Visa confusion--any clarity welcome!

Hi all, I plan to be in Thailand from Sept through Dec this year. I am coming from the US. If I get the 90 day STV Visa how do I manage getting the additional month permission? Can I get an extension (I can't see on the official website that this is possible--says 90 days only). If I DO get an extension while in Thailand, I will have another issue: In order to get the visa for 90 days I have to have a return ticket -they will expect me to show a return after 90 days end....Will this force me to buy another ticket back (since I will really be ending my trip a month later.?..Any thoughts?

Appreciate any advice, Anya
Hi all, I plan to be in Thailand from Sept through Dec this year. I am coming from the US. If I get the 90 day STV Visa how do I manage getting the additional month permission? Can I get an extension (I can't see on the official website that this is possible--says 90 days only). If I DO get an extension while in Thailand, I will have another issue: In order to get the visa for 90 days I have to have a return ticket -they will expect me to show a return after 90 days end....Will this force me to buy another ticket back (since I will really be ending my trip a month later.?..Any thoughts?

- @ORPdx1954

Is the 90 days STV still available?  It was a special type of Visa meant for the Sandbox program during the pandemic before November 1, 2021. Now since May 1 you can go anywhere you want if you're fully vaccinated and have a $10,000 insurance. If it's still available (but I honestly don't understand why), it is extendable. If not,then the 60 days tourist Visa is an option, but it's only extendable another 30 days at the local immigration office. That gives you 90 days in total.
Thanks for your answer- I used the STV visa last year so assumed it was still an option....maybe Not, now. If it is not available, do you think I can go for 60 days, extend another 30, then leave to Laos or somewhere and come back with another 30 days? This would get me the 4 mon I need. Does this sound right? Thanks again.

According to the website of the Thai embassy in the USA (https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/) the STV "will be in effect until 30 September 2022". It's not clear if this means you have to apply for it before this date or have to have completed your stay by this time. You can extend your stay twice, by up to 90 days each time, but as far as I can see, the cost of an extension isn't stated on the website.

I am suspicious though that this information may be out of date because the same page refers to Covid-19 insurance of USD 20K (it's currently USD 10K). As you may know, the STV comes with some pretty onerous conditions, including the need to prepay for your accommodation for the whole time you're in Thailand, something I definitely wouldn't want to do as a tourist. For greater flexibility you may want to try getting a six month multiple entry tourist visa, although it's appreciably more expensive than the STV (USD 200 vs USD 80). You have to do a border run every 60 days, which until now has been completely impractical given the Covid entry rules in both Thailand and other nearby countries, but things are gradually opening up, and if you're not going to arrive before September, (implying that your border run wouldn't happen until November), there's a decent chance it could be a relatively hassle-free undertaking.

Kind of you to take the time to try and help me--thanks!!!
In my experience, when you do this it is best to fly in and fly back out as opposed to going through a land border. 
In my experience, when you do this it is best to fly in and fly back out as opposed to going through a land border. 
- @JacktheLawyer

Why is it better to fly in and out instead of doing a visa run using a land border crossing? Please tell. From many tourist locations (both to the west and east) a border is not far away and it's really cheap. Most tourists prefer a visa run using a land border instead of flying. At the moment a visa run isn't possible because of  the need for a Thailand Pass when going back. Maybe it will change in July.

According to the website of the Thai embassy in the USA (https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/) the STV "will be in effect until 30 September 2022". It's not clear if this means you have to apply for it before this date or have to have completed your stay by this time. You can extend your stay twice, by up to 90 days each time, but as far as I can see, the cost of an extension isn't stated on the website.

I am suspicious though that this information may be out of date because the same page refers to Covid-19 insurance of USD 20K (it's currently USD 10K). As you may know, the STV comes with some pretty onerous conditions, including the need to prepay for your accommodation for the whole time you're in Thailand, something I definitely wouldn't want to do as a tourist. For greater flexibility you may want to try getting a six month multiple entry tourist visa, although it's appreciably more expensive than the STV (USD 200 vs USD 80). You have to do a border run every 60 days, which until now has been completely impractical given the Covid entry rules in both Thailand and other nearby countries, but things are gradually opening up, and if you're not going to arrive before September, (implying that your border run wouldn't happen until November), there's a decent chance it could be a relatively hassle-free undertaking.

- @Retiree

An extension cost 1,900 baht.
Thanks for your answer- I used the STV visa last year so assumed it was still an option....maybe Not, now. If it is not available, do you think I can go for 60 days, extend another 30, then leave to Laos or somewhere and come back with another 30 days? This would get me the 4 mon I need. Does this sound right? Thanks again.
- @ORPdx1954

If everything goes back to normal and the Thailand Pass is abandoned,then you can do a border run to, for example Laos or Cambodia and get another 30 days.
there are options

The 90-day (non- immigrant) Thai Visa is a single-entry visa that allows the holder to enter and stay in Thailand for 90 days. It is intended to be issued to those who wish to be involved in performing official duties or religious activities, conduct business, work, and study, visit the family and other activities in Thailand, initially for the period of 90 days and then converted to a longer term of visa. It can be tended 17 days at an immigration office

Visa free entry (30 day) can be extended at an immigration office for up to 30 days. You can also do a "visa run" - Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing.

Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their type of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau ([link under review]). The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

special tourist visa

he applicant will get a 90-day visa and can renew this visa twice for a total maximum stay of 270 days. Foreigners will be able to apply for this visa until 30 September 2022.
there are options

The 90-day (non- immigrant) Thai Visa is a single-entry visa that allows the holder to enter and stay in Thailand for 90 days. It is intended to be issued to those who wish to be involved in performing official duties or religious activities, conduct business, work, and study, visit the family and other activities in Thailand, initially for the period of 90 days and then converted to a longer term of visa. It can be tended 17 days at an immigration office

Visa free entry (30 day) can be extended at an immigration office for up to 30 days. You can also do a "visa run" - Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing.

Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their type of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau ([link under review]). The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

special tourist visa

he applicant will get a 90-day visa and can renew this visa twice for a total maximum stay of 270 days. Foreigners will be able to apply for this visa until 30 September 2022.
- @Khunwilko
You forgot one reason for the 90 days Non-immigrant Visa, the O based on retirement.
There is no 3 times limit when arriving on a 30 days Visa exempt by air. 2 border runs via land per year is official,though.
@Leeds forever!

I went to the immigration office in Krabi last Octover to get my extension and was asked if I wanted 30 or 60 days...I asked for 30 and got it but was offered a 60 day extension. Was this a mistake?
@Leeds forever!

I went to the immigration office in Krabi last Octover to get my extension and was asked if I wanted 30 or 60 days...I asked for 30 and got it but was offered a 60 day extension. Was this a mistake?
- @Ontherive

If it was a covid-19 extension then 60 days was standard. That extension is now extended until May 25 and it will probably be the last one.
@ORPdx1954
Hello ,

I'm a Retired American 🇺🇸 Living in Thailand, A
90 Visa cannot be extended 30 days from what I understand, However I would suggest contacting a Visa Service maybe they can pull some strings.
I used these guys my first time to Thailand pretty good a little pricey but there service is very good.They also offer free consultation and free online tutorials.

Best Regards
Robert Tyrrell/ Retired American 🇺🇸 Expat living in Thailand 🇹🇭 :)

Moderated by Djameel last year
Reason : Please do not share contact details or recommendations on the open forums.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
@ORPdx1954
Hello ,

I'm a Retired American 🇺🇸 Living in Thailand, A
90 Visa cannot be extended 30 days from what I understand, However I would suggest contacting a Visa Service maybe they can pull some strings.
I used these guys my first time to Thailand pretty good a little pricey but there service is very good.They also offer free consultation and free online tutorials.

Best Regards
Robert Tyrrell/ Retired American 🇺🇸 Expat living in Thailand 🇹🇭 smile.png

- @Klingon63

No one uses an agent for a 30 days extension. People arriving on a 90 days Non-immigrant Visa normally stays up to 90 days, go for a border run to get another 30 days or extends it one year at the local immigration office.

@ORPdx1954

Hello ,

I'm a Retired American 🇺🇸 Living in Thailand, Personally instead of getting an onslaught of confusion use these guys , There online website tutorials are free and packed with all the info you need and they also give free. Consultations as well.

siamlegal.com

Best Regards Safe and Healthy Wishes from one American 🇺🇸 to another :)

Bob T :)
@ORPdx1954

Siam legal promotes visas that doesn't exist,and the info is never up to date.

Hello ,

I'm a Retired American 🇺🇸 Living in Thailand, Personally instead of getting an onslaught of confusion use these guys , There online website tutorials are free and packed with all the info you need and they also give free. Consultations as well.

Best Regards Safe and Healthy Wishes from one American 🇺🇸 to another smile.png

Bob T smile.png
- @Klingon63
@Guest394827
I'm looking at visiting Thailand from the UK for 5 months so was wondering which Visa to go for. I usually go for the Tourist visa which is only valid for a 60 day stay. I have never heard of the 6 month multiple entry tourist visa you mention in your post,that doesn't seem to to be an option from the UK. The STV which is currently available until September is an option but the Thai website is so out of date I'm wary of the conditions they stipulate when applying for it.  Would love to go for 5 months but the form filling  required looks a nightmare!
Going for the 60 days tourist visa + 1 extension + 1 border run + another extension makes it 5 months in total. Border runs sucks,though.

- @Guest394827

The STV is extendable another 90 days up to 270 days, or at least it was when it was released during the pandemic. That's why it's called "Special Tourist Visa". But it will be scrapped in September, so what kind of extensions available is unknown. If you're only staying up to 4 months why not enter on a 60 days tourist visa, extend it another 30 days at the local immigration office and then do a border run to get another 30 days. That's 4 months in total.