90 day visa

Hullo everyone, I'm planning on moving to Thailand and I'm going to do the 800000 bank deposit method. So I'm applying for the 90 day visa before I leave. Ive noticed it says I must show evidence of where I'm staying and onward ticket. If I'm hoping to apply for the extended 1 year visa must I still show an onward ticket?  Also how do I get around the accommodation thing as I'll need to only stay in a hotel until I find a condo. Thanks for help.

Hullo everyone, I'm planning on moving to Thailand and I'm going to do the 800000 bank deposit method. So I'm applying for the 90 day visa before I leave. Ive noticed it says I must show evidence of where I'm staying and onward ticket. If I'm hoping to apply for the extended 1 year visa must I still show an onward ticket? Also how do I get around the accommodation thing as I'll need to only stay in a hotel until I find a condo. Thanks for help.
-@BobbyLing

Where do you come from? I need to know that before I can give you a correct answer. I think you're confusing the 90-days Non-immigrant O visa with the 60 days tourist visa because the requirements you mention are not for the 90 days Non-immigrant O visa.

@Leeds forever!  I'm just telling you what it says on the website. I didn't make it up

@Leeds forever! I'm just telling you what it says on the website. I didn't make it up
-@BobbyLing

Where do you come from?

@Leeds forever! New Zealand

-@BobbyLing

There's no need for a return or forwarding ticket when applying for the 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement or when extending the stay 1 year. An accommodation isn't required. The most important thing is a Thai bank account. When applying for the 1 year extension, you need 800k in the account 2 months prior to the day you apply. This means you only have 30 days to open that bank account and transfer the 800k, and a hotel-address is not accepted.

I think I'd probably extend the 90 days at least once or twice anyway before I transfer any money to give myself time to decide if I even want to live there etc. I don't think I'd know that within 30 days.

How safe are Thai bank accounts? Is it easy to access the money and withdraw it if I change my mind?

I think I'd probably extend the 90 days at least once or twice anyway before I transfer any money to give myself time to decide if I even want to live there etc. I don't think I'd know that within 30 days.
How safe are Thai bank accounts? Is it easy to access the money and withdraw it if I change my mind?
-@BobbyLing

You can't extend the single 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa based on retirement. Unless you go for a multiple entry, if those are available in NZ. But then you have to leave the country after 89 days and re-enter using a land border crossing. Thai banks are as safe as western banks. You access the money through ATM's, internet banking or mobile banking. You can repatriate the 800k if needed.

@Leeds forever!  Yeah that's that's what i mean. Ill just do a visa run

@Leeds forever! Yeah that's that's what i mean. Ill just do a visa run
-@BobbyLing

That's technically not an extension. You'll return on a 30 days visa exempt. Then you can extend the stay another 30 days at the local immigration office. Now you can do another border run,(not a visa run) and get another 30 days. You can only do two border runs per calendar year.These border runs will give you more time in Thailand, but they will not help you to open a bank account. Officially,  60 days tourist visas or 30 days visa exempts are not accepted at any Thai bank when opening a savings account. That's why I said you have 30 days into the initial 90 days to open an account and transfer the money. You can do a proper visa run to Laos and apply for a new 90 days Non-immigrant O visa at the consulate (not the embassy) in Vientiane. There are agencies organizing those tours.

@Leeds forever! Yeah I'll just do that. Go to Laos

@Leeds forever! Yeah I'll just do that. Go to Laos
-@BobbyLing

This is just an example how a visa run to Laos works. There are many visa agencies in every tourist spot in Thailand offering same service.

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/visa-runs-to-laos/

p.s Some agencies can even help with opening bank accounts,for a fee of course.

-@BobbyLing
This means you only have 30 days to open that bank account and transfer the 800k, and a hotel-address is not accepted.
-@Leeds forever!

So I guess the detail here is "long-term" stay address instead of a hotel that allows 1 day stay.  This means it is not necessary to buy a condo to open a Thai bank account and a rent to, say, a condo that has a minimum 6-month lease will work, correct?  Or is it even enough just to have a lease even for 3 months?

-@BobbyLing
This means you only have 30 days to open that bank account and transfer the 800k, and a hotel-address is not accepted.
-@Leeds forever!

So I guess the detail here is "long-term" stay address instead of a hotel that allows 1 day stay. This means it is not necessary to buy a condo to open a Thai bank account and a rent to, say, a condo that has a minimum 6-month lease will work, correct? Or is it even enough just to have a lease even for 3 months?
-@Bigrad Wolf

Why should you need to buy a condo to be able to open an account? How long the lease should be to be accepted, is an interpretation by the bank. I have never shown any contract when I've opened my accounts,I have just given them my address, but you never know. Most banks also asks for an address back home,which is very strange if you have officially migrated. But just keep a straight face and use the latest address.

Why should you need to buy a condo to be able to open an account? How long the lease should be to be accepted, is an interpretation by the bank. I have never shown any contract when I've opened my accounts,I have just given them my address, but you never know. Most banks also asks for an address back home,which is very strange if you have officially migrated. But just keep a straight face and use the latest address.
-@Leeds forever!

I hope you meant "asks" as in inquiring and not as in requiring. 

-@Leeds forever!
I hope you meant "asks" as in inquiring and not as in requiring.
-@Bigrad Wolf

If they ask anything it becomes a requirement.

-@BobbyLing

The Thai Embassy website in Wellington has been down for a few days but is now up and running. An accommodation is required and that's very strange because it's not an official requirement for citizens from countries that needs to apply for the 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement at the official Thai E-visa website or even at the Thai Embassy in Australia. This is normally a requirement when applying for a 60 days tourist visa. Give them a call or send them an email and ask them about that requirement. It seems like they came up with it on their own. If it was an official requirement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK, citizens from other countries would have to show proof of accommodation when applying for the 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement.

@BobbyLing I hope you update us with how things go with this. I am planning a move next year, I intend to go on a Non-Imm O Visa for 90 days, and then extend yearly based on retirement.

I have found the Thai Embassy website to be quite good for some things, and bloody vague in other areas. I guess that's the norm. My wife has to go to Wellington soon to apply for a new passport, so I guess I'll ask staff there for the latest info.

Good luck!

Alf

@BobbyLing I hope you update us with how things go with this. I am planning a move next year, I intend to go on a Non-Imm O Visa for 90 days, and then extend yearly based on retirement.
I have found the Thai Embassy website to be quite good for some things, and bloody vague in other areas. I guess that's the norm. My wife has to go to Wellington soon to apply for a new passport, so I guess I'll ask staff there for the latest info.
Good luck!

Alf
-@alffvdh

Don't forget, if you're not retired and can't get an income letter from your embassy in BKK, then you must use the "money in the bank"-method, meaning at least ฿800,000 in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to the day you apply for the 1 year extension.

Thanks Leeds. Yes, I intend to use the 800k method. I will not qualify for a government pension for a number of years, and would only recieve such pension if I spend at least 6 months in New Zealand per year.

I will, however, recieve a small pension from my time spent in the Royal New Zealand Airforce, so that along with income from investment will self-fund my retirement.

800k will be the way to go.

Alf

Thanks Leeds. Yes, I intend to use the 800k method. I will not qualify for a government pension for a number of years, and would only recieve such pension if I spend at least 6 months in New Zealand per year.
I will, however, recieve a small pension from my time spent in the Royal New Zealand Airforce, so that along with income from investment will self-fund my retirement.
800k will be the way to go.
Alf
-@alffvdh

To make some money from the 800k, you can open a Fixed Deposit Account, an FDA instead of a savings account. You'll get about 1.15% interest for a 12 months term compared to 0.5% from a savings account. These are numbers from Bangkok Bank. The interest will pay for everything that's connected to immigration,costs for extensions,bank letters and copies/printouts of this and that. There will be money left for a few beer.

Makes sense! I look forward to an ice cold Leo1f60e.svg

On more important topic, I guess you wouldn't be thrilled with where your team is on the table? My Gunners are hanging on in there, but precarious at the top.

Cheers

Alf

Makes sense! I look forward to an ice cold Leo1f60e.svg
On more important topic, I guess you wouldn't be thrilled with where your team is on the table? My Gunners are hanging on in there, but precarious at the top.

Cheers

Alf
-@alffvdh

Leeds been terrible the whole season except for the first 3-4 rounds.