spealist.

My enzymes are messed up. Tried for years now to eat sourkraut,keifer,probiotic pills. Nothing really helps much.

ATM; I am seeing a ENT doctor, he gave me a anti fungal med to take for 2 weeks, has not helped, the messed up gut has caused a sore tounge and cracked lip; Lip is better but sometimes I can scream how my tounge hurts; Looks fine but is painful.

Cancer may be gone but never forgotten!

Side effects last forever.

I think I got the family doc upset with me last week.

I told her I want a bone density test and asked if I shoud think about hormons since I do not wish to break a bone sometime.

She said see the gyno doc, my big mouth said no way! Last time I went in they gave me a bacterial infection, did 3 physical exams within a month and did not give me med for the infection they gave me for a month! I was even sent to a surgeon, that is a mystery both he and I never could figure out!

What, just cut it out??

Then I mentioned my knee surgery here which left me on crutches for over a year then a cane until I had PT in the US. She even admitted it was strange to get PT in Hungary before surgery and not afterwards. That is what was done.

I know we can not live forever but when the doctors want or seem to be against you it is scary.

I have picked up no less then 4 infections just from the sloppy doctors here. One in my tooth, one in my shoulder,one in my gut due to the tooth infection and pills given that caused stomach infection, and the personal lady infection.

Guess it could happen anywhere but honestly I am afraid here, no insentive for them to care.

As the saying goes money talks a s@@t walks, on crutches!

What gets me is doctors do not really look at test results or put two and two together.

I had a hematoma pop up on my lower back about a month ago; Just woke up with a lump . Saw the surgeon afteer the GP sent me over; I told him I had radiation . He said it was a broken blood vessel and if it got worst they would cut it out. They like cutting here.

I did my own research, happens allot post treament for cancer because the rads make the blood vessles thin and they never recover.

Would be nice if they actually explained why these things happen and to expect them to happen.

So GP gives me pills for minor arthrits pain that cause internal bleeding; just what I need!She did not even bother to give a med to protect the stomach lining while taking the other pills.

If you call them out, they get insulted.

What gets me is doctors do not really look at test results or put two and two together.
I had a hematoma pop up on my lower back about a month ago; Just woke up with a lump . Saw the surgeon afteer the GP sent me over; I told him I had radiation . He said it was a broken blood vessel and if it got worst they would cut it out. They like cutting here.
I did my own research, happens allot post treament for cancer because the rads make the blood vessles thin and they never recover.
Would be nice if they actually explained why these things happen and to expect them to happen.
So GP gives me pills for minor arthrits pain that cause internal bleeding; just what I need!She did not even bother to give a med to protect the stomach lining while taking the other pills.
If you call them out, they get insulted. - @Marilyn Tassy

Yes, the do get insulted if you ask too many questions and talk as equals rather than showing deference.  I caught out the GP telling me BS and she had to phone someone. I personally think they need to be challenged.  And I think they are making it up a lot of the time.  I am not sure if it's malicious, laziness or plain stupidity.


Meanwhile, our son now has the dreaded lurgy like me and our daughter.  Mrs F is the only one who is OK right now.  We're all continuing to suffer with the same symptoms. 


Mrs F called the Doc for our son and she said, don't bother coming in, everyone has it and nature has to just take its course.  Just drink plenty of fluids, take vitamin B6 and maybe some replacement bacteria capsules like Enterol.  Eating is difficult - just results in discomfort.  Mrs F is making tomato soup.   We had pumpkin/squash soup before and it was very nice.


We tried to call the Immigration Office this morning and no answer on either HU or EN help lines.  Even their web site doesn't work - no password and my e-mail is already registered.  I just means people will have to go there to get an answer.  That's ludicrous - exactly what they don't want.  We could be in the physical queue for hours.    There's a simple form I've found but there's no information if that's the form that's needed.   As it's Brexit renewal, I need to provide very little information - no healthcare proof, no salary, no need for justification of my life in HU.  Couldn't be simpler.


We've just received a nasty letter from the water company saying our sewer connection is "illegal".  This makes no sense whatsoever.   The house dates from the 1970s and was rebuilt by us around 2015. No-one said anything except just now - nothing changed except Budapest water took over the services from the local government in 2021 and our the pipes were repaired in about 2020.   


They even said they could insist we have our garden/driveway dug up so they can inspect it - like wtf?  If they really want to look in it, just get an inspection camera.  How retarded!    We think it's a cash grab.  Mrs F is furious. 


And to make it worse,  I've got to get back to real work instead of messing about with nonsense day to day.   

1 member reacted to this post

Gosh that is all frustrating news;

Yes, my husbqnd thinks there is a cash grab since OV took off with what he could. His way of mucking up the new PM, no money to do anything;.

When my husband was getting his replacement license, the women said it was free due to him being over 70 or 75. Then she charged him!

WTH?? Not much but hubby said cash grab.

The water co; did piss him off too a few months ago; I put it out of my mind but we went into their office and they do not show a detailed bill.

Something like that, half the time they turned off the lights and we sat in the dark;

Same thing the other day at the GP,s office. They let us in but we sat in the dark for over 30mins until the doc showed up.

Immigration did the same thing to me; Online did not work, they kept saying they already had my e_mail and would not let me get the passcode to fill out the info etc; Do not go into the immigration office on the Buda side, go to the one in Pest. Busy but they seem to take walk ins, the other place kept pushing for the internet and no one was helpful there.

Once the phone line worked, a lady was nice and said use the internet!

Had to go in person;

TIP, You are  ELDERLY so bring your cane and either go up to the secuitry guard and tell him you need assistance.  Your health does not allow you to wait.Hopefully they will give you a express number to wait.

They put you towards the front of the waiting line, maybe a handful of people in front of you number instead of 100.

99 percent of those waiting have time, in their 20,s.


Sorry the tummy issues are still flaring up; I know how that is, was so busy that I had to cancel radiation due to doctors orders for 2 weeks back during treatment.Even picked up a pack of adult nappies just in case!! It was a nightmare, 10 or more trips a day without even eating.

Gross!


Every penny saved is a penny earned, weird to sit in the dark.

1 member reacted to this post

The office to go to is the one on Szegedi ut; 37.  Around 9 or 9:30 is OK.

Super busy when they first open up.

Everyone I happened to chat with, 3 people 3 different times all had lawyers and a set appointment time;Did not see a lawyer with them but it must of been pre arranged. No problem to walk in though.

Worst is just asking in person for an appointment, they will give you a number to wait, tell them you are over 65 or so and tell them you have some health issues so an appointment is bettr unless they can get to you fast.

As the old saying goes, age before beauty. Although I think old people are beautiful in their own way!


The bald security guard is not that helpful put the others are, if you get lucky there is a middle aged women who is very helpful, the young guy working the otheer desk is OK but he does not give out faster tickets as easily as the older lady does.

Be sure to bring all your documents they ask for with you to save time, they will give you a form to fill out while you wait to be called the first visit. Might take 15 or 20 mins to fill out.

1 member reacted to this post
Gosh that is all frustrating news;Yes, my husbqnd thinks there is a cash grab since OV took off with what he could. His way of mucking up the new PM, no money to do anything;.When my husband was getting his replacement license, the women said it was free due to him being over 70 or 75. Then she charged him!WTH?? Not much but hubby said cash grab.The water co; did piss him off too a few months ago; I put it out of my mind but we went into their office and they do not show a detailed bill.Something like that, half the time they turned off the lights and we sat in the dark;Same thing the other day at the GP,s office. They let us in but we sat in the dark for over 30mins until the doc showed up.Immigration did the same thing to me; Online did not work, they kept saying they already had my e_mail and would not let me get the passcode to fill out the info etc; Do not go into the immigration office on the Buda side, go to the one in Pest. Busy but they seem to take walk ins, the other place kept pushing for the internet and no one was helpful there.Once the phone line worked, a lady was nice and said use the internet!Had to go in person;TIP, You are ELDERLY so bring your cane and either go up to the secuitry guard and tell him you need assistance. Your health does not allow you to wait.Hopefully they will give you a express number to wait. They put you towards the front of the waiting line, maybe a handful of people in front of you number instead of 100.99 percent of those waiting have time, in their 20,s.Sorry the tummy issues are still flaring up; I know how that is, was so busy that I had to cancel radiation due to doctors orders for 2 weeks back during treatment.Even picked up a pack of adult nappies just in case!! It was a nightmare, 10 or more trips a day without even eating.Gross!Every penny saved is a penny earned, weird to sit in the dark. - @Marilyn Tassy


We have also found ourselves sitting on the dark at the Docs.  Well, whatever. I'm not in a rush but I don't like sitting for long periods as it makes my hip hurt.   


That's a really good tip on taking my stick with us to Immigration. I don't feel I am elderly but I suppose I'm getting there.   


Their office hours are terrible.  0800-1400h Monday to Thursday, 0800-1200h Friday.   This is at Budafoki út 60, district 11 - that's our one.   It means wasting probably a whole day on this stuff simply because they are incompetently organised. Mrs F will end up missing working hours.   This happened before and I was left there on my own as she had to leave.


As it happened, a very senior person was doing the Brexit related work but that was 5 years ago.   The stupid thing is the Immigration Dept already knows Brexit Article 50 cards are now expiring.  They say it themselves on their web site which of course, refers everyone to the web site EnterHungary.gov.hu but it's badly broken. There's a con site at EnterHungary.com which asks for money (people have to be careful).


Mrs F has sent a snotty letter back to the Vizmuevek about the sewerage.  There was no way to submit an enquiry about their justifications etc by e-mail or online (doesn't work).    Luckily I have found all the photos of the pipe installation/repair when we had building work done.  It shows everything. It was useful to take photos to document it. We were really upset to get such a rude threatening letter.   Your hubby is right, it's a money grab.  Someone might cough up so just a phishing exercise worthy of scammers.


The gastroenteritis is subsiding but really not good.  Daughter and I still have to recover.  We have the same symptoms.  Our son is off school but he's got to go back.  He's not progressing with it so he must be resistant.  Mrs F has escaped it all.   Lucky her!

1 member reacted to this post

Mrs. Fluffy is O neg, we O negs usually have sensitive tummies but we also are more resistant to viruses and maleria.

IDK, just an odd fact.

Hope she stayes well, someone has to hold down the ship!

I do not feel elderly either, we are not that decriped yet but it is getting slightly on my nerves to notice everyone seems a baby these days and we are the oldest ones. Sometimes it feels great to see white haired people on transportation, do not feel so alone!

I will never have white hair if I can help it!

Totaly money grab, husband mentioned the license check was made out to Peter M, his office anyways.

Heard he is going after OV and his gas buddy the billionair repairman.

IDK, above my pay grade problems.

I hope it works out in your favor with the BS water co.

My eldest sisters water heater is leaking, going to cost between,$1,000 to $2,000 for a new one; Have to get a plumber and a permit to change it.

My step dad used to change them out in an aftrnoon by himself in the 1960,s, no permit and no plumber.

Everything is such a scam!

Off to cook my duck now, hubby turned 79 yesteerday and we picked up a whole duck.

Air fried the legs yesterday now to roast the rest in a clap pot in the oven.

Duck soup too.

Instead of a whole cake we bought serveral slices of different cakes from 2 bakeries.

For his 80th we may do it up a big more.

Hold down the ship?? Fort. I swear I am forgetting how to speak proper English lately. I rarely speak to anyone other then my husband and I am starting to talk like Englsih is my second language.

Further reading