PR in Malaysia

I saw this article https://www.propertyguru.com.my/propert … ysia-22118 saying there are 5 ways to be a permanent resident (PR) in Malaysia...Investor, Expert, Professional, Point-based system and Spouse of Malaysian citizen as long as they are more than 5 years living in Malaysia. Anyone expert on this or experience applying before? I ask before at PR dept in immigration Putrajaya 5 years ago as we have been live in Malaysia using EP for more than 10 years at that time but the officer there said its only applicable for those who's spouse are Malaysian citizen, there's no other way to apply except this.

snsb2006 wrote:

I saw this article https://www.propertyguru.com.my/propert … ysia-22118 saying there are 5 ways to be a permanent resident (PR) in Malaysia...Investor, Expert, Professional, Point-based system and Spouse of Malaysian citizen as long as they are more than 5 years living in Malaysia. Anyone expert on this or experience applying before? I ask before at PR dept in immigration Putrajaya 5 years ago as we have been live in Malaysia using EP for more than 10 years at that time but the officer there said its only applicable for those who's spouse are Malaysian citizen, there's no other way to apply except this.

Have you contacted an immigration attorney?

It's still possible to become a PR. Even though it's not as simple as ticking off a list of check boxes--that "Spouse of a Malaysian" citizen still helps. Yet, I've heard of people here for 15 years and married to a Malaysian, who still aren't citizens.

It's honestly about how valuable you are to the Rakyat and who's sponsoring your application.

FireRooster1 wrote:

It's still possible to become a PR. Even though it's not as simple as ticking off a list of check boxes--that "Spouse of a Malaysian" citizen still helps. Yet, I've heard of people here for 15 years and married to a Malaysian, who still aren't citizens.

It's honestly about how valuable you are to the Rakyat and who's sponsoring your application.

You seem to be conflating PR and citizenship; they are different. There is a points system for PR, but it's almost impossible to qualify unless you are a close blood relative of a Malaysian.

Citizenship? Heck, even Malaysian couples who have children born abroad are struggling to get their child registered as Malaysian citizens. Expats, forget it!

Cobolin wrote:
FireRooster1 wrote:

You seem to be conflating PR and citizenship; they are different. There is a points system for PR, but it's almost impossible to qualify unless you are a close blood relative of a Malaysian.

Citizenship? Heck, even Malaysian couples who have children born abroad are struggling to get their child registered as Malaysian citizens. Expats, forget it!

I know several people who are PRs (all Mat Salleh), based primarily on their contributions to the country.

One famous example you could also look up is "Mat Dan", Kareef Daniel bin Abdullah (formerly: Daniel Tyler).

I'm acutely aware of the difference between citizenship and PR.