PeduliLindungi app / venue entry / connection / problems

https://en.antaranews.com/news/206357/m … compliance

Spokesperson for COVID-19 vaccinations at the Ministry of Health, Siti Nadia Tarmizi, has urged all parties to improve compliance in using the PeduliLindungi application in public places.

We're all supposed to use the PeduliLindungi app to enter public places but I have only once been forced to do the deed, and the app failed on me so I was allowed in with just the vaccination card.

I have three phones but the app only works on the cheap and nasty, old Samsung, and then it's slow and bloody hard work to use.
There's always a queue of frustrated looking people at the QR code, but smooth and easy entry for people using cards.
One local shopping center has stopped asking for proof of vaccinations and, if you enter through a shop rather than the main doors, you are not asked for a temperature check - I stopped using the place in favour of one just down the road that does follow the rules. I don't fancy a dose of covid with my J.Co coffee.

What personal experiences do you have of the app and entry into whatever venues?

Honestly in south bali works a treat , no issues ,but ya tiresome to always carry the phone .

Jakarta Selatan, no issues with the app. What you can do, Fred (& others), is download your vaccine cert from the app to have it always at hand.

bennl wrote:

Jakarta Selatan, no issues with the app. What you can do, Fred (& others), is download your vaccine cert from the app to have it always at hand.

I was given copies on vaccination as well as the paper card showing I have been both jabs. I also downloaded my certificates from the website rather than the app - belts and braces

I keep them and downloads of my daughter's jabs in my family health file - A handy little clear zip file from Gramedia we can just grab if we have any medical issues. It also has copies of my KTP, all BPJS cards, and our KK. It's a one grab solution but there are copies of everything in the car as well.

The easiest way to show you've been jabbed is the plastic card that most here use to enter pretty much everywhere. I don't have the plastic card for my daughter so I gave her a copy of both certificates from the PL website. It was easier than using the phone app.

For the first time in a long time I jaunted to Jakarta for business.
My hotel asked if I was fully vaccinated but McD did not.
The rather posh hotel the meeting was in wanted me to use the app but accepted the card as a substitute, then went through my bags in case I had a bomb or whatever.
Ratu plaza took the card as proof.
All did a temp check.

I've been having a lot of trouble getting the app to work, and I've seen many others having problems.

Seems it's not uncommon

https://en.antaranews.com/news/208117/g … i-app-ksp\

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Presidential Staff Office (KSP) has emphasized that the government is continuing to work on revamping the PeduliLindungi application, which has been evaluated as less than optimal....

...............This is because several technical problems still persist with the PeduliLindungi app, especially in areas with limited Internet access, such as in Kendal district, Central Java, he said.

That could explain what's up. I use a 3 card in that phone and I know that network's coverage has a couple of holes in my area.

I'm not an IT expert, but can someone explain to me that when the app is working well for many (including me) and is a headache for many others, why the problem is the app and not the cell phone and/ or internet coverage? These are companies, companies are supposed to make more profit year after year to satisfy the greed of the owners/ investors, if the investment in new cell towers can't be financially justified, they won't be build, right or wrong?

I have absolutely no clue. All I know is it works for some but loads of other people swear a lot.
I managed to make it run a couple of times but it was slow and nasty, then kept crashing so I gave up.
I took that phone to Jakarta with me but it was so much trouble they let me in with the card.

it is a shame that they are unable to present a WORKING app and not such a rubbish

They might be open to your suggestions on how to improve it, what would you like to see changed if you don't mind me asking

Hello

Is it a known problem that the foreign vacc registration site doesn't work?
https://vaksinln.dto.kemkes.go.id/sign/in
I tried 4 different email accounts and waited 2 days, the verification email never seems to show up (I checked all folders) so I can't complete the registration.

Under about in the app, it gives you the option contact us with an email address ([email protected]) have you tried contacting them?

bennl wrote:

Under about in the app, it gives you the option contact us with an email address ([email protected]) have you tried contacting them?

Winner post  :one

I have yet to hear of anyone having trouble but it wouldn't be much of a stretch to expect it

This is good. I already wrote them on two other email addresses, I will also do this one.

I actually asked an indonesian friend to try and register, they also didn't receive a verification email. Don't know how long this has been going on but I have about a week before it becomes a slight problem.

Hii there,
i can tell some of my own experience;
You can register on that side from abroad, yes ..but you will never get any validation of your vaccine registration untill you dont enter the Indonesian Republic yourself!
Foreign embassies dont give any information about the vaccine status due to they privacy policy, but the site tells you that its waiting for confermation from the corresponded embassy.
So, this issue will be solved once you are entering Indonesia, showing all the necessary documents of complete vaccination at Immigration,  consequently your status in the registration site will show as approved, and you are ready to use the PeduliLindungi app with no further problems.
Well, this is how it workt with me .

Cheers.

riporap wrote:

Hii there,
i can tell some of my own experience;
You can register on that side from abroad, yes ..but you will never get any validation of your vaccine registration untill you dont enter the Indonesian Republic yourself!
Foreign embassies dont give any information about the vaccine status due to they privacy policy, but the site tells you that its waiting for confermation from the corresponded embassy.
So, this issue will be solved once you are entering Indonesia, showing all the necessary documents of complete vaccination at Immigration,  consequently your status in the registration site will show as approved, and you are ready to use the PeduliLindungi app with no further problems.
Well, this is how it workt with me .

Cheers.

Thank you for the experience. I will make sure I have as much proof as possible with me about the vacc if it comes to that.

When did you enter last time?

...that was just recently...november 2021 ! 🙂

I tried the app again this morning as I really wanted a coffee (Ex-wife in the house so out is a great idea :D )
They insisted on seeing proof of vaccination again but I'm buggered if I could get the app to work so I used my card.

i am a programmer so i can answer this.....

there are several reasons......

1 - it could be different phones. some older / lower spec phones may not run the app as well / slower / not at all. this depends on who did the code and how skilled they are. simply put i always have a few very old and out of date (3 to 4 years old) phones around for testing. if something works on older / slower phones then 99.99999% of the time it will work on newer phones. BUT still should be tested on a wide range of newer phones to be sure.

2 - different versions of Android and iOS will give different results in many cases and because of this testing on a wide range of devices........ (basically the same as above)

3 - conflicts. this is often called "the ghost in the machine" by programmers.  the app works perfectly on almost all phones but then a few users have strange problems regardless of the Android / iOS or the age of the phone. this CAN (but VERY VERY VERY rare) be caused because one app on the phone has a conflict with another app on the phone. this becomes obvious when the set of users having problems all have one particular app on their phone than none of the users with no problems have. if this rare thing is the problem then it can be very hard to find. error logs are required for this (the problem app sends a message to the programmers telling the reasons it failed so they can change the things that cause a problem)

4 - connection speed / timeout. if the programmer tells the app that it has a limited time to send its data to the main system (which should always be done for security) and the connection (mobile data to the phone) is slow then the sending / replying to the main system can fail and cause what looks like a strange fail problem. the programmer should include an error message for the phone's user to see so they understand the problem but again this depends on the skill of the programmer.

5 - overloaded network in the local area. each area has a limited number of connections (phones) which can be used on the internet at the same time. sometimes in very busy areas at some times of day this can be a problem. this also applies to rural areas as they have far fewer connections available at the same time (plus all the additional connections of covid apps fill the limit faster).

6 - the phone needs shouting at. very loud and very slowly. while technically this does not work in any way at all (sorry to disappoint you all) it does make you feel better (and the delay in trying again may be all that is needed to have a better connection or other phones not to be connected, see the limit part above).

**please note that running your phone over in your car may be very therapeutic but also gives no technical advantages in any way at all.

i am a computer programmer who teaches programming for anything from apps to websites to phone games and many other things. i also teach graphic design, video editing and music production. if a computer can do it i can teach you or i can do it for you. feel free to contact me if you want any lessons (currently online only).

Luke

some clarification because a little lacking in details

when i said "2 - different versions of Android and iOS"......

Google make android. the original version. BUT every phone company takes the Google version and changes it a little to make it meet their requirements a little better. so Android on Samsung is NOT 100% the same as Android on Oppo (or any other 2 companies you want to compare)

this is why i say about testing on a WIDE range of phones. just because Samsung likes the app does not mean all other phone brands will. while this is uncommon it does happen.

the error reporting i talked about in "3 - conflicts." would send the phone brand / model / OS data with any problems so as to help find a solution.

TeacherLukeWilson wrote:

there are several reasons......

1 - it could be different phones. some older / lower spec phones may not run the app as well / slower / not at all. this depends on who did the code and how skilled they are. simply put i always have a few very old and out of date (3 to 4 years old) phones around for testing. if something works on older / slower phones then 99.99999% of the time it will work on newer phones. BUT still should be tested on a wide range of newer phones to be sure.

2 - different versions of Android and iOS will give different results in many cases and because of this testing on a wide range of devices........ (basically the same as above)

3 - conflicts. this is often called "the ghost in the machine" by programmers.  the app works perfectly on almost all phones but then a few users have strange problems regardless of the Android / iOS or the age of the phone. this CAN (but VERY VERY VERY rare) be caused because one app on the phone has a conflict with another app on the phone. this becomes obvious when the set of users having problems all have one particular app on their phone than none of the users with no problems have. if this rare thing is the problem then it can be very hard to find. error logs are required for this (the problem app sends a message to the programmers telling the reasons it failed so they can change the things that cause a problem)

4 - connection speed / timeout. if the programmer tells the app that it has a limited time to send its data to the main system (which should always be done for security) and the connection (mobile data to the phone) is slow then the sending / replying to the main system can fail and cause what looks like a strange fail problem. the programmer should include an error message for the phone's user to see so they understand the problem but again this depends on the skill of the programmer.

5 - overloaded network in the local area. each area has a limited number of connections (phones) which can be used on the internet at the same time. sometimes in very busy areas at some times of day this can be a problem. this also applies to rural areas as they have far fewer connections available at the same time (plus all the additional connections of covid apps fill the limit faster).

6 - the phone needs shouting at. very loud and very slowly. while technically this does not work in any way at all (sorry to disappoint you all) it does make you feel better (and the delay in trying again may be all that is needed to have a better connection or other phones not to be connected, see the limit part above).

**please note that running your phone over in your car may be very therapeutic but also gives no technical advantages in any way at all.

i am a computer programmer who teaches programming for anything from apps to websites to phone games and many other things. i also teach graphic design, video editing and music production. if a computer can do it i can teach you or i can do it for you. feel free to contact me if you want any lessons (currently online only).

Luke

That's quite a list Luke, thanks for sharing, much appreciated. All depressed now btw, as my iPhone is 3-4 years, which is according to you as an expert is already very old ☺️.

Most of what you are writing makes sense, II do have a few additional questions/ comments though, if you don't mind me asking; I am using FiberHome wifi @ home and am based in Jakarta Selatan. In general (would say 90% of the time on any day @ any time!) I have no speed or connection issues (up- or download). Re the other 10%, we've had an Indihome tech over for just a couple of times and he told us that sometimes the wifi modem gets to hot(?) and you need to turn it off for a while. I told him to find that weird as it is hanging on a cool wall in the shadow not obstructed inside the house where the temp doesn't really fluctuate, he could not really explain that away.

Furthermore the tech mentioned that it would be beneficial to reboot the modem every few months to fix any connectivity issues. I do that now every once in a while, whenever I use Speedtest app on my laptop and the Ping number is high/ the down- upload speed seems way off.

Re cell provider; I am using XL, which was rubbish on Bali where we lived (just outside Denpasar), and it is still rubbish (Jakarta Selatan), with 2 signal bars @ most @ any one time. The ONLY reason I don't change provider is that in Indonesia you can't apparently take your number with you if you change your provider.

https://www.xconnect.net/countries-with … rtability/

Indonesia = NO

the only way is to run 2 numbers for a while until everyone you know has your new number.

as for you WIFI if you are on a fiber link then you should not really have this problem but if you (clearly are) then there are a few things to think about......

1 - talk to your neighbors.  what company do they use? do they have any problems if they are using the same company? do they have the same modem / router? this will tell you if it is the service provider or your hardware.

2 - if it a 5G modem of fiber connection. if it is a 5G then the reception is the problem in the same way a phone would have a problem. generally there is no good reason to use a 5G router as they are problematic and will cause stress

3 - how old if your modem and router? they do die of old age and do have ware and tear over time.
was it like this from the very start of the contract? or was it ok for the first (guess) 3 years and now it is starting to be a problem?
if you have finished the contract (normally 2 years) just call them and close the contract and start a new contract.
you will get
A - a better speed for the same price or
B - a better price for the same speed
(because the packages will have changed) so you will get a better deal anyway PLUS you will get a new modem / router which is more up-to-date and does not have old age problems.

4 - if you are getting a new contract then (again) talk to your neighbors.  what company do they use? do they have any problems? are they happy with their company. looking online is one thing but service can be different from one are to the next so see what is working for people in your area (under 1KM) and then use that company.

5 - hanging it on a wall? is it flat of vertical? modems / routers are designed to be used flat. they are designed for the heat to go out of the top so if mounted vertical then this is NEVER a good plan.
does the aircon hit the modem / router? (read as - did you let condensation from the aircon get inside it and kill it slowly?)

6 - restarting a router once a week is a good idea for many reasons but overheating should not be one of them. home internet has what is called a 'dynamic IP address' and if someone wants to hack into your devices they will target you by IP address. restarting the router changes your IP address for a home connection and so is just a nice and simple little security thing.

7 - contact the providers technical support and ask them to "reset the port for your connection". this is uncommon so they may not understand and you may have to speak to a higher manager. this is the connection setting from the providers end and could (but unlikely) cause this.
you will see the router restart like you have turned it off and it will come back on in the exact normal way.
NOTE - call then from your mobile as resetting the port will disconnect the internet and the home phone so the call will get cut off when the reset it.

8 - using the providers hardware is never really a good idea. if the connection was ok when you first started the contract and now is not then replacing the hardware with better (more stable) hardware is a good idea. personally i never rely on the providers hardware, i always replace with 3rd party hardware on day 1.
the provider buy in bulk and often get lower sepc hardware. it may look the same as the things in the shops but the manufacturers cut costs and provide lower spec components inside them so really they are not the same (if a commercially available brand).
modems are normally not the problem, normally it is the router. buy an ASUS router

for smaller homes with less users ASUS model numbers RT-AC66U B1 (AC1750) / RT-AX56U (AX1800) / RT-AC68U (AC1900)
for bigger homes with more users ASUS model numbers RT-AC87U  (AC2400) / RT-AC88U (AC3100)
for ultra high end (gaming) performance ASUS model number  RT-AC5300 (AC5300)

hope this helps .

link which is under review is to a list of countries where you can take your phone number to another network. Indo shows as NO.

Wow..very interesting...thanks for those hints..!

TeacherLukeWilson wrote:

link which is under review is to a list of countries where you can take your phone number to another network. Indo shows as NO.....

........3 - how old if your modem and router? they do die of old age and do have ware and tear over time.
was it like this from the very start of the contract? or was it ok for the first (guess) 3 years and now it is starting to be a problem?
if you have finished the contract (normally 2 years) just call them and close the contract and start a new contract.
you will get
(because the packages will have changed) so you will get a better deal anyway PLUS you will get a new modem / router which is more up-to-date and does not have old age problems.

The 'link under review' thing happens with all new posters. It's to stop spammers, or at least slow them down. You are, in my experience, correct. I've never been able to port a number in Indonesia.

Point three, and I bow to your far greater technical knowledge here, is true as far as speed goes (just been forced into an unwanted upgrade), but inaccurate regarding price. I was perfectly happy with my average 35mbps as it did what I needed, but they banged up the price so far it was more expensive than the 80mbps connection I now have.  I now pay about 35٪ more then last year to get a better home connection I don't want or need. As I'm limited to two ISP options here, the other being exceptionally expensive but far slower, I had little choice but to let them shaft me.

Same for mobile networks. Data packages of around 4 gb/month have disappeared in favour of big packages I never use but pay more for.

If you run through the other steps you will find something will change. Maybe do one step and test for a few days so that way you know what the solution was when you find it

After watching some vloggers not bring it up in their airport process videos, our friend here mentioning the same and finding some evidence to the same on a fairly up to date government page, I've came to the conclusion that the foreign vacc registration thing isn't a requirement to entry, and I am not even sure it is checked if you ever show up with it.

https://i.ibb.co/JzMqNXn/sad.png

Hi Luke, could not use quote for your post for some reason, I've copied and pasted your e-mail below. Tx again for the extensive and very detailed explanation, I've put some answers/ comments below after ;

"Indonesia = NO [b] check

the only way is to run 2 numbers for a while until everyone you know has your new number. [b] Check, makes absolute sense and that is probably -for me anyways- the best solution.

as for you WIFI if you are on a fiber link then you should not really have this problem but if you (clearly are) then there are a few things to think about......

1 - talk to your neighbors.  what company do they use? do they have any problems if they are using the same company? do they have the same modem / router? this will tell you if it is the service provider or your hardware. [b] check

2 - if it a 5G modem of fiber connection. if it is a 5G then the reception is the problem in the same way a phone would have a problem. generally there is no good reason to use a 5G router as they are problematic and will cause stress [b] it cannot be 5G as we are still using the original modem from IndiHome installed 2 years ago.

3 - how old if your modem and router? they do die of old age and do have ware and tear over time. [b] as per previous 2 years old, cheap IndiHome (Fiberhome) modem.
was it like this from the very start of the contract? or was it ok for the first (guess) 3 years and now it is starting to be a problem? [b] the -occasional- issues from the onset.
if you have finished the contract (normally 2 years) just call them and close the contract and start a new contract. [b] with IndiHome there is a big catch, if you close the contract they force you to pay Rp.500.000 (+10% tax!) in new registration fees before you can choose another package. The new contract is for a min of 1 year, if you close the account before that year your pay 1jt.
you will get
(because the packages will have changed) so you will get a better deal anyway PLUS you will get a new modem / router which is more up-to-date and does not have old age problems. [b] yes, there are better options when I verified today.

4 - if you are getting a new contract then (again) talk to your neighbors.  what company do they use? do they have any problems? are they happy with their company. looking online is one thing but service can be different from one are to the next so see what is working for people in your area (under 1KM) and then use that company. [b] all in all, everyone seems to have issues.

5 - hanging it on a wall? is it flat of vertical? modems / routers are designed to be used flat. they are designed for the heat to go out of the top so if mounted vertical then this is NEVER a good plan.
does the aircon hit the modem / router? (read as - did you let condensation from the aircon get inside it and kill it slowly?) [b] it is not anywhere close to the ac, following your advice I've take it off the wall and it is now horizontal.

6 - restarting a router once a week is a good idea for many reasons but overheating should not be one of them. home internet has what is called a 'dynamic IP address' and if someone wants to hack into your devices they will target you by IP address. restarting the router changes your IP address for a home connection and so is just a nice and simple little security thing. [b] check, will do this once a week.

7 - contact the providers technical support and ask them to [b]"reset the port for your connection"
. this is uncommon so they may not understand and you may have to speak to a higher manager. this is the connection setting from the providers end and could (but unlikely) cause this.
you will see the router restart like you have turned it off and it will come back on in the exact normal way.
NOTE - call then from your mobile as resetting the port will disconnect the internet and the home phone so the call will get cut off when the reset it. 😬 not sure if this is a wise thing to do (last resort!)

8 - using the providers hardware is never really a good idea. if the connection was ok when you first started the contract and now is not then replacing the hardware with better (more stable) hardware is a good idea. personally i never rely on the providers hardware,[b] i always replace with 3rd party hardware on day 1.

the provider buy in bulk and often get lower sepc hardware. it may look the same as the things in the shops but the manufacturers cut costs and provide lower spec components inside them so really they are not the same (if a commercially available brand).
modems are normally not the problem, normally it is the router. buy an ASUS router [b] we did this when living in Saudi in Bahrain, here we haven't, but can see that the provided router is the absolute cheapest of the cheapest rubbish. Will look @ the options you have given below.

for smaller homes with less users ASUS model numbers RT-AC66U B1 (AC1750) / RT-AX56U (AX1800) / RT-AC68U (AC1900)
for bigger homes with more users ASUS model numbers RT-AC87U  (AC2400) / RT-AC88U (AC3100)
for ultra high end (gaming) performance ASUS model number  RT-AC5300 (AC5300)"

hope this helps . [b] you have been a great help, tx again!

Resetting the port at the providers end is a VERY good idea if you still have problems after the others are tested. It is basically restarting the router st the providers end. They tell you to reset every now and agaum but they never fo

I'm sitting at my favourite table in my favourite J.co - sipping coffee

I can see the entrance and it's not good. Security are asking people to use the app so they're trying .. and trying .... and trying.
Many are managing first time but a good number are doing everything but smashing their phones in frustration.  The other, more popular entrance, had a long queue at the QR code, many looking very nissed off as they battled with the app.
Luckily I was only out and in at that one so I could conduct a cardless withdrawal at an ATM so they didn't ask me mess around again.

TeacherLukeWilson wrote:

Resetting the port at the providers end is a VERY good idea if you still have problems after the others are tested. It is basically restarting the router st the providers end. They tell you to reset every now and agaum but they never fo

I believe that this is done every now and then, when I call after the connection has been bad for a couple of days, they are restarting the router as the modem restarts at my end and I have to say that the times they have done it so far it did help.

Fred wrote:

Me guessin that everyone knows your face around this place if you are a regular, gettin the VIP treatment and all and being waved through @ every visit?

bennl wrote:
Fred wrote:

Me guessin that everyone knows your face around this place if you are a regular, gettin the VIP treatment and all and being waved through @ every visit?

Not so much VIP as 'know I'm vaccinated so don't bother asking again'.
Not many bule around here so I'm easy to remember. On the downside, I can't get away with doing anything naughty because every bugger knows where I live. :D

I often get the VIP service, my J.Co. coffee get delivered to my table rather than having to go to the counter. I hope that's because I'm nice to people and considerate to them so they're just returning the favour rather than as a result of my skin colour. I sometimes get waved to the front in a queue in a shop but I refuse with the explanation I'm just another dude so I have to wait as everyone else does.

TeacherLukeWilson wrote:

feel free to contact me if you want any lessons (currently online only).

Luke

Price, please, Mr. Wilson?

Seeing as this foreign vaccine registration site is still not working, and I am ending quarantine soon:

Does someone have experience of moving around with just foreign vacc papers? I see there is success here with indonesian vaccine proof card, as opposed to PL app.

Otherwise, I would just have to do PCR, or Antigen tests, whenever.

Jhoe1 wrote:

Does someone have experience of moving around with just foreign vacc papers?r.

Most places will, in my personal experience, accept paper proof. Quite how that will pan out for foreign vaccinations I do not know.

Ok, after sending emails to 4 different accounts, either giving runaround, not existing, or not answering, it looks like on twitter they actually reply. My "foreign vacc verification" account swiftly got verified manually after a giving my details on twitter, though they didn't notify me of it.

So now my foreign vacc certificate is "waiting for approval"
https://vaksinln.dto.kemkes.go.id/

Seeing as our friend said it gets approved during landing airport procedures, but I am already past that stage (in country), has anyone gotten a successful verification with this site before?

Sorry,...are you saying,   you past that stage...means you are already in Indonesia? ..im courius now..🤗

riporap wrote:

Sorry,...are you saying,   you past that stage...means you are already in Indonesia? ..im courius now..🤗

Yes I am in. And he said his status updated after passing immigration, which I already passed, but I wasn't registered before.

Jhoe1 wrote:
riporap wrote:

Yes I am in. And he said his status updated after passing immigration, which I already passed, but I wasn't registered before.

Thanks for the post  :top:

A lot of people here aren't native speakers of English so, if possible, would you make a rough timeline in easy language ?

1. did this
2. did that .....

I'm will to bet a good few people will find a post like that very helpful.