Non O-A Visa seems impossible

Hello. I'm living in the UK,recently retired,been married to my lovely Thai wife for almost 40 years and we have owned a property in Thailand for about 15 years. Now that I'm retired we would like to spend more than our usual 6 weeks per year in Thailand but it seems to be a bit of a minefield when it comes to long stay visas and health insurance. Getting older(I'm.61)is expensive it seems! We would like to stay in Thailand for about 5 months ideally to escape the British winter but finding a visa for that length of time, other than a Non O-A Visa seems impossible so any advice you can offer me on the subject would really be appreciated.👍

Hello. I'm living in the UK,recently retired,been married to my lovely Thai wife for almost 40 years and we have owned a property in Thailand for about 15 years. Now that I'm retired we would like to spend more than our usual 6 weeks per year in Thailand but it seems to be a bit of a minefield when it comes to long stay visas and health insurance. Getting older(I'm.61)is expensive it seems! We would like to stay in Thailand for about 5 months ideally to escape the British winter but finding a visa for that length of time, other than a Non O-A Visa seems impossible so any advice you can offer me on the subject would really be appreciated.👍

- @kevh

Why would the O-A be the only option?
Why not enter on the 90 days Non-immigrant O based on marriage? Then after 60 days apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage. You do need 400k in a Thai bank account,though. But a mandatory health insurance isn't needed. From September 1 you need a health insurance covering $US100,000 or 3 million baht if you're on an O/A. A lot of expats on an O/A are as we speak leaving the country without a re-entry permit to kill the O/A.
Hello everyone,

@kevh, please note that I have started a new thread with your post for more reach on the Thailand forum.

Hopefully, it helps. 1f60e.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
@Leeds forever! Thanks mate  I've heard of people going to immigration for visa extensions in the past but as I've only ever visited on a Tourist visa(60 days) before I've never really looked into it. The moneys not an issue even though I'm reluctant to put that much into a Thai account after reading about some of the dodgy staff, It does sound an easier way than the Non O-A  visa. They want medical certificates,CRB checks and quite a lot more besides. My main concern with applying  for a visa extension at immigration would be what if it was denied,well and truly knackered then aren't you? You'd have to bring your return flight forward,which is also gonna cost.
I've managed to find much better Travel/ health insurance cover in the UK than is on offer in Thailand for a 5 month stay at approximately 70% less!  Not sure if you have to use a Thai insurer but I hope not. Just waiting for a response from the Thai Embassy in London.
@Leeds forever! Thanks mate  I've heard of people going to immigration for visa extensions in the past but as I've only ever visited on a Tourist visa(60 days) before I've never really looked into it. The moneys not an issue even though I'm reluctant to put that much into a Thai account after reading about some of the dodgy staff, It does sound an easier way than the Non O-A  visa. They want medical certificates,CRB checks and quite a lot more besides. My main concern with applying  for a visa extension at immigration would be what if it was denied,well and truly knackered then aren't you? You'd have to bring your return flight forward,which is also gonna cost.
I've managed to find much better Travel/ health insurance cover in the UK than is on offer in Thailand for a 5 month stay at approximately 70% less!  Not sure if you have to use a Thai insurer but I hope not. Just waiting for a response from the Thai Embassy in London.
- @kevh

There's nothing dodgy about bank staff and 400k is not that much. Don't believe everything you read online. Why would your extension be denied? You just need the required (correct of course) documents + the money in the bank 2 months prior to the day you apply for the 1 year extension. You don't need a Thai insurer.
Cheers for that info. It was just something I'd read in the Bangkok Post a while back
about dodgy dealings with personal accounts but I hear what you're saying.I was thinking of the Non O-A visa because I think I'm right in saying it is a multiple entry visa whereas the Non O is single entry? We were thinking of maybe visiting some of the surrounding countries during our stay. Good to know we don't have to use a Thai insurance company.👍
Cheers for that info. It was just something I'd read in the Bangkok Post a while back
about dodgy dealings with personal accounts but I hear what you're saying.I was thinking of the Non O-A visa because I think I'm right in saying it is a multiple entry visa whereas the Non O is single entry? We were thinking of maybe visiting some of the surrounding countries during our stay. Good to know we don't have to use a Thai insurance company.👍
- @kevh

You don't understand how visas work,that's for sure. You can leave the country how many times you want when on an initial O visa. When in Thailand you're on a permission of stay, no visa. When you're leaving the country for a trip somewhere,you just go to immigration and get a re-entry permit. A single re-entry permit cost 1,000 baht and a multiple re-entry permit 3,800 baht. You can also get it at the airport when leaving. You must come back before the 1 year extension expires. It's exactly same with the O/A. No one with half a brain goes for the O/A, especially when the mandatory health insurance must cover $US100,000 or 3 million baht from September 1. You need an insurance covering the same sum for every annual extension. Be smart and don't do the opposite to what thousands of expats are doing right now in Thailand,killing the O/A by leaving without a re-entry permit and changing to an O.
@Leeds forever! Just got a reply back from the Thai Embassy in London about the No n O visa. They said £10,000 in the bank for a multiple entry visa or a state or private pension of over £650 a month for single entry. They said as you mentioned that I can extend the visa for up to a year in Thailand.
Sounds like if I produce evidence of my monthly private pension going into my bank account that will be sufficient.  If I had to show it going into a Thai bank account  that might be an issue as I was told that foreigners can't open a Thai bank account, so the only account I could show would be my wifes,as she is Thai.
@kevh
I am living in TH since 9 years on a Non-O extended by myself every year with Bank account and money in Thai bank and without insurance.
A friend arrived freshly 10 days ago with a 3 month Non-O, that he got at thai embassy providing proof of pension, and just yesterday opened the Thai saving account (for which any bank asks an additional statement by your Embassy here in Thailand confirming your datas and nationality) and now either he can:
1) make the required transfer/deposit from home country to the new account dated at least 2 month (60days) before going to immigration but not later than 3 weeks after arrival date in order to stay within the total visa validity...
or
2) use a local agency (like Thaivisacenter) that will make all procedures without deposit but paying a fee of 15,000 tbt.
I have been living in Thailand for almost 2 years. That and option 1 are my exact experiences. I did have to go to two different banks before I was able to find one that would allow me to open a bank account. I had to show my Non-O visa, show a verification letter of pension for social security sent to me by the SSA, and show anything that verified my address. In my case it was the letter that was sent to me by the SSA with my address on it.
@Leeds forever! Just got a reply back from the Thai Embassy in London about the No n O visa. They said £10,000 in the bank for a multiple entry visa or a state or private pension of over £650 a month for single entry. They said as you mentioned that I can extend the visa for up to a year in Thailand.
Sounds like if I produce evidence of my monthly private pension going into my bank account that will be sufficient.  If I had to show it going into a Thai bank account  that might be an issue as I was told that foreigners can't open a Thai bank account, so the only account I could show would be my wifes,as she is Thai.
- @kevh

Why can't foreigners open a bank account in Thailand? Who told you that? Every expat living in Thailand has at least one bank account. You must have a Thai bank account in your own name to be able to extend your stay another year at the local immigration office. There are only 2 methods: 800k in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to the day you apply or monthly deposits of at least 65k/month from a pension provider. Immigration has the right to ask for proof of the source of the money. Private deposits are not allowed. You're from the UK and the 65k must be transferred every month to a Thai bank account. This is not negotiable. The monthly deposit method might be a problem when starting with it. There's a third method,but that includes an agent and you have to pay from about 12-15k,it depends on location.

@Maxi Mari
Hello
Can I ask which bank did he use?
I believe the Bank of Bangkok is primarily used for this
purpose but I may be wrong.

Thanks

I have been living in Thailand for almost 2 years. That and option 1 are my exact experiences. I did have to go to two different banks before I was able to find one that would allow me to open a bank account. I had to show my Non-O visa, show a verification letter of pension for social security sent to me by the SSA, and show anything that verified my address. In my case it was the letter that was sent to me by the SSA with my address on it.
- @rzugnoni

FYI, there's no problem at all to open a bank account at Bangkok Bank as a foreigner. You just need a Residence Certificate from the local immigration office to verify your official address or the equivalent from an embassy/consulate. Just check out Bangkok Banks website. It's in English. At most banks the letter from SSA won't work because that's not an approved way to verify an address in Thailand.

@Maxi Mari
Hello
Can I ask which bank did he use?
I believe the Bank of Bangkok is primarily used for this
purpose but I may be wrong.

Thanks

- @scbrock

There's no primary bank for immigration issues,but Bangkok Bank might be the most popular bank for expats. It's also a bank where it's really easy to open a savings account.

@Leeds forever! well I have the yellow book for our property in Thailand (wife has the blue book)  which confirms our Thai address so perhaps that will help. None of the Thai banks mentioned any of this when we enquired. Strange?

I ended up using Krungthai bank. I did not have a yellow book at that time but a social security statement with my Thai address on it was good enough for them. Siam Commercial Bank would not allow me to. I do not know why.
I ended up using Krungthai bank. I did not have a yellow book at that time but a social security statement with my Thai address on it was good enough for them. Siam Commercial Bank would not allow me to. I do not know why.
- @rzugnoni

The yellow house book is not approved as official proof of residency for a foreigner at any Thai bank,even if it sometimes works at branches out in the sticks. Every bank has a website in English where you can see the official requirements for opening a savings account. In 2019 several Thai banks for some reason "officially" stopped issuing bank accounts to foreigners,(but several branches still allows it). Bangkok Bank is not one of those banks.

@Leeds forever! well I have the yellow book for our property in Thailand (wife has the blue book)  which confirms our Thai address so perhaps that will help. None of the Thai banks mentioned any of this when we enquired. Strange?

- @kevh
The yellow house book isn't officially a proof of residency at any bank, but it sometimes work at branches out in the sticks. Why not go to your local immigration office and get a Residence Certificate and open an account at Bangkok Bank? You do need to submit a TM30 first if you haven't done it already. A TM30 is the report that shows your official address in Thailand. Immigration staples the receipt in your passport.

Apologies regarding foreigners not being able to open a Thai bank account,turns out I wasn't paying  attention to what my wife was telling me😁 the bank said that we wouldn't be able to open a joint account. My mistake.
Apologies regarding foreigners not being able to open a Thai bank account,turns out I wasn't paying  attention to what my wife was telling me😁 the bank said that we wouldn't be able to open a joint account. My mistake.
- @kevh

You can't use a joint account at immigration when doing extensions and joint accounts are always a bad idea. Don't listen to Thai people when it comes to bank accounts. I know a lot of people making huge mistakes when listening to wives/girlfriends.

I've looked at Bangkok Bank's requirements for opening a savings account and for foreign applicants they require, inter alia:

“A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
  •     Embassy located in Thailand
  •     An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
  •     Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank”
I'd be very surprised if the British Embassy issued reference letters since they no longer certify UK bank statements and I'm not aware of UK banks providing reference letters either. My Thai wife is a Bangkok Bank customer. Would this make her a “trusted individual” who could vouch for me?

The other problem it looks as if I'll encounter when trying to open an account with Bangkok Bank is that they require contact addresses in both Thailand and overseas, and they state that hotel addresses are not acceptable. Since I expect to spend at least the first couple of months of my time in Thailand staying with my wife at a guest house in Mae Hong Son, where we've stayed many times before, and they will presumably submit a form T30 on my behalf, it's not obvious how I could open an account and deposit THB 400K into it two months before I apply for my one year extension. Any suggestions?

My wife lives in Phuket, but I don't think it's practical to use her home address as the TM30 address, as I imagine that the form has to be submitted to the immigration office that's local to the address on the TM30 form and I don't intend to visit Phuket for several months at least after my arrival in Thailand.

I've looked at Bangkok Bank's requirements for opening a savings account and for foreign applicants they require, inter alia:

“A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
  •     Embassy located in Thailand
  •     An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
  •     Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank”
I'd be very surprised if the British Embassy issued reference letters since they no longer certify UK bank statements and I'm not aware of UK banks providing reference letters either. My Thai wife is a Bangkok Bank customer. Would this make her a “trusted individual” who could vouch for me?

The other problem it looks as if I'll encounter when trying to open an account with Bangkok Bank is that they require contact addresses in both Thailand and overseas, and they state that hotel addresses are not acceptable. Since I expect to spend at least the first couple of months of my time in Thailand staying with my wife at a guest house in Mae Hong Son, where we've stayed many times before, and they will presumably submit a form T30 on my behalf, it's not obvious how I could open an account and deposit THB 400K into it two months before I apply for my one year extension. Any suggestions?

My wife lives in Phuket, but I don't think it's practical to use her home address as the TM30 address, as I imagine that the form has to be submitted to the immigration office that's local to the address on the TM30 form and I don't intend to visit Phuket for several months at least after my arrival in Thailand.

- @Retiree
Your wife can only vouch for you if she's a well-known customer at her branch.
The note about not allowing a hotel address is quite new. It didn't exist earlier,but I do understand the reason for it. About an address back home even if you have officially migrated is no problem. You just use your old address, they won't check if you're staying there or not. (Kasikorn Bank also wants an address back home.) Bangkok Banks branches very often don't care about small requirement changes. I have never heard about anyone being rejected when having a Residence Certificate from the local immigration office. I used that when I opened a savings account years ago in Jomtien. But to get that certificate (and to meet the banks requirements), you need a proper address which is official via a TM30 report (which is free). In my opinion opening an account is way more important than staying in a guesthouse up north. I would start in Phuket, using your wives address as your home address.Submit the TM30 report in Phuket.You just need a copy of her blue house book and copies of her Thai ID-card,both sides and signed by her at the bottom in blue ink plus the standard copies from your passport,the first page,entry stamp and copy of your 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa. These copies have to be signed by you at bottom in blue ink. The TM30 is free of charge and immigration will staple the receipt in your passport. Now you have an official address and can apply for the Residence Certificate. You'll need the same copies from your passport and a copy of the TM30 receipt plus two 4x6cm photos. The cost differs between immigration offices,some charges 300 baht or sometimes more if you want the certificate same day. If you start with having a vacation up north instead of opening an account to be able to transfer 400k from abroad two months prior to the day you apply for the extension, then you're screwed and your only option will be using an agent to get your extension.

@Leeds forever! Cheers,at least I know I will be able to open an account in my own name so that's good. Trouble is,over here,when enquiring about visas the Thai Embassy are a bit vague with the amount of information they give you. They don't give you straight answer to a simple question,which is frustrating.

@Leeds forever! Cheers,at least I know I will be able to open an account in my own name so that's good. Trouble is,over here,when enquiring about visas the Thai Embassy are a bit vague with the amount of information they give you. They don't give you straight answer to a simple question,which is frustrating.

- @kevh

The Thai embassy in London is famous for being useless and even rude when it comes to information. But they are only supposed to help with questions about visas and stuff connected to that. You can find everything you need about other topics online as long as you know where to look. Opening a thai savings account is maybe the most important thing to do for a retiree. Without an account you're screwed. One problem with some Thai banks is they don't seem to understand that retirees exist. When they keep asking for a work permit instead of asking for the "permission of stay"-status, it shows they haven't got a clue. It would be so easy to require a 1 year extension stamp in your passport together with a retirement stamp. Before early 2019 that was actually an official requirement at Kasikorn Bank, but suddenly it was gone. You will still have a problem,though when you're on a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa and need an account and you only have 30 days to open one.

@Leeds forever! Thanks for the very detailed reply. Although my wife lives in Phuket, her house registration is in Phatthalung. Does she need to retrieve that from her family home or should I ask her to borrow her landlord's blue house book and present that?

@Leeds forever! Thanks for the very detailed reply. Although my wife lives in Phuket, her house registration is in Phatthalung. Does she need to retrieve that from her family home or should I ask her to borrow her landlord's blue house book and present that?

- @Retiree

You need a copy of her landlords house book and Thai ID-card,both sides and signed at the bottom in blue ink (by the landlord).  Everything else you need is the stuff I mentioned earlier. You have to ask for the TM30-form at immigration.

@Leeds forever! Got it! Thanks very much for your help.

So.... I'm new to this forum, I've been reading this thread with interest. The plan at the moment is to move to Thailand in a year or so to retire. I am a New Zealand citizen and have tried to glean as much information from the Thai Embassy site over here and from a few visits we have made to the embassy in person. The information has been sketchy at best, but I think I've got a handle on it.

My wife is Thai born, we have been in the habit of visiting Thailand every couple of years. The last trip over we stayed for 6 weeks and I opened a bank account at a Bangkok branch "up-country".  It's only a savings account, but we had no problem opening it using only my passport and TM30, although I'm sure it helped that my wife is a Thai national and has had an account there for some years.
All this seems to prove is that it very much depends on your situation and the "interpretation" of the rules by the local branch as to how much difficulty you might or might not have.

I also note that there is some very good information on this forum regarding what type of visa to get etc should a person wish to retire to Thailand. Just to check, it appears the advice here is to travel on a Non immigrant O visa and then to apply in country for a yearly extension of stay. Am I right in thinking that an O visa with a year  extension of stay will not require proof of health insurance?

Well, I slowly plan towards retirement. I thank those on this forum who have provided good advice.

So.... I'm new to this forum, I've been reading this thread with interest. The plan at the moment is to move to Thailand in a year or so to retire. I am a New Zealand citizen and have tried to glean as much information from the Thai Embassy site over here and from a few visits we have made to the embassy in person. The information has been sketchy at best, but I think I've got a handle on it.
My wife is Thai born, we have been in the habit of visiting Thailand every couple of years. The last trip over we stayed for 6 weeks and I opened a bank account at a Bangkok branch "up-country". It's only a savings account, but we had no problem opening it using only my passport and TM30, although I'm sure it helped that my wife is a Thai national and has had an account there for some years.All this seems to prove is that it very much depends on your situation and the "interpretation" of the rules by the local branch as to how much difficulty you might or might not have.
I also note that there is some very good information on this forum regarding what type of visa to get etc should a person wish to retire to Thailand. Just to check, it appears the advice here is to travel on a Non immigrant O visa and then to apply in country for a yearly extension of stay. Am I right in thinking that an O visa with a year extension of stay will not require proof of health insurance?
Well, I slowly plan towards retirement. I thank those on this forum who have provided good advice.
-@alffvdh

No mandatory health insurance is needed for the 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa and the 1 year extension at the local immigration office. After 60 days into the 90 days you get on arrival, you can apply for the 1 year extension based on retirement or marriage. The money (800 or 400k) must be in your account 60 days prior to the day you apply for the 1 year extension. This is very important,it's not negotiable at immigration.

You already have a bank account so it will be a walk in the park as long as you meet the financial requirements. If you're going for the extension based on marriage, the paperwork can sometimes be to much,it depends on the local immigration office. Going for the based on retirement method and if you can afford the 800k,then it's really easy.

@Leeds forever!

Thanks for that, I had looked at the extension based on marriage and decided it was a bit complicated, I have no issues meeting the financial requirement for retirement.

Leeds having a good start to the season?!

Alf

@Leeds forever!
Thanks for that, I had looked at the extension based on marriage and decided it was a bit complicated, I have no issues meeting the financial requirement for retirement.

Leeds having a good start to the season?!

Alf
-@alffvdh

The start to the season have been quite good. I don't like the loss against Brighton a few days ago.That sucks big time. Another important thing about the 1 year extension. As I said earlier,you must have at least 800k in your bank account at least 60 days prior to the day you apply. On top of that, 800k must stay in your account another 90 days after applying for the extension. Very important. Some immigration offices have a so called "90 days money check" where you show 2 copies from your passport + 2 copies from your updated bank book. (You'll be handed a form telling you what copies you need.) For the next 7 months the balance must not go below 400k,then you have to top it up again to 800k two months prior to next 1 year extension. If you're using your account on a regular basis,like withdrawing money from ATM's or buying stuff online, update your bank book every month using an update machine or inside a branch. If you do this, you just need copies from your bank book going back 12 months when you're applying for next extension. If your bank book isn't updated properly, you have to pay for a 12 months bank statement which at some banks cost 400 baht and you might have to wait up to 7 days for it. Updating the bank book is free. It cost me normally 6 baht a year for three copies. The same day you apply for next extension ,you have to go to your bank and get a bank letter for immigration. At the same time you withdraw 2,000 baht,100 for the bank and 1,900 for immigration and also update the bank book. The reason for the withdraw the same day is an old official requirement at most immigration offices,they want to see that the account is active.

@Leeds forever!

Thanks for that. Very useful information. Shouldn't be an issue to comply with.

@Leeds forever!
Thanks for that. Very useful information. Shouldn't be an issue to comply with.
-@alffvdh

It's not complicated at all as long as you remember the days before and after the extension and have the correct amount of money in your account at all times. If you make a mistake and many expats have, immigration can actually cancel your permission of stay or reject next year's extension.

Married-Extension is not that hard.

A ekstra set of copy of every thing. (If not the head office for the area)

A few pictures.

A map.

Might need witnesses at the Immigration Office or at home, Some office every time, Some only first time.

One ekstra trip to Immigration is needed, As Married-Extension need 2 stamp per year.

The money requirements is lower.

Have a add option to keep the Extension, IF one want to look for work, Applied for work permit.

It is not the requirements for Married-Extension that the problem, It can be the few Rogue Office out there.

I know as i have a few of them, But end of the day, It not hard to deal with, IF one know the Police Order (Immigration Law)

And can free up some money, As the requirements for money income or money in the bank is lower.

One learn pretty fast to be prepared before going to the Immigration Office.

Kindly.

Married-Extension is not that hard.
A ekstra set of copy of every thing. (If not the head office for the area)
A few pictures.
A map.
Might need witnesses at the Immigration Office or at home, Some office every time, Some only first time.
One ekstra trip to Immigration is needed, As Married-Extension need 2 stamp per year.

The money requirements is lower.
Have a add option to keep the Extension, IF one want to look for work, Applied for work permit.

It is not the requirements for Married-Extension that the problem, It can be the few Rogue Office out there.
I know as i have a few of them, But end of the day, It not hard to deal with, IF one know the Police Order (Immigration Law)

And can free up some money, As the requirements for money income or money in the bank is lower.

One learn pretty fast to be prepared before going to the Immigration Office.

Kindly.

-@Never done that
There are many immigration offices where they make it difficult for expats going for extensions based on marriage.The "official" requirements are actually not the same. Several immigration offices still wants to visit your home and even in some cases talk to neighbours.They are way to suspicious in my opinion. If you can afford 800k in the bank it's 10 times easier,and in my opinion it's not that much money. It normally takes me 3-4 minutes to get my 1 year extension based on retirement, some copies of this and that and a bank letter (and no silly map). My bank branch is about 90 meters from immigration,not a very long walk.

I hear you Leeds.

I dont have a problems with it. And for sure, Have never found it HARD !!!

A bit more time at Immigration.

I dont mind it, I am over the time in my live, Where everything have to be in the fast lane !!!

A map we Draw once, And after that print that out as we scan it in.

Home visit fine by me.

I welcome them with open arm, Got home visit every year i was on married - Extension.

Last year i use it, Was a drop by for 30 sek.

Happy to call neighbor over or let Immigration go by them self and talk to them.

The simple ask neighbor about if we live as married couple, And can confirm that.

How long they know me/us and so on.

So not suspicious to me, Simple doing the job that needed to be done.

Again for ME, No problem with it.

Only want people to know, That it not HARD, That all.

And simple skip it, Because they think it is hard.

Many people use that option with zero problem.

But if people only read the negative review on the internet, People many times think it is that for way for everyone, And it is not

I am on retirement-extension now, And it have being 50/50 on using the same time at Immigration as when i was on Married-Extension :-)

And a few times the boss not there, So have to come back a few days later.

As the boss need to sign all stamp at my office.

But it all okay, I dont mind it :-)

Kindly.

My Thai wife couldn't believe the amount of bureaucracy foreigners have to navigate to open a bank account in Thailand so she went into her local Bangkok Bank branch to check the information given in this thread; she was dismayed to find that it is correct!

Unfortunately it doesn't look as if it is going to be as straightforward to provide them with acceptable proof of address in Thailand as I thought. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, they won't accept hotel addresses and my wife is adamant that her home is far too basic for me to live there (you don't get much for 5000 baht a month in Phuket). Apart from that, it seems that her landlord may have difficulty producing official papers proving that he is the owner of her accommodation. Is the answer to rent an apartment (from someone able to provide and sign a copy of a blue book) for long enough to use that as my TM30 address, obtain a residency certificate from Immigration and then apply for the bank account? Would I have to be living at the same address when I applied for my one year extension?

One thing Bangkok Bank told my wife when she visited them was that I had to provide them with certain documentation from the British embassy (my wife was very unspecific about what they had in mind) or alternatively they demanded that I take out their annual accident insurance at a cost of 5900 baht. Has anyone come across that before? It sounds like a complete rip-off because it's not health insurance – it just covers accidents, and even given the standard of driving in Thailand this strikes me as really bad value for money.

My Thai wife couldn't believe the amount of bureaucracy foreigners have to navigate to open a bank account in Thailand so she went into her local Bangkok Bank branch to check the information given in this thread; she was dismayed to find that it is correct!
Unfortunately it doesn't look as if it is going to be as straightforward to provide them with acceptable proof of address in Thailand as I thought. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, they won't accept hotel addresses and my wife is adamant that her home is far too basic for me to live there (you don't get much for 5000 baht a month in Phuket). Apart from that, it seems that her landlord may have difficulty producing official papers proving that he is the owner of her accommodation. Is the answer to rent an apartment (from someone able to provide and sign a copy of a blue book) for long enough to use that as my TM30 address, obtain a residency certificate from Immigration and then apply for the bank account? Would I have to be living at the same address when I applied for my one year extension?

One thing Bangkok Bank told my wife when she visited them was that I had to provide them with certain documentation from the British embassy (my wife was very unspecific about what they had in mind) or alternatively they demanded that I take out their annual accident insurance at a cost of 5900 baht. Has anyone come across that before? It sounds like a complete rip-off because it's not health insurance – it just covers accidents, and even given the standard of driving in Thailand this strikes me as really bad value for money.
-@Retiree

It seems you don't get that people are not supposed to stay in a hotel while trying to get a

bank account. You need a permanent address. That's a reasonable requirement. Where in the western world can you open a bank account as a foreigner while staying in a hotel? Nowhere, it's not possible.The document from an embassy or consulate is the equivalent to immigrations Residence Certificate, but as you said earlier,the UK embassy might not issue one. About your wives landlord,he doesn't have to be the owner. Who's got the blue house book? That's the important question. Another question is, where do you really want to stay in Thailand as a retiree? Everyone coming here needs to have a plan before they arrive.

@Leeds forever!

I must admit I'm trying to hedge my bets here. The long-term plan is for my wife to settle in the UK but so far she has failed the English exam that is a prerequisite to applying for a visa despite speaking perfectly adequate English. In order for us not to spend any more time apart I'm going to have to move to Thailand for as long as it takes to coach her through the exam, but obviously that time is indeterminate. The non-immigrant ‘O' visa and one year extension based on marriage give the greatest flexibility, but I haven't given any serious thought about where to stay in Thailand because permanent settlement is not my current goal. Is it possible to get a Residence Certificate using an accommodation address (such as my wife's home address, assuming her landlord can produce the blue house book) without actually living there in order to open a bank account?

If her place has an address I would try using it.

I don't know that it matters if as you say it's too

small or basic to live there.